Quantcast

Messenger bags

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Looking at getting a real messenger bag, trying to decide between the Chrome and Timbuk2 lines. I'm looking at the large size for both. I'll be able to try on a Timbuk2 at REI, and a Chrome in about 3 weeks once I get back to Rochester.

Do any of you have any reasons I should go for one or the other. Qaulity, fit, customer service, etc? I like the Chromes, basically I'm trying to justify the $30 extra.

Thanks.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Just curious. What's a messenger bag used for? Delivering documents and sheit inner-city from place to place?

also, what does customer service have to do with a messenger bag? It's just a bag right? Why would you need customer support for a bag?

Knuck

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
a- try on the timbuk2 at REI
b- go to www.timbuk2.com and build yer own:

4 choices of material, many color choices. the waxed canvas is nice, but not the most durable- I have a pee-wee in waxed canvas that I use instead of a briefcase- it works! I also have an "el ocho" that is perfect for an overnighter or weekender if you pack light n fast.

edit: sorry- no mo waxed canvas. doh!

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I didn't really like the way the Timbuk2 sat on my back while riding.... the buckle on the strap rode really high (almost by my neck) when I had the bag high on my back. You can see on the chrome bags that they've padded out that area of the strap. I personally think the construction and usability of the Chrome is a little better than the Timbuk2, but that's just my opinion.

No matter what I tried, I just didn't like the feel of the traditional messenger bags so I ended up getting one of the Chrome backpacks.... I love it. Thick padded straps, a TON of room, and totally waterproof.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I have a Chrome Metropolis bag. I love it. I used a Timbuk 2 bag for a while, but the Chrome is a lot nicer I think. It's way more comfortable.

My main gripe with messenger bags though, is that little things like my wallet, or pens or change tend to just sink to the bottom of the bag, which makes impossible to find things without having to take the bag off my back. Yeah I know, there are pen holders and little pockets on the outside of the bag, but I tend to just toss everything in the big pouch.

Also with Chrome bags, it sucks when friends unbuckle the front strap while your bag is totally full. They do have a nifty secret pocket.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hey after you pick up that snazzy bag Loco-gringo can show you a place to get your hair cut.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Nate at RIT said:
Do any of you have any reasons I should go for one or the other. Qaulity, fit, customer service, etc? I like the Chromes, basically I'm trying to justify the $30 extra.

Thanks.
After many years of Timbuks, I say go with the Chrome.
It's all about the lining for me - the stuff in Timbuks has reduced in quality over the years, and they just don't hold up like they used to.

Also consider the buckle on the Chrome. While I know it looks kind of cheesey (looks like an old seatbelt buckle), and it's a good way to knock out your dogs teeth (it's heavy), having a quick-release buckle on the strap of your bag is really handy if you have an ultra-heavy load.

Of course both of these things only matter if the bag will be used for heavy loads, and in foul weather. If it's just for fashion, pick whichever one is prettier. :rolleyes:

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
I've been extremely happy with my Jandd pack. It's burly as all get out, adjustable, comfy, and monstrously large. I use it for traveling all the time- best of all is the pockets lining the front panel. You don't lose your keys, tools, wallet etc anymore.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I have a Chrome and like it very much!! But then again I'm no messenger!! I hear PAC desdigns also make nice bags? I didn't want something too big so I got the Citizen. Their packs are also pretty tight! I would like to get one of those as well.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I'd go with ReLoad over Chrome, and PAC if I had the cash.

ReLoad gives you real options, with colors, custom pockets, and the like, whereas timbuk2 only gives a few choices, and everyone seems to have them. Cheaper than chrome...

PACs are just crazy good, but really expensive, so unless you're moving packages to eat and pay bills, I'd go with something cheaper.

my 2¢

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Knuck, it's going to be for commuting for work, grocery shopping, school, etc. I don't actually work as a messenger. I've tried the backpack route, but my back gets too sweaty, and I don't like the weight distribution. I've got a real small, cheap one now that I won at a race, but I can barely fit a six pack of bottles in there.

I live in Rochester, so foul weather is the norm, rather than exception.

So it looks like Chrome and Reload, as I don't have the $ for a PAC one. I like the padded strap and buckle on the Chrome, but I'll look into the Reload as well. Thanks for all the help guys.

D

Dingus McGee

I don't really know about modern messbags. I always though they were more of a fashion statement than a functional bag. Too bad SCUMBAGS folded before I got ahold of one, love the name. All that said I have a vintage ZO bag, made right here in S.F. Even tho I have lived with and been around the messenger scene for years, I feel like a poser riding with one. Just a fashion reminder:
wear it HIGH on your back...kook points are levied otherwise.

Edit- hey I found this somewhat interesting link -history of messbags - learned that Scumbags became Timbuk2...anyway:

http://www.messengers.org/resources/history/bags.html

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I had a Timbuk2 and it was stolen it lasted a year and held up great but wasn't as comfortable as it should be and especially wasn't with lots of stuff in it. I got a chrome to replace it the metropolis to be exact and i love it so far. It will be a great bag this coming year at school.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
mobius said:
I had a Timbuk2 and it was stolen it lasted a year and held up great but wasn't as comfortable as it should be and especially wasn't with lots of stuff in it. I got a chrome to replace it the metropolis to be exact and i love it so far. It will be a great bag this coming year at school.
Yeah, the only major downfall of the Timbutku2s is the lack of comfort when loaded. Chromes just fit really well and the strap is comfotable - although when I hug my girl she tends to disagree as the seatbelt always rams her collar bone....

I have the Metropolis and like it a lot, but I now need something smaller. A man needs a purse in Manhattan.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Yeah, I'd say no go on the Timbuk2. If you were using it as a bag to carry your 'portant papers to work or school, it's fine, but they suck to ride with. I'd definetly go for a Chrome or a Repack, but my best recommendation is Baileyworks! I've used my SuperPro every day for almost 6 years now (including a year as a messenger) with no major problems. I also have a huge (XL) Pro backpack that fits a couple 30 racks with room to spare, but they're not being made anymore. Bailey has better CS than most companies I've dealt with, and the bags are designed with direct input from Boston couriers, so you know they'll be tough and good to ride with.

www.baileyworks.com

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Oh, and if you want the best, get a PAC. Hands down, there ain't anything better out there. I'm going to have to get me one, one of these days.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
ive had a timbuk 2 for two years now its the best bag i've had one for two years and its gone across the country and back many races everything else.
i lost a the chest strap buckle. its a .75 inch width could not find one locally
emailed the company and the sent me replacement parts
Its a good bag i can fit tons of food in it from the store

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Well it appears that Timbuk2 is out of the running, and the PAC is just too expensive for me as a college student. Looked great, but I can't justify twice the price of the Chrome. Think I'm going to go with the Chrome Metropolis, thanks for all your help guys.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'll add another vote for Bailey Works. I've had my bag for over 6 or 7 years without a single problem. Awesome construction - super durable.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hate to bump the old thread but...

I ride my bike to school and currently have a wannabe bag (15$ at Old Navy, oh yes), and it SUCKS. Doesn't fit on my back well at all, I'm afraid its going to bust open all over the road...yeah. Anyways, I've got 25 bucks to my name and perusing eBay for something used...I know this is a long shot, but is there anything out there decent that I could pick up used for that much?

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
xbluethunderx said:
Hate to bump the old thread but...

I ride my bike to school and currently have a wannabe bag (15$ at Old Navy, oh yes), and it SUCKS. Doesn't fit on my back well at all, I'm afraid its going to bust open all over the road...yeah. Anyways, I've got 25 bucks to my name and perusing eBay for something used...I know this is a long shot, but is there anything out there decent that I could pick up used for that much?
There's a company out of Australia called Crumpler that makes SWEEEEEEEET bags. You can go one their website (witch is pretty entertaining) and check them out... I've seen some of them going for the $30 range on Ebay, so you might be able to pick up a quality bag in your price range. They make a bag very similar in size to the Timbuk2 and the Chrome called the Seedy Three.

I think REI carries some of their smaller bags if you at least want to check out their construction and materials. I just picked one up... WELL worth the $$$.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
where do tehy sell chrome bags in rochester anyway?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Bah...Theres only 5 Crumplers on eBay, and they're all around 65 bucks...

It's hopeless :(

Anyone have an old bag they want to sell me?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Screw that buy a nice one from Energie the mens version on Miss Sixty thats what I have. I think you;de be better off with a nice backpack messenger bags hurt your shoulders after awhile if you carry alot.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
out of your price range....unless you want to splurge, which i would recommend...but here's my new RELoad:

(a touch of gold for the BLING factor)

after a week of usage, i can easily say i looooooove this bag.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Yo Inbred, I use the T2 I got from you everyday. It rocks, wouldn't take anything for it. I guess b/c it is 2nd hand, it has more "personality" than if I'd have bought it new. Thanks for the hook up!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
man i loved my timbuk2. i had the larger one and it fit very well. i even wore it when hitting a dig gap jump in town on the way home from college every day. Then someone stole the damn thing, so if ya see one with yellow center panels and green side panels with kyle ebbet, jeff lenosky, and aaron chases signature on it kick the persons ass and take it back for me.