Quantcast

Meow, Baby....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Do PC guys get geeky enough to start a thread "Hey, I'm installing Vista", while touching themselves the same way apple geeks do over a new product?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I'm done, plus a little.

The install verifies the integerity of the install disk before it starts changing your mac. I've always thought an install should do that. So far so good.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Gibbon FTW.

Last week on the release day I opened the update manager and clicked the button and then it upgraded from the web. No standing in lines.

I haven't seen too many instances lately where buying an OS or software suite upgrade has a key feature that makes it really worthwhile for an end-user. It happens more often for businesses for support reasons - EOL stuff.

Its best to buy when its bundled with a new computer and wait for at least the first revision, paying to be a beta tester sucks. I have no reason to upgrade my Mini.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Gibbon FTW.

Last week on the release day I opened the update manager and clicked the button and then it upgraded from the web. No standing in lines.

I haven't seen too many instances lately where buying an OS or software suite upgrade has a key feature that makes it really worthwhile for an end-user. It happens more often for businesses for support reasons - EOL stuff.

Its best to buy when its bundled with a new computer and wait for at least the first revision, paying to be a beta tester sucks. I have no reason to upgrade my Mini.
I have half a dozen flavors of linux I run in virtual machines on my Imac or Vista machine. I like linux, but there are still things I need a Windoze machine for (like direct-x games). I also have half a dozen versions of Windoze, like server 2003 I run in virtual machines. The nice thing about running a virtual machine is you can usually download a package with an already installed distro for custom purposes, connect to the virtual hard drive and viola.

I really wanted some of the features in the new release of OS-X like time machine, (my wife has a habit of destroying files on her mac), Spaces(linux has had something similar for a many years time), the new finder, might use boot camp. I have an image of my original drive backed up on a 800gb NAS, so I'm not too worried about being a 'beta' tester. The 10.4 to 10.5 upgrade doesn't seem too risky anyway.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I really wanted some of the features in the new release of OS-X like time machine, Spaces(linux has had something similar for a many years time), the new finder, might use boot camp.
Still better to wait for the first rev. unless you are just testing it on the side. Initial releases are never good for primary usage on any platform - not everything will "just work". Leopard feedback is mixed just like any other OS release.

I've used VM's to perform major upgrades in production environments.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Still better to wait for the first rev. unless you are just testing it on the side. Initial releases are never good for primary usage on any platform.

I've used VM's to perform major upgrades in production environments.
We have evert thing from Unix to NT to Server 2003, to a Unisys mainframe. Vm's are one of the coolest things to come to the micro side in years. You can actually use a windows server for more than one app without having software conflicts. We have a many, many, terabyte SAN. Once we get people finish virtualizing we'll be able to shuffle VHDs around when the we have a rack server go bad. The only bad thing is the head of the micro people is stuck on using microsoft's virtual server instead of a more capable product like VMware. I'm really hoping the Citrix buyout of xensource will prove out.

Edit: We have some old software, and some really ignorant apps on windows boxes. My Imac at home has no problems, time machine is flawless although the first backup (250 gb) took several hours. No app problems, and the only major app I see people reporting broken is the Cisco VPN client. For "security" reasons everyone at work who has permission to VPN in has to have a work owned laptop with the VPN client and whatever work tools they need on it, so the Cisco client isn't an issue for me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you read that 5 page thread you will see a range of problems not just the cisco VPN client in the first post. As you know configurations vary and small sample (especially just considering yourself) won't show the big picture. The 7.1 upgrade went smooth for me but I know it won't for everyone. Its true for any OS as splat noted above.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
If you read that 5 page thread you will see a range of problems not just the cisco VPN client in the first post. As you know configurations vary and small sample (especially just considering yourself) won't show the big picture. The 7.1 upgrade went smooth for me but I know it won't for everyone. Its true for any OS as splat noted above.
I've been a beta tester for every microsoft product since windows 2.0. Give it a rest. I know what bad software/.0 releases looks like, and the risks involved.

I'm also sure you know that 90%(if not more) of home users (of all computers) are incompetent so having 90% of the comments positive is amazing in it's self. Especially when most of the users without problems won't post anything.

The only problems I'm seeing:

1. A couple of old machines, probably with file system problems, can't get the install to run properly.

2.Some old machines (probably too old to meet minimum requirements) can't get the install to run.

3. Some Adium users that can't connect to MSN (seems to be a problem off and on for years).

4. A couple of users have a problem with time machine, probably a file system issue, since it touches every file during the inital backup and preps for the inital backup. I had over a well over million files.

5. People with old versions of software, like the Cisco VPN client had it stop working, newer versions work

Edit: I'm seeing a lot fewer problems than the Vista roll out.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its fine for testing but I just won't run the new stuff as primary. I didn't do it for Vista and I'm not going for Leopard either. One major problem or a bunch of little ones - still annoying and I rather not waste my free time. Mature stuff for me.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Its fine for testing but I just won't run the new stuff as primary. I didn't do it for Vista and I'm not going for Leopard either. One major problem or a bunch of little ones - still annoying and I rather not waste my free time. Mature stuff for me.
That's fine with me. This is the first time in forever that I've gone with a day zero upgrade. The risks with this upgrade seem minimal, I have a full backup, and another machine if this one pukes. I'm covered.

From slashdot:

: Leopard Upgraders Getting "Blue Screen of Death"
Posted by kdawson on Saturday October 27, @03:58PM
from the they're-called-haxies-for-a-reason dept.
Z80xxc! writes
"Some Mac users upgrading to Apple's new Leopard operating system are encountering long delays on reboot — an experience they liken to the Windows 'Blue Screen of Death.' While some of those upgrading were able to access their computer after waiting for as long as several hours, others were forced to do a complete reinstall. Some suspect that a framework called 'Application Enhancer' by Unsanity LLC may be causing the problem, but there has been no official word from Apple at this point."

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
From slashdot:

: Leopard Upgraders Getting "Blue Screen of Death"
Posted by kdawson on Saturday October 27, @03:58PM
from the they're-called-haxies-for-a-reason dept.
Z80xxc! writes
"Some Mac users upgrading to Apple's new Leopard operating system are encountering long delays on reboot — an experience they liken to the Windows 'Blue Screen of Death.' While some of those upgrading were able to access their computer after waiting for as long as several hours, others were forced to do a complete reinstall. Some suspect that a framework called 'Application Enhancer' by Unsanity LLC may be causing the problem, but there has been no official word from Apple at this point."
Unsanity software has been destroying system upgrades for years now, and idiots STILL install their crap, even after seeing what happens. Unbelieveable. APE modifies how apps work at the kernel level, injecting code into running applications (including finder). No wonder it crashes with new systems. Apparently they are too stupid to do a system version check on load and have it NOT load up with a different version.

Easy fix BTW if anyone has the problem, boot into target mode or terminal, and delete all of the APE related files. Reboot.

The other major install issue appears to be related to an older release of Divx. You have to rename the divxnetworks folder to anything but what it is, and all will be well.

I upgraded on 2 machines with no problem. (An Intel MacPro and an older Powerbook G4 PPC). A fresh install would have avoided all of those problems for people, and is also why an archive and install avoids those problems. Unlike windows however, Mac users don't usually have to be wary of upgrades.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Just got the daughter a mac mini. Connected up her monitor, my old bluetooth apple keyboard, and a microsoft wireless mouse...Viola. We are a three mac family. her old 3ghz p4 will probably be sold to a friend who needs a machine that isn't duo core for a project.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i just picked up leopard for $29, thanks to my iPhone early adopter discount.

i'll hold off to install it until GPGmail is updated... i like my communications private. that is, besides the spewage that i publicly post here, on xanga, on my mailing list, etc.

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i just picked up leopard for $29, thanks to my iPhone early adopter discount.

i'll hold off to install it until GPGmail is updated... i like my communications private. that is, besides the spewage that i publicly post here, on xanga, on my mailing list, etc.

:D