Quantcast

Metal Detector Monkies

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
My father in-law expressed interest in treasure hunting. I'm talking jewelry and coins at parks and beaches. I'll admit, it's perked my interest too. Are there any monkeys here that do this type of thing?

What's a mid to high end model that works well?

In return, Magnum

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I do not know anything about metal detectors but I would recommend wearing a fanny pack and some white Velcro strap sneakers while hunting. You wouldn't want the other t-hunters laughing at the noobs.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Used to. It can get boring if you don't have a lot of time to kill. There's 10000 pieces of trash for every lost ring. Discrimination mode helps sort out most of the garbage but you'll still be digging up pop tabs from the 70s on a regular basis. If your soil has a lot of minerals, it gets even harder. I had more fun finding musket balls than anything else. I have a nice White's detector hanging on my wall, dusty...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It would be awesome if you could score a bomb squad suit to wear while foraging for lost change.
Even just a white tyvek lab suit would work. Not as awesome, but would still be funny. And a lot easier to find.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
that **** will give you cancer.
I'm paranoid about Stud Finders. I'm afraid that Satan regulates their use and I am unknowingly performing black magic when I use one. Besides it goes off incessantly in my hands? That and turn signals, really whats the point. I sure as hell am not going to make it easier for the authorities to follow me. Phugging Fascists......

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Update! So eaterofdog hooked it up with the metal detector and I have to admit, it's fun!

I've already found a gold pendant, some silver rings and bunch of coins. Total to date (since 6/30/11):

506 Pennies
44 Nickels
153 Dimes
145 Quarters
2 Sacajawea dollar coins

$60.81

I'll have enough for that Intense M9 ANY DAY NOW

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Dang, you are doing pretty good. What's the deepest you found anything so far? I pulled up a silver pendant from about 18 inches one time, but it was old so it had a pretty good halo.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Dang, you are doing pretty good. What's the deepest you found anything so far? I pulled up a silver pendant from about 18 inches one time, but it was old so it had a pretty good halo.
Criminy 18"!!

I did about 12" and found a bunch of Capri Sun packs. Damn kids. My area is relatively new, late 60's and 70's. 4" is the norm but I prefer the tot lots right now.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
My nerd detector is going crazy right now...
Man, gold is over $1700/oz right now. Hit a nice fancy ring and you can buy yourself something fancy. This place pays 98% of your gold value, send in your old teeth people.

I sent in a .14oz gold pendant I found in the middle of a soccer field. Let's see how much I get back.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Man, gold is over $1700/oz right now. Hit a nice fancy ring and you can buy yourself something fancy. This place pays 98% of your gold value, send in your old teeth people.

I sent in a .14oz gold pendant I found in the middle of a soccer field. Let's see how much I get back.
am interested in how this turns out.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
The only thing I'd be interested in doing with a metal detecter is scanning all the Revolutionary and Civil War battlefields around me with it for historical-type shiite- something explicitly and universally forbidden and not worth attracting LEO attention over. Too bad and so sad...