Quantcast

Mercedes Sprinter again

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
That last thread was bastardized pretty heavily so here's a new one. I'm starting to dig these things. Even with camper conversions they get over 20 MPG. Too bad they aren't available in 4wd..... or are they? :drool:

Attachments

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I was really impressed in them as far as vans go. They are super tall inside (no slouching or bonking of head) and come in many configurations. I see them all around as delivery trucks and I hear they are going to be popular as Airport shuttles in the people hauler version. They are just an oversized tin box....more room is cool for working in and transporting stuff.

I couldn't find the thread I started about them back last spring when I first saw one on the road (car salesman was running a errand and he happened to jump out as I was walking by on the sidewalk...I made the mistake of showing interest :rolleyes: ) I wa the cargo version with solid sides, tall roof, and screen driver compartment/cargo seperator....the Fleet model if you will. Didn't geta chance to drive one. :(

Rhino

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
whoa, the pipes go to the roof... you can really submerge that mutha, so I'm gonna assume it is 4wd.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by LordOpie
whoa, the pipes go to the roof... you can really submerge that mutha, so I'm gonna assume it is 4wd.
here's to verify that.... a pic of the under chassis

notice the transfer case and notice the drive shafts going to the front and back

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
How wide is the wheelbase? It looks like it'd be uber easy to roll that thing...
Heck of a lot less tippy than a motorhome or box truck.:)

It is more an illussion of being top heavy.....the ones I have seen the extra height is mostly shell. It isn't that bad. Can't be very wide......have to fit in the lanes you know. ;) :D

Rhino

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Is that a Pacifica? My dad was looking at getting one, but hes liking the Touaregs cause he didn't think the Pacifica for the lack of engine powa. Touaregs are like 50 grand new though so he may have to get the one he doesn't like as much...

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by slcpunk21
here's to verify that.... a pic of the under chassis

notice the transfer case and notice the drive shafts going to the front and back

WHolly crap they tucked the trani up high. I don't think I've ever seen the transfer case/trani/trans shaft all in line/piggybacked like that before. Is it me, or are most transfer cases & shafts set off to the side of the trani?

Not to bastardize, but in Europe, the G500 is a work truck. At least the ones I saw.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
Is that a Pacifica? My dad was looking at getting one, but hes liking the Touaregs cause he didn't think the Pacifica for the lack of engine powa. Touaregs are like 50 grand new though so he may have to get the one he doesn't like as much...
Oh no that's not a Pacifica. Its a Dodge Magnum. That's all station wagon right there.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by Damn True
Ok, serious questions.
Gas or diesel?

.....and....

That thing gotta HEMI?
M-B diesel w/ 5spd automatic tranny. A guy on tdiclub.com has one for his business and regularly gets in the mid-high 20's hauling 2 tons of cargo at 70+ mpg.

I've been fawning over the Sprinter since I first saw a FedEx version a couple of years ago. A 138"WB, hi-roof cargo version with a few options hits the wallet for about $38k.

Way too high of a compression ratio to be a hemi. ;)

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
The company next door has a sprinter..

Sometimes it wont start even if they offer it money..

Been a royal pain in the a$$ since new...

And they're not cheap...

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I drove a Sprinter from Olympia to Seattle. Actual seat time.

My observations.

The transmission likes to rev the holy hell out of the engine before it shifts.

There is a + - option kind of a lame truck version of tiptronic or something. It lags, but is a little faster than just letting the tranny shift.

Power is adequete. I drove the Turbo Diesel model configured as a 15 passanger van. It was loaded with 15 people.

It will cruise all day at 80 mph.

It's comfortable to drive.

The build quality of the dash is decent.

It has tiny tires, which is great when it's time to replace 'em.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
The sprinter is a comercial wehicle..

Theyre built to be economical as MB wants the fleet customers such as parcel services, taxi companies, small buissnesses and such alike.

They are ment to be cheapish and run well and cheap..

Lots of problem with them tho. The parcel service people i spoke to hate them.. Unstable, breaks easily and they are slow..

Drove a older version that we had to sandbag to be able to push it over 90km/h.. otherwise it would wiggle like crazy..

But.. they still smoke those pancy chevys any day of the week.. Becouse those suck majorleuge.. :D

Got to use one a few weeks ago at the TourdeGeorgia.
Thing was pretty peppy around town. Would get right up and go. Doesn't go over 86mph in stock trim, and I don't think it was governed by anything other than aerodyamics. Foot to the floor and all it would do is 86...but hey that's cool, shouldn't go that fast on Georgia backroads anyway.
There were a few days when we had that thing loaded down pretty heavy, and it still just chugged right along. Not peppy loaded, but it got up to speed smoothly.

We were mussing to use one of those as a team equip. transporter istead of the 15passenger vans, but alas, there are no seats in those bad boys. And the people hauler version just takes away too much floor space.

Team vehicle of choice for me? Prison Transport van conversion. You know, they look like Airport shuttle buses, all squatty and bulbous. Seats 12, with a huge cages in area that at the end of the day you can lock your stuff into and no way anyones getting in there no matter how hard they tried. Bulletproof windows even!