Quantcast

Memorial Day Ride at Hawes

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
A friend I ride with occassionally put together a nice outing at Hawes in East Mesa today. Got to meet a new group of riders and had an excellent day on the trail. I think for the first time ever, I got stuck out front and the group was kind of spread out which offered the opportunity to take a lot of shots. Did some good climbing and got to try out the hard tail on some interesting terrain. It rocked! Hope you enjoy.

Another beautiful AZ sunrise.

5:00 AM - In route 45 miles across town to make the 5:30 ride time.

On the TRW Trail connecting to Hawes headed into the sun.

Along the east end of the TRW Trail

Coming off the catwalk on Hawes

Sharing the trail with runners.

Regroup.

Great riding conditions today!

One of the desert castles along the trail- I think I could live here.

View from the top.

Guy on a Walmart bike we encountered on the trail. He was headed down one of the steeper sections in the trail system. I didn't see him or any bike parts along the drop so I guess he made it.

Heading down.

This is a fun, long steep drop with several sharp turns and a more than a few large rubber erosion strips

Around the bend.

A rider who wasn't in our group that I felt obligated to take a picture of.

The group spread out along the Ridge Trail.

My friend's first triumph over this climb.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Nice photos - one quick question - much of the trail you show looks to be at least double track if not wider - is there a lot of tight single track out there as well??

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Curious, what was the temp at that time of day? Whats would the peak temp have been during the day? Aaaannnnd, is it a dry heat?

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
The temps were unseasonably cool (for us at least), but the heat is the reason for the early start times. We were probably out for about two and a half - three hours. I believe the temps stayed in the 90's yesterday- 93 today and 108 by Thursday. All of Hawes is single track some of it wide, some that we didn't ride is kind of technical with some very steep climbs. There's tons of cactus close to the trail, I guess we are just used to it. The TRW connector has a couple of wide spots but also some sweet single track, it's only two miles in length. It was 92 miles over to the trail and back and I was home by 10:15. Dry heat = good.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nice! That desert house wasn't there the first few times I rode Hawese and then last time I was there, it had appeared from nowhere!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Heidi said:
Nice! That desert house wasn't there the first few times I rode Hawese and then last time I was there, it had appeared from nowhere!
When I used to ride Hawes(~1990's), there was 'nothing' out there. No houses, no nothing.

I rode it with Douglas the day before the Old Pueblo race and had a great ride, but damn there were a lot of new houses out there. We rode through one neighborhood and had to stop a couple times just to admire these 'desert mansions'.