Quantcast

Merry Christmas from my Prime Rib

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
5 ribs, 11.5 lbs of aged hereford beef. Came out just barely medium rare with the very middle portions rare. The new convection oven did awesome. When I cut the first end I was like oops... but each slice was identical to the first just getting a touch rarer in the middle.

Ended up with the standard roasted carrots and potatoes with green beans. But it was all good.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here's my entry into the sweepstakes:

4 ribs and ~10 lbs of roast beast goodness. check the food/beer forum later for other details. suffice to say, delicious!

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
in my new convection oven i did a prime rib last friday. what a difference.
looks great people.
how long did you cats cook the meat? and at what temp?

i started it at 500 and set it down to 300 for 2 hrs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i have a convection oven too, and did 425 for ~20 min, and about 1:30 @ 325 i think. it also rested for 30 min after it came out of the oven, w/ foil over it. the roast was about 10 lbs if i recall correctly.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I used the oven's temp prob and set it for an internal temp of 120. Then rested it for about 30 minutes. It was on convection roast at 250 until the temp was reached. It took about 3 - 3.5 hours (not including resting time).

No blasting at the beginning or the end. I did it last year but with the convection setting I was assured I didn't need to do that. It came out with a nice crust on it.

I'm seriously thinking about going lower for longer next year. Supposedly that makes it even more tender. May try and a experiment later in the and see how that works.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the high heat @ the start is a good idea...helps seal the juices.

if you get a good cut of meat, the time cooking won't influence how tender it is or isn't.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Since this thread is turning into a technique showdown, we cook our roast beef as follows:

500 degrees for 5min per pound
turn off oven, DO NOT OPEN DOOR, for 2 hours.

This results in a perfect medium rare every time.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Alton Brown says that the slow roasting gives the connective tissue more time to break down which leads to a more tender rib.
i stand corrected. but rib eye is pretty tender to begin w/ , and while it's got a lot of fat, there's usually not all that much gristle.

dan-o, if you don't open the oven door during the 2nd part of the roast, you'll need another oven for the roasted root veggies.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
dan-o, if you don't open the oven door during the 2nd part of the roast, you'll need another oven for the roasted root veggies.
That would explain the absence of roasted root veggies :busted:
We go mashed with some sauteed veggies and a salad.

I got the receipe from my mom :twitch: who always had 2 ovens.
She used to do the roasted veg thing.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
we did mashed, but also roasted some beets.

damn, i'm a bit hungry...i wish we still had some leftovers. you ever get any meat from butcher boyin north andover? it's pricey, but well worth it.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
damn, i'm a bit hungry...i wish we still had some leftovers. you ever get any meat from butcher boyin north andover? it's pricey, but well worth it.
Nope, but I've been meaning too. Next time we have a job up there I'll make sure to check it out.

Speaking of leftovers, my F-I-L bought a 16# roast for new years eve dinner. It was too big for the pan so I now have 5# of beef I need to cook. Maybe i'll give your dijon/herb crust a try this time around.