Quantcast

Melbourne

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I spent 6 months there. There are no mountains around Melbourne. Geelong has some great stuff from what I heard.

If you get a chance stop by Cherry's Bar(downtown somewhere) on a Thursday night. Ask around for a girl named Liz. She'll have a crap load of blonde hair and a big butt. Tell her Ryan misses her.

Melbourne is rad, forget about riding and just go live it up.

The Ito

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
ito said:
I spent 6 months there. There are no mountains around Melbourne. Geelong has some great stuff from what I heard.

If you get a chance stop by Cherry's Bar(downtown somewhere) on a Thursday night. Ask around for a girl named Liz. She'll have a crap load of blonde hair and a big butt. Tell her Ryan misses her.

The Ito
Dunno which Melbourne you went to, but it's got more mountains nearby than Geelong. Geelong isn't a mountain range, it's just a smaller city further around the bay, and it's not particularly hilly.

There's nothing right in the city, but there are a number of DH tracks within 60-90 mins drive of the city centre (Dandenongs, You Yangs, Kinglake etc) and obviously more the further you're willing to travel. There's plenty of people down here doing runs every weekend so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to give you a lift out to some of the tracks.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
thaflyinfatman said:
Dunno which Melbourne you went to, but it's got more mountains nearby than Geelong. Geelong isn't a mountain range, it's just a smaller city further around the bay, and it's not particularly hilly.

There's nothing right in the city, but there are a number of DH tracks within 60-90 mins drive of the city centre (Dandenongs, You Yangs, Kinglake etc) and obviously more the further you're willing to travel. There's plenty of people down here doing runs every weekend so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to give you a lift out to some of the tracks.
Sorry, spoiled southern california boy. If the trail isn't next to my house I'm probably not going to find it.

And I've seen driveways with more elevation change than the Dandenongs :p

I know Oz has a great DH scene, but while I was there I couldn't find much of a riding community and saw maybe one trail(believe me, I looked). Some seriously cool urban though. New Zealand on the other hand....spent two weeks there and had enough ride offers to keep me busy for the next 6 months.

The Ito

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ito said:
New Zealand on the other hand....spent two weeks there and had enough ride offers to keep me busy for the next 6 months.

The Ito
Uh-oh...them's fightin' words...

Sep 29, 2004
ito said:

The Ito
thatd make for a weird conversation

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
Ya that would be kinda weird. "So yea this dude called Ryan really missses you." "Aww how do u know Ryan." "We are internet frineds." "O your into that kind of stuff.....ok bye"

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ito said:
Sheep fvcker.

Now THOSE are fightin' words.
No, no, that's a friendly term of endearment murmured genially over pints AFTER the fight...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ito said:
That's why I like you Aussies. You drink pints before the fight, during the fight, and after the fight.

The Ito
Hey, Partsy, you damned American...how's that feel???

(Ito, man, I was born in New York and have never even visited Oz...just NZ for a few months, earning me the ire of many of my Aussie friends. But the sheep there were less worn-out and haggard, so I thought it'd be a nicer fit.

I do plan on hitting Melbourne and seeing a friend of mine when I have the chance, though. And I was planning on spending a few months in Oz with a chick in Cairns until I found out she had hepatitis C and hadn't bothered to tell me...)

MD

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
MikeD said:
Hey, Partsy, you damned American...how's that feel???

MD
don t make me send the boys out to take away ya diplomatic passport mate...

i m about 5% american... 95 % aussie... actually, in all honesty i m pretty stoked with our sit'n... the missus and i have the best of both worlds...