Quantcast

Memorial Day respect

gonefirefightin

free wieners
First and foremost to ALL military and civilains who have given thier life for this countries freedom, and those commrades who have fallen from other countries I have fought with, you deserve nothing but the same respect and honor.

for me personally......

Army Pfc. Thomas L. Tucker .....I wish things would have turned out different brother...we all wanted to go back after you. your parents say hi and we will be fishing next weekend in your honor....

Army Staff Sgt. Kevin D. Davis....."chit happens" ....we never got to finish those rides and I know how much you hated that route. I have been blasting coyotes non stop for ya brother! the kids say hey!

SSG Faoa Viki Apineru......AP, your brother finally got my tats done, looks awesome, you cant complain any more about unfinished work. utah will never be the same without ya bra! me and angelo will have a few drinks on your barstool when were in town next month. not a day goes by when I dont think of you when I swing a rope or load the horse trailer....

Sgt. Frank Sandoval.......frankie.....you never could win a wheelchair race and your momma dressed you funny, I hope you finally got to see the things you wanted to see. The crew from palo alto sends love and props. (PS. the pizza stain is still on the ceiling)

Army ranger Mark Renninger......I told you that much coffee would kill ya brother!, fam is doing fine, and things are well....no need to worry, I got your back.

SGT David Evans......You were missed this year big time brutha. Alot of things will never be the same.

it seems this list is getting bigger every year

Every year I do a memorial movie marathon before memorial day every year, I urge you to do the same, if you dont own them, buy em. you wont regret it

Band of brothers
we were soldiers
flags of our fathers
blackhawk down
full metal jacket
saving private ryan
windtalkers
the longest day

these are only my favs that get out the memorial day point. feel free to add

carry on!

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I thought a lot about my Uncle who passed away last year from cancer. Sgt. Robert Shure, US Army, Heavy Machine gun company in the Ardennes in WW2 They were overrun by the German Army in the Battle of the bulge and sent to a POW/Concentration Camp . Bob weighed 190 pounds when captured, months later when the camp was liberated by the Russians he was down to 98 pounds. The only reason he survived was the Polish trustees went out into the fiedls and dug turnips for those in the camp to eat. They managed to walk to the American lines in a week long journey taking everyone in the camp with them. He and the other american survivors vouched for the poles and got them and their families to the USA before the cold war heated up. Bob spent 4 years recovering in a veterans hospital from his ordeal. He never met another man that he wouldn't try to help out from 1945 until his death in 2011, as he said if it wasn't for the selfless actions of a few, many of us would not be here now

I miss him

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I always hate Memorial Day. Reflecting over friends lost in my wine tonight.

Oct 17, 2011
Burp
Love ya B, but your first sentence is wrong. My freedom needs to be addressed in the states.

Rich, white guys and oil rich countries run the world and sadly, rock stars like yourself have to get damaged or dead for THEIR bottom lines...

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
My son and I started a tradition last year and will continue it tomorrow. We lower the flag that flies in front of our house 365 days a year to half staff. We then do a ride of silence 6 miles to the local veterans home where we will volunteer with the Memorial Day program, visit with some of our friends there then head to Arlington to visit a Colonel who mentored my son and was laid to rest last year. All this comes no where close to fully honoring those that gave all in service to this Nation, and by Nation, I mean the people, not the politics and policy.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Memorial day is a reminder for the nation to remember the fallen. That being the case, every day is a memorial day for me. Not a day goes by I don't think of those I can only see when I close my eyes. Most recently I remember Sgt. Adam Corneleus. He saved my life. 3 weeks later I returned the favor. He didn't fall on the battle field, but he served his country and his brothers with distinction.

About 5 years ago, he called me out of the blue and asked me to be the best man at his wedding 1000 miles away. I wasn't able to make any of the pre wedding mixers, showers, or bachelor party. His family and best friend were somewhat confused why he wouldn't tell them why he picked a man he hasn't seen in 10 years as his best man. At the reception, as I stood there for the best man speech, he got up and stood next to me and took the mic.

He closed his eyes, and with a cracking sobbing voice, he relived the day I pulled him away from the grenade he didn't see coming. He opened his eyes and apologized to his family and his new wife for the secrecy, and explained how I was responsible for his standing there the altar. His new wife with tears in her eyes, stood up, kissed me, held my face, and thanked me for saving her husband. Throughout the night, I think I shook hands and hugged just about everyone in the room.

Adam died 2 years ago from a bacterial infection he got working as an EMT. He was buried with full honors. His widow again kissed me and thanked me for her husband. I miss you brother.

Yesterday, I watched "The War", by Ken Burns.
Later I'll watch Band of Brothers, Green Berets, and Jarhead

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
This has always bothered me. It is not a day to celebrate. It's like it has become an early July 4th... Which is almost disrespectful. "Have a good memorial day!" has always bothered me, and I'm not even military.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I know many who have served and lived. I know none who have served and died. Right now, one of my best friends is serving. It is bad enough that I have to remember him until he returns, it would be be devastating if remembering him was my only option.

I thank all those who have given all.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Yesterday, and every other day, I remember:

Grampa (Col. T.G. Bowie)
Gramma (Lt. M.R. Bowie)
Grandpa (Sgt. D. Shriver)
Uncle Jerry, who I never met, but have a feeling that your MIA status was because you wanted to stay behind and make a life... based on all the stories I heard, and I feel priviledged to share your blood (Sgt Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver) http://www.170thahc.org/FOB2/Shriver-Jerry-M.html <--read about him... amazing stories.
The Army Rangers I knew so briefly before their young lives were given to protect ours both mentally and physically.
And also those who have lived to tell their tales, thank you.