Quantcast

Merry St. Nick Day

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Merry Christmas to you all!

Celebrated yesterday with my parents and sister by having a socially distanced lunch in a park off the highway. Exactly how I pictured celebrating Christmas this year.

Anyway, up and alone, so perhaps I'll read a book until it's time to make cinnamon buns.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
We usually have an annual Festivus party at a freind’s house. We have the Festivus pole, feats of strength, airing of grievances, a pot luck, and a white elephant gift exchange. I didn’t realize how much I miss the good company.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Merry Christmas, monkeys! Santa did not stop by my house last night because I married a Jew.

We got 14" of snow a week ago, and rain last night and this morning has basically washed the last of it away. Our yard is completely clear now.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Merry Christmas, monkeys! Santa did not stop by my house last night because I married a Jew.

We got 14" of snow a week ago, and rain last night and this morning has basically washed the last of it away. Our yard is completely clear now.
My kid is so spoiled, he gets Hanukkah presents from wifey’s side of the family, and Christmas presents for mine.
I just give him a bunch of shit.
@Nick, I just looked at the Denver weather. High of 59?
seriously?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Woke up at 2:24am with a splitting headache... perhaps got a bit far behind on hydration at altitude yesterday while skiing. Still thumping this morning, hoping coffee and drugs help. Gonna wrap some gifts, make some 'nog, and go for a ski if my head cooperates. Oh, and I'm gonna have a little celebration toast at 1:40pm... as that's when the financée gets her first Covid shot.

Happy holidays, you heathens.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just getting rolling. Somehow the girls aren't up yet. The present stack is large - excessive actually. Looks like since grandparents couldn't visit, they decided to make up for it with gifts.

Wifey and I agreed to not get presents, but I had to cheat. She's wanted a portable vacuum for ages and the ones she keeps buying on Amazon are shit. So I went and bought her a Shark. It was pretty funny that the day after I bought it, she was telling Haley that you know you've been married for 10yrs when you get a gift like a vacuum and want it. She was not aware that we'd gotten it at that point yet. We shall see.

One thing I'd recommend for all you guys with younger kids: if they get money as gifts, set a rule early on that they get half and have to save the other half. Open a 529 plan (college savings) and put the half for savings into that account. For context, Hannah is 3 - every gift for her is put into the 529. Haley is 8 - everything since 5 has been half, since she knows it's being split. Haley hates it, but knows it's the rules.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Merry Christmas Monkeys, and Happy Holidays to the non-conformists.

Rain, yay.

On a lighter note, the wife and I chose to set up Lil Man with an account that our gifts went into. It isn't a college savings plan because we are also realistic. If he ends up going to college, we will pay for that, I'm sure. But if I were a betting man, my money is on a trade school at best.

One thing I'd recommend for all you guys with younger kids: if they get money as gifts, set a rule early on that they get half and have to save the other half. Open a 529 plan (college savings) and put the half for savings into that account. For context, Hannah is 3 - every gift for her is put into the 529. Haley is 8 - everything since 5 has been half, since she knows it's being split. Haley hates it, but knows it's the rules.
I started working (paper route) when I was perhaps 13, was encouraged by my parents to open a savings account. After a bunch of jobs and the Army, I emerged in 1968 at age 23 with something over $10K in savings. From thence to now, never paid interest on anything save our mortgage. It paid off.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Merry Christmas Monkeys, and Happy Holidays to the non-conformists.

Rain, yay.

On a lighter note, the wife and I chose to set up Lil Man with an account that our gifts went into. It isn't a college savings plan because we are also realistic. If he ends up going to college, we will pay for that, I'm sure. But if I were a betting man, my money is on a trade school at best.
529 plans can be used for accredited trade school.

For Little Man, you guys can open a 529 for him without parents having control or knowing. Whatever you plan on spending for b-day and Xmas, half there, half to him. He won't know any different and the present will be greater than anything he's ever imagined when he's 18.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Bman went to 2 semesters of community college trying to do the welding program and couldn't make it through the day. But because he has an insane work ethic, he is the top driver at work and every boss he's had loves him. My guess is as much as I would love to see his kid go to school, I just have a feeling he will be like pops.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
y u colorado monkeys steal our weatherz? high of 34 here today in the sunny south.

kids were stoked on their stuff.

chilling now while they're setting up their new pc.

fire and standing rib roast s00n.

have a good one fellers!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hello all. Honestly all the chaos and mess of 3 kids opening lots of presents is a bit much. I have retreated to another room for now, such festivities over.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
No snow, but we got buckets of rain and I got a bottle of nice bourbon and an Insta-Pot pressure cooker, so hopefully something weird will happen later. Kiddo is stoked with her stuff, so that will buy me some time to pressure cook some bourbon.

Merry baby Krampus day fellas!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
y u colorado monkeys steal our weatherz? high of 34 here today in the sunny south.

kids were stoked on their stuff.

chilling now while they're setting up their new pc.

fire and standing rib roast s00n.

have a good one fellers!
Take it back. We want snow (except @6thElement, he likes the dirt more)

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Was telling my wife yesterday that when we have a kid, I'm going to ask that in lieu of copious amounts of kid stuff we don't need, just drop some cash into a 529 or market tied investment account. Let it grow for 18 years and it'll make a nice little egg.

I started working (paper route) when I was perhaps 13, was encouraged by my parents to open a savings account. After a bunch of jobs and the Army, I emerged in 1968 at age 23 with something over $10K in savings. From thence to now, never paid interest on anything save our mortgage. It paid off.
I used the savings from my first job at 14 to buy a mountain bike. A 2000 Trek 7000. It helped launch a lifelong passion, so I don't have too many regrets.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Merry Christmas dudes.

We got a dumping of heavy wet snow over night. Nice for Christmas, sucked for shoveling.

The kitty has found a new warm spot. And I scored some hot sauce. The blue stuff is super mild, but oh so good.

20201225_121758.jpg