Quantcast

Menus in a web page, Help?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Hi Gang, can you point me to some resources for how to make drop down ( mouseover) menus in a navigation bar? I am strictly self taught for web page stuff, and I don't even know the name of what I am trying to do.

Here's the site,
http://www.stevedeutschmusic.com/
I built it for my brother, and the navigation menu is just getting too big and cumbersome. I'd like to consolidate a lot of the items. Be nice to me, I know the index page needs some work - I had to throw a quick update on it as he just opened a storefront.

My most used resource is HTML 5 for the World Wide Web by Liz Castro, it's been a very good book to learn from. But like I said, I don't even know the name of what I need to do.

thanks for any help - pointers to a tutorial or ???

geargrrl

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, let me first say that I generally hate drop down menus on webpages. They're typically not very well scripted and it makes them difficult to navigate - they often disappear when you don't want them to, or remain dropped down when you want them to disappear.

That said, there's a thousand pre-scripted javascript menus available, just start with google and type in "javascript menu". Results like this one come up:

http://www.softcomplex.com/products/tigra_menu/

You don't need to really understand much about the script to implement it, most come with step-by-step setups.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Well, let me first say that I generally hate drop down menus on webpages. They're typically not very well scripted and it makes them difficult to navigate - they often disappear when you don't want them to, or remain dropped down when you want them to disappear.
Well, that is true - do you think that the nav bar in that site had too much? It was just suggested to me from a "pro" that I should do something different to it. I know that another way to clean it up is to create just a general reference to each subject, and then navigate to it from the main page for that subject...(?)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You could combine some of those categories to clean up the nav bar. For instance - "instrument care and repair" that would take the user to a page with the information for the individual instruments.

Just an idea.....

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
You could combine some of those categories to clean up the nav bar. For instance - "instrument care and repair" that would take the user to a page with the information for the individual instruments.

Just an idea.....
yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think I might go that route instead. I need to go spend some time there anyway, I've nice pics of the new storefront to put up.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I didn't want to be pushy if you had your heart set on a javascript menu, but I was going to suggest something similar to what SS said.

You could categorize it into a "repair" section that would have sub sections of the various instruments when you clicked the link... a "care" section with the same sub sections. The link "Steve Deutsch Ensemble" and "Buy the CD" both go to the same page, too, so there's one link less. You could stick both buy and sell links into a "Buy and Sell" link with sub sections.

To be honest, the random links at the bottom of "Jewelry, photography and oil paintings" seem a little strange - I would just wonder how often someone who is interested in woodwind instruments and repair is going to take the time to contact him about buying that kind of thing? Might be an entirely seperate website in and of itself. Maybe "Steve Deutsch Art" or something.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Please don't use drop down and especially don't use javascript dropdowns. CSS ones are far more reliable and effective, but they too suck.

The nav on that page is unwieldy. Why does each instrument have it's own link for repair? Why not have a repair services page and link them all from there or something?

edit: Doh! Beaten.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I didn't want to be pushy if you had your heart set on a javascript menu, but I was going to suggest something similar to what SS said.

You could categorize it into a "repair" section that would have sub sections of the various instruments when you clicked the link... a "care" section with the same sub sections. The link "Steve Deutsch Ensemble" and "Buy the CD" both go to the same page, too, so there's one link less. You could stick both buy and sell links into a "Buy and Sell" link with sub sections.

To be honest, the random links at the bottom of "Jewelry, photography and oil paintings" seem a little strange - I would just wonder how often someone who is interested in woodwind instruments and repair is going to take the time to contact him about buying that kind of thing? Might be an entirely seperate website in and of itself. Maybe "Steve Deutsch Art" or something.

LOL, I've often wondered the same thing - but sometimes with family you just don't ask, right? But since he actually gives me money at times for this, I don't say too much.:biggrin:

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I think when I have a chunk of time ( read: rainy weekend with nothing else to do) I will rework parts of the site based on your suggestions! I'm all for KISS.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LOL, I've often wondered the same thing - but sometimes with family you just don't ask, right? But since he actually gives me money at times for this, I don't say too much.:biggrin:

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I think when I have a chunk of time ( read: rainy weekend with nothing else to do) I will rework parts of the site based on your suggestions! I'm all for KISS.
But being paid to do it means you SHOULD ask. That's what he is paying you for, to give him something he cannot himself produce, so do it to the best of your ability. Good luck. :cheers:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
But being paid to do it means you SHOULD ask. That's what he is paying you for, to give him something he cannot himself produce, so do it to the best of your ability. Good luck. :cheers:
thanks for the vote of confidence.:biggrin: I guess there's sites out there that suck way worse than my KISS ones. You should have seen it before I got to it, he paid some slob $500 who laid it out using only <br> and <&nbsp> to control all the formatting. I added a nice pic to it tonight, however now I see more than ever that I need to get that monster menu under control. It's going to have to wait for the next ultra sucky weather weekend.

GG