Quantcast

Mellow fun ride – Chiquita Trail

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
So after last weekend’s grueling pedal to the top of one of the local peaks (which now looks so much smaller than the one we skipped...damnit), we decided to hit a more relaxed trail.

We shuttled out to the top of Old San Juan trail and took it to the Chiquita split. Chiquita is a very fun and fast trail with only a couple of climbing sections.

Old San Juan starts out fairly open, just a lot of low brush, -BB- and Darkstar joined me on this ride:

Shortly after turning off ‘Old San Juan’ we get to what I really enjoy about Chiquita – it goes through the woods, has roots and rocks, and doesn’t require a lot of climbing through those sections. Kinda reminds me of riding in New England:

Darkstar pointing out the correct path to –BB-:

One bad thing about riding right now, if you are allergic to pollen – don’t do this trail!!!

After a while in the trees you pop out to a waterfall. Very nice area to catch your breath and grab a snack while enjoying the day. No pictures this time b/c there was not a lot of water flowing, and I was getting ready (mentally) for the climb out. It wasn’t as bad as I had remembered it, but then again after last weekends 4300’ climb what would be…

The downhill section of this trail is a LOT of fun. It is fast, fairly open, and filled with technical sections (rock spines, jumps, switchbacks…):

Let’s go do that one again!

Switchbacks:

After that it’s in the woods one last time, love this spot:

And despite some difficulties… so did –BB-

The one thing I don’t like about this trail is the climb out. Nothing too technical, just a mile long grind back to the parking lot. Starts out in the woods and quickly opens up so that you’re exposed to the sun just as it’s getting hot… a real buzz kill.

Looks like someone didn’t see ‘Finding Nemo’…(some of you will get that).