Quantcast

melting ice, rising waters

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
interesting article from sciam.com: A Deep Thaw: How Much Will Vanishing Glaciers Raise Sea Levels?
Greenland, the world's largest island, holds enough ice to raise global sea levels by 23 feet (seven meters). Add the ice sheets of Antarctica and the oceans would deepen more than 200 feet (60 meters). Satellite measurements from space and speed measurements on land confirm that Greenland's glaciers are melting and on the move. And although the picture is less clear in Antarctica, the global warming seems to be having an impact there, too.

So the question is: How much—and how soon—will sea level rise?

New research from glaciologist Tad Pfeffer of the University of Colorado at Boulder and colleagues published in Science attempts to better estimate the possible sea level rise over the next century by measuring the speed at which the world's glaciers—in Greenland and Antarctica but also the many mountain ice sheets throughout the globe—are actually speeding to the sea as well as how swiftly they may melt.

"What would the flow velocities of the ocean-ending outlet glaciers have to be," if Greenland alone was to raise sea level by just six feet (two meters)? "The answer turned out to be huge: about 49 kilometers [30 miles] per year, 70 times faster than those glaciers move today," Pfeffer says, "and three times faster than we've ever observed an outlet glacier to move."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
movement <> melting
but movement seems to suggest faster melting.

might make for weaker hurricanes/cyclones if i'm correct in that it will lower water temps (at least for a few decades, then it's **** all come the reckoning)

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
isnt movement a sign of a healthy glacier? Meaning theres enough new snow and ice at the top to begin with so that it can "travel".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
isnt movement a sign of a healthy glacier? Meaning theres enough new snow and ice at the top to begin with so that it can "travel".
Movement can be caused by several things, one being more snow pushing a glacier along. The reality is that most moving glaciers are now moving because additional melt water lets them slide easier.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
maybe the movement is due to more fertile grounds upon which high fibre grains can flourish

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
better site for space weather: http://spaceweather.com/

on balance, a no-sunspot month only means that for the 30% or so of the surface which is observable (parallax prevents polar & nearly tangential observations, and of course there's the "dark side" of the sun), there were no sunspots which were of significant size to be categorized.

oh, page down a little on the left side of the space weather page. see "current auroral oval"? that was one of the many implementations in coordination w/ noaa up in boulder i did @ my last gig for the air force weather agency.

the disturbances the sun offers up are more in the magnetosheath & are involved w/ the vast spectrum of radio. direct & causal surface earth weather? not so much. i think we have a few million yrs before we should concern ourselves w/ that.

ed: cme's (coronal mass ejections) aren't a significant factor either. recall that if the sun is a cue ball, we are a little smaller than a bb & are 2-3 football fields away. and some parting trivia: the hottest place from the sun isn't @ the surface, but a million or so miles out (3 yd line in above analogy). weird, huh?

Last edited:
C

curtix

better site for space weather: http://spaceweather.com/

on balance, a no-sunspot month only means that for the 30% or so of the surface which is observable (parallax prevents polar & nearly tangential observations, and of course there's the "dark side" of the sun), there were no sunspots which were of significant size to be categorized.

oh, page down a little on the left side of the space weather page. see "current auroral oval"? that was one of the many implementations in coordination w/ noaa up in boulder i did @ my last gig for the air force weather agency.

the disturbances the sun offers up are more in the magnetosheath & are involved w/ the vast spectrum of radio. direct & causal surface earth weather? not so much. i think we have a few million yrs before we should concern ourselves w/ that.
Cool link - reading... Thanks.

C

curtix

Hey $tickle. What do you make of this:

"But the jury is still out on how much sunspots can (or do) affect the Earth's climate. Times of maximum sunspot activity are associated with a very slight increase in the energy output from the sun. Ultraviolet radiation increases dramatically during high sunspot activity, which can have a large effect on the Earth's atmosphere. From the mid 1600s to early 1700s, a period of very low sunspot activity (known as the Maunder Minimum) coincided with a number of long winters and severe cold temperatures in Western Europe, called the Little Ice Age."

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/fsd/astro/sunspots.php

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the effect (if any) would be episodic, and not sustained. perhaps it may trigger a very unstable environment past some perceived tipping point, but it certainly shouldn't be viewed as a tap root of climate change.

not ever.

C

curtix

Is there a "Tap Root" or will it always be a collective. ( I think the latter )

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the sweat from the gerbils in the core of the earth should be vigorously observed, and of course the chinese who set coal seams alight deep underground.

i think we're long overdue for a significant volcanic event. that would be worth noting.

C

curtix

the sweat from the gerbils in the core of the earth should be vigorously observed, and of course the chinese who set coal seams alight deep underground.

i think we're long overdue for a significant volcanic event. that would be worth noting.
Got a real answer? I was asking because you seem knowledgeable in the department.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Got a real answer? I was asking because you seem knowledgeable in the department.
they don't just give custom titles to anyone, you know.

ok, on the real tip (i was a jackass b/c i had to cut it short for a meeting), i don't have a good answer, and i don't think anyone really does. look at the complexity & necessary computing power behind simulated modeling for single-day local weather events. to maintain that kind of accuracy on a larger scale requires what isn't yet available: stable data.

it's a witches brew, but i wouldn't expect we should be so pompous to think we have the power to "reverse" it. it'll do what it does & we are but dust

C

curtix

Yea I can agree with that. I do however thing that the lack of solar activity will make for a nice winter! :D Go Snow ( I ride a Roam SDS when there is too much snow for an Iron Horse ).
Thanks.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
No he really did say this " ..we have just ten years to avert a major catastrophe ..." In his little global fear monger movie.
i have never seen that movie, nor do i ever plan on watching it voluntarily.

i was more referring to the fact that you believe that the farmer's almanac is an accurate source when it comes to climate forecasts.

C

curtix

i have never seen that movie, nor do i ever plan on watching it voluntarily.

i was more referring to the fact that you believe that the farmer's almanac is an accurate source when it comes to climate forecasts.
I am hoping for snow like where you live in VA :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
they don't just give custom titles to anyone, you know.

ok, on the real tip (i was a jackass b/c i had to cut it short for a meeting), i don't have a good answer, and i don't think anyone really does. look at the complexity & necessary computing power behind simulated modeling for single-day local weather events. to maintain that kind of accuracy on a larger scale requires what isn't yet available: stable data.

it's a witches brew, but i wouldn't expect we should be so pompous to think we have the power to "reverse" it. it'll do what it does & we are but dust
The science certainly isn't conclusive but it does point strongly to human generated greenhouse gas causing warming. It might be worth waiting around and seeing what happens if it wasn't for the fact that we are in a bit of an energy crunch. It makes sense to do something about it to solve one problem and possibly take car of another. When I say do something about it I'm not talking about short term solutions like upping oil production or bulldozing a mountain top to get at some crappy coal. Long term solutions, the type that we all seem to dislike. 15 years ago the doomsday scenario was the O-zone layer, few thought we could do anything about it but we did.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
...brought to you by the same people who put soot on the ice caps in the 70's to fend off the imminent ice age :rolleyes:

...and everyone knows that the technology, science and personnel haven't changed or advanced one bit in the last 30+ years. These are probably the same assholes who said the earth was flat too. What a bunch of retards.

People should continue to bolster their denial with anecdotal observations, Al Gore insults and the completely unfounded opinions of untrained conservative internet bloggers who are clearly the only ones that understand the truth.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
...and everyone knows that the technology, science and personnel haven't changed or advanced one bit in the last 30+ years. These are probably the same assholes who said the earth was flat too. What a bunch of retards.

People should continue to bolster their denial with anecdotal observations, Al Gore insults and the completely unfounded opinions of untrained conservative internet bloggers who are clearly the only ones that understand the truth.
hey now, the al gore insults are completely acceptable.

by the way, i never said i didn't believe or support what's going on, i just find the creative methods to "fix" the problem rather amusing.