Quantcast

Metal is not dead.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Echo said:
Open your favorite downloading utility and check out "Avenged Sevenfold". Damn.
Welcome to last week old man. :rolleyes:

Listen to some of their older stuff from Waking the Fallen; they haven't always been metal. Still good though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
merrrrjig said:
Avenge 7fold sucks! listen to some good stuff: Inflames, wintersun, soilwork, dimmu, arch enemy, The Black Dahlia murder, heaven shall burn, and at the gates
Hey when is that Porcupine Tree show in your neck of the woods merrrjig?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I heard some old Avenged songs and liked it, then I saw that MTV vid and it made me want to shoot the TV like Elvis did. Horrid crap, but if you like it thats fine by me. I like real obscure metal that people think sounds like complete crap and I dont let it get me down. Speaking of, Im gonna listen to some Fantomas now....

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
amateur said:
Listen to some of their older stuff from Waking the Fallen; they haven't always been metal. Still good though.
haha, WHAT? haven't always been metal?

lemme guess...you saw the video on MTV and ran out to get the new cd ASAP! the new cd blows balls compared to Waking the Fallen and/or Sounding the 7th Trumpet. they were metal from the start. their new cd has no 'screaming'. it's all singing because he screwed his vocal chords for a while (big surprise,listen to the first 2 cds), so they took it easy on the new cd. it is cool in the way that there isn't another cd out that sounds the same, but i'd prefer the OG stuff.

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
AtTheGates said:
other people have heard of porcupine tree? i thought i was the only one.
a favorite of mine too.

Old metal rules. One of my colleagues used to play drums in Mayhem. He can play...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i've been listening to Witchery lately. first album is good stuff.

bang your head as if up from the dead, 'cause metal is all that you need. :evil:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I never understood the silly/scary names they come up with for their bands. That and the tough guy poses they sport in their interviews. Lots of angry white guys, pretty funny.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Listening to High on Fire right now.

Makes me want to ride an armored elephant into battle.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
Listening to High on Fire right now.

Makes me want to ride an armored elephant into battle.
blessed black wings? or the art of self-defense?

hey - in the latest Durtro email, there's mention of a Current 93 10" being released on Neurot. what's the deal w/ this, and how did your bandmate hook on w/ david tibet?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
pnj said:
they remind me of motorhead for some reason.
Yeah, that was a weird realization for me after the last record. I've known the guitar player for years, from when he played with Sleep.

I guess it's not a huge jump to go from Sabbth influence to Motorhead influence. :think:

There's some Celtic Frost in there too.

BTW - go listen to Celtic Frost's "To Mega Therion" if you REALLY want to kill people with a sword while wearing a crown. :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
blessed black wings? or the art of self-defense?

hey - in the latest Durtro email, there's mention of a Current 93 10" being released on Neurot. what's the deal w/ this, and how did your bandmate hook on w/ david tibet?
Woah, everything comes full circle here...

There will be a Current 93 record on Neurot that is a split w/ the band Om - who just happens to be the bass player and drummer from Sleep...

:think:

They are playing some shows together, and that's where the connection was made. (I think?) I stay out of the label's aquisition process; too much social interaction for me. :D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
merrrrjig said:
Avenge 7fold sucks! listen to some good stuff: Inflames, wintersun, soilwork, dimmu, arch enemy, The Black Dahlia murder, heaven shall burn, and at the gates
While I cannot comment on Avenge 7fold, the aformantioned bands are killer. I my self like Children of Bodom and of course Kalmah is off the chain!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
oly said:
Speaking of, Im gonna listen to some Fantomas now....
cool. patton has mad vocal skills. mr bungle is good stuff. and his ep with dillinger escape plan. lots of neat musical cross-pollination going on. speaking of which, i've got tix to a biafra / melvins show in a couple weeks - should be classic. there's also a boris / sunn 0))) show the same week - sludgy droning good times.