Quantcast

Merry St. Nick Day

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
529 plans can be used for accredited trade school.

For Little Man, you guys can open a 529 for him without parents having control or knowing. Whatever you plan on spending for b-day and Xmas, half there, half to him. He won't know any different and the present will be greater than anything he's ever imagined when he's 18.
Was telling my wife yesterday that when we have a kid, I'm going to ask that in lieu of copious amounts of kid stuff we don't need, just drop some cash into a 529 or market tied investment account. Let it grow for 18 years and it'll make a nice little egg.

I used the savings from my first job at 14 to buy a mountain bike. A 2000 Trek 7000. It helped launch a lifelong passion, so I don't have too many regrets.
I opened a 529 for both kids the day I got each of their social security numbers, and direct deposit a good chunk each paycheck into both equally.

Shooting for scholarships so I can buy a bazillion bikes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
y u colorado monkeys steal our weatherz? high of 34 here today in the sunny south.

kids were stoked on their stuff.

chilling now while they're setting up their new pc.

fire and standing rib roast s00n.

have a good one fellers!
Pepridge Farm remembers that snow fall a few years ago...and doing Laurel/Pilot in sub zero temps. :P

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Today's Christmas fun included a five mile run in a heavy rain, then Wife and I watched the new Wonder Woman film on HBO Max. It was ok...glad I didn't shell out theater money for it. I did enjoy Pedro Pascal's over the top performance.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cleaned out what quite possibly could be an alien life form growing on the backside of the filter in the dishwasher. It was a rather festive occasion.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Merry Christmas everybody.
Time for coffee and airing of grievances, but pie later.
I got a lot of problems with you people and celebrating Festivus two days late is just the start!
having coffee and watching a Christmas movie.

View attachment 154028
Wife doesn't know that's the plan for later, we've been working her way through Sopranos for the first time most evenings.
Take it back. We want snow (except @6thElement, he likes the dirt more)
Nah, I like being able to sled down our road in a morning before work, and then I have to plow it. Sledding at Evergreen golf course is also likely the best hill I've ever had access to when we want to sled after work. Then as long as we've got packed snow on the trails the fat bikes get ridden plenty.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Back from 3 days of snowshoeing in Mt Lassen National Park. My legs are fucking blown. Frist two days were cold and clear. the snow was really hard and crusty (Sierra Cement) so 80% of the time it was boots and Kahtoola Micro Spikes. Once we got far enough out I had to switch to snow shoes as I kept breaking through the crust. Ruth is 80 pounds lighter so she never had to swap over
132736775_4175215999162045_9010147235860412963_o.jpg
132872491_4175215425828769_526516210945758802_o.jpg
133333197_4175217432495235_4065418362285532684_o.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Back from 3 days of snowshoeing in Mt Lassen National Park. My legs are fucking blown. Frist two days were cold and clear. the snow was really hard and crusty (Sierra Cement) so 80% of the time it was boots and Kahtoola Micro Spikes. Once we got far enough out I had to switch to snow shoes as I kept breaking through the crust. Ruth is 80 pounds lighter so she never had to swap over View attachment 154051View attachment 154052View attachment 154053
Do Mountain Lions Hibernate?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I got a bunch of warm clothes. A cool pair of custom made Jeans. 2 No tuck dress shirts. A pair of Celestion drivers to repair the Advents. And Socks.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Got more backpacking gear, surprise. Actually I knew what I was getting, because as mentioned earlier, my parents rely on me for everything right now and that includes Christmas shopping for all three of us. Which is fine because I was still able to pull off a surprise gift for each. But the best was neither of them knowing about the cuff bracelet that I finished at 6:00am Thursday. Haden't made anything for her in years and she's been pretty down about Christmas being so different this year because of Covid. So hopefully that helps.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Got a camp chair that weighs a little over a pound and packs down pretty small. Definitely will take on shorter trips but might take it for the first month of my thru hike. Won't be able to hike 10-12 hours a day at first so there will be more time in camp. When I get my trail legs and am at it from sunrise to sunset, then all I'll want to do in camp is eat and go to sleep. Then I'll send the chair home. Besides, I got old DHr's knees and um...

The Helinox Chair Zero

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got a camp chair that weighs a little over a pound and packs down pretty small. Definitely will take on shorter trips but might take it for the first month of my thru hike. Won't be able to hike 10-12 hours a day at first so there will be more time in camp. When I get my trail legs and am at it from sunrise to sunset, then all I'll want to do in camp is eat and go to sleep. Then I'll send the chair home. Besides, I got old DHr's knees and um...

The Helinox Chair Zero

I like to carry a small square from an old closed cell sleeping pad for keeping my ass dry and comfortable. Strapped to the bottom of my pack it also protects it from when I recklessly drop it on sharp rocks.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I opened a 529 for both kids the day I got each of their social security numbers, and direct deposit a good chunk each paycheck into both equally.

Shooting for scholarships so I can buy a bazillion bikes.
One thing I tell every client:
You can take loans out for college; you can't take loans out for retirement. Make sure your ducks are in order first, then start saving for the kids.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Ok I may have figured out how in their convoluted way Photobucket makes you jump through a million hoops to share something

try this

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I like to carry a small square from an old closed cell sleeping pad for keeping my ass dry and comfortable. Strapped to the bottom of my pack it also protects it from when I recklessly drop it on sharp rocks.
I do the same with a Therm-a-rest butt pad, which is pretty much what you have. I have a hard time sitting on the ground for long periods of time.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
works for me. I think AM is just fucking with you now, Eric.

:D

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just came back from an actual (gasp) dinner at our friend’s house. It was weird to be out in someone else’s house, eating with no masks on. (We have all tested positive and recovered).
Almost felt...normal.