Quantcast

MENDOCINO MOUNTAIN BIKING - Northern California Coastal Greatness!

Roo Harris

Chimp
Sep 2, 2013
Little River CA
I'm new to this forum, but have been posting to MTBR for years. Actually, after having a number of email conversations with Vernon Felton, I thought it was important to bring our area to this forum. Bike magazine will eventually discover we are the new up and comer ride destination on the MTB block.

The northern coast of California, specifically the Mendocino area has an undiscovered trail system laden with hundreds of miles of great single and double track within California's largest state forest. At 48,000+ acres of towering redwoods, nothing in the state can eclipse this incredible fact.

mendocino bay.jpg

We're similar to the economic situations that Moab, Oakridge and Fruita once experienced. Primarily a fishing, logging and tourist region we have fallen on hard times. The recession continues in our remote region (Three hours north of San Francisco) as the timber and fishing industries have turned their toes up, with the exception of tourism which seems to keep us barely afloat.

The beauty here is unbelievable. To many of us, it is about as close to Paradise as one would want. It is a classic Mediterrainean environment. Coupled with this fact, we have an extensive MTB trail system to boot! It is classic XC type riding. Lots of climbing with the expected downhill rewards for your pleasure. It is not a freeriding area. You have to earn your fun here, but hell, what is pleasure without the work?

roo nick 2 endo.jpg

To facilitate the economic boost we need, a group of us, AKA: Mendocino Coast Cyclists, have decided to relinquish the hard kept secret of this undiscovered slice of riding heaven. To do so, I wrote a trail guidebook (Mountain Biking the Mendocino Coast and Beyond) 3 years ago, now in it's 2nd edition, to help alleviate the strain on Search and Rescue so that new riders could actually find their way around the many hidden and unsigned trails. Most routes range from 15 to 30 miles with an average elevation gain of 1,700' to 4,000'. If someone is so inclined, I have also created a 103 mile route to challenge any masochistic testosterone driven biker with a breath taking 17,895 ' of elevation gain. Course record to date is 13 hours and 31 minutes (seconds don't count yet) set by the incomparable Brian Astell. For any noobie coming here, a word of advice: Bring tons of water and food for each ride! Bonking has become a new form of volunteer hazing if rides are not carefully planned. A local guide service, Mendocino Bike Sprite (http://www.mendobikesprite.com/Mendo_Bike_Sprite/Home.html), is available any time. Amy Wynn has created a service employing pro riders as well as seasoned vets who know the trails better than anyone out here.

Come on up and enjoy getting out of the heat of the interior. Give us a try, you won't be disappointed!

blur roonick.jpg

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
when will this be back in stock? i need to pick one of these up, as ive always wanted to go ride in the mendo forest.
http://www.mendobikesprite.com/Mendo_Bike_Sprite/Online_Store.html

and how xc do you mean when you say 'classic xc type riding'. is the single track super tame or something? as already stated, i want to go, but if im driving 4 hours to go there, i want something a little more than 'xc trails'

oh and thanks for the review and pix!

Last edited:

Roo Harris

Chimp
Sep 2, 2013
Little River CA
Classic XC riding requires one to enjoy narrow single track with tons of climbing and deserved downhills. Our reputation for becoming a destination biking area has already gotten firmly entrenched in the Bay area. The M5 and other races are becoming a big hit here.
There is nothing to jump off of here. No shuttles to the top for those gonzo nuts who only want to be serviced by gravity. Nope you got to earn that gravity and be in shape to ride our trails. Nothing tame except beginner rides and there are only 3 out of the 25 in the guidebook.
No new printing in the near future. Too expensive until the demand warrants. Catch-A-Canoe and MacCallum House in Mendo have some left. In FTB the Outdoor store should have a few left too. Be a pioneer and come on over to a whole new area of riding. A number of Sacramento people have already visited here. We will be discovered soon. If you are unsure of where to ride while here get in with Mendocino Bikesprite guide service. Fun people who know how to ride. Look forward to your visit. Pizza is damn good too at Piaci in FTB.

Last edited: