Quantcast

Melissa Hauschildt Dominates Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Specialized’s Melissa Hauschildt bested an international field at the Ironman 70.3 Augusta on Sunday, taking the 2012 edition of the race by a staggering 6:11.</p><p>
</p><p>
The race, which set a new WTC Ironman 70.3 record with over 3000 athletes starting in the Savannah River, was the largest Ironman 70.3 in the history of the event.</p><p>
</p><p>
After the massive start, one of the pre-race favorites, Emma-Kate Lidbury took the lead after the swim. </p><p>
</p><p>
“I had a good bike and caught the leader at 38km. She'd put 2 minutes into me in the swim. But then I couldn't drop her,” said Hauschildt.</p><p>
</p><p>
Having taken full advantage of the unique aerodynamic, fit, and hydration benefits of her purpose-built S-Works Shiv, Hauschildt was able to turn in a scorching run on the streets of Augusta. Once out of her S-Works Trivent shoes in the second transition, the Australian outran the field by over six minutes to a convincing victory. </p><p>
</p><p>
“I finally got my run legs back,” she said. “I felt really good, really comfortable. I entered T2 only seconds ahead of her but then had made a 5 min gap by half way. The run course was two laps up and down the same streets so the spectators were continuous - was pretty awesome!”</p><p>
</p><p>
Lidbury ended up holding on for second, while Ukrainian Tamara Koulina finished third.</p><p>
</p><p>
1. Melissa Hauschildt (AUS) 4:06:56</p><p>
2. Emma-Kate Lidbury (GBR) 4:13:07</p><p>
3. Tamara Kozulina (UKR) 4:20:15</p><p>
4. Anna Cleaver (USA) 4:22:55</p><p>
5. Charisa Wernick (USA) 4:23:57</p>

More...