Quantcast

Memorial Day Ride/Hike in VA

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
This weekend the girl and I took a little trip to DC's back yard down near Massanutten mountain in Virginia. Our hiking took us up Duncan Knob, which was a difficult and rewarding climb to a seldom visited but spectacular rock outcropping atop the 2500 ft peak. The last half mile was pretty much straight up a rock fall, complete with loose boulders and big leaps, all of it very challenging with a full pack on. It was hot and rather buggy at the top, but the campsite more than made up for it. We perched the tent right on the edge of the cliff and made our kitchen under the overhanging rocks.

The boulders:

Our spot at the top:

The views:

The fire:

The next morning, we climbed back down the ridge to the vehicle and drove the 30 miles north to Elizabeth's Furnace. In had been hearing about this place for ages, and I must say I was blown away. The trails system was extensive and well maintained, the mountains were big and rocky, and the singletrack was the most fun I've had on two wheels in quite some time. Not only was the area unbelievably beautiful, it's just tech enough to provide a real challenge without losing the speed and flow. Because we got a rather late start and were already tired from hiking, we parked at the E's Furnace parking lot down by the creek and climbed up the Tuscarora trail until we got tired. Not sure how far we got, but the descent was a serious forearm burner.

My STPXC tore the trails apart and has confirmed its place in my heart with the addition of the longest seatpost money can buy:

Frolicking amongst the mountain laurels:

Emily bombing the downhill right behind me:

When you get done with the ride, take the opportunity to head down to the creek and dip your toes in. All in all a great weekend.