Quantcast

metal working monkeys?!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I am trying to create a small, 12-14" diameter "fire pit" out of 1/8" x 6" x 38ish" peice of steel. I am starting with a flat plate, and need an easy/cheap way to bend this thing into a circle so I can weld the seam together. I have shopped around for slip rolls, and the capacity on anything I can afford is much too small (like 20ga). My price range for a tool to do this is probably around $2000. Any ideas? I am trying to avoid using heat for this.

Thanks in advance!!!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
How many do you need to do? If it's just one, then it's not worth even trying, just pay to have it done. There is no way you are going to bend 1/8" in a circle without heat or a big ass slip roller.

Edit: Looking at it again....a 12" circle is really tight for 1/8". You would probably have to heat. If you are handy, you could maybe make a narrow slip roll with a large wheel to do it. Would have to be pretty stout to hold shape, almost like this idea, but for narrow sheet instead of pipe. Come to think of it, you may be able to modify the harbor freight roller for your need. Put flat rollers in there instead of dies for tubing and possibly widen the frame to accommodate your width.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
then your head would explode if you've seen the stuff i've seen.

my old man designs cooling circuits for nuclear reactors. 4 inch plate steel ain't sh*t compared to what he works with.
You're dad sounds like the man.

How'd you end up designing cardboard boxes?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Options:

- Go dig around in the local scrap yard for something that will work.

- Buy a pre-fabed fire pit from BigLots and use some or all of the parts

- Pay a local blacksmith to make the ring for you.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Just cut a 14" diameter pipe.
As ridiculous as it sounds, this is going to be the easiest route. :p Steel is cheap.

So what are you trying to make anyway? You say fire pit in quotes. Is it a fire pit? A bong? Something else?

And why are you trying to avoid heat? 2000 dollars? But you can't just buy it preformed? What the hell are you making?

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
He's working on the beginnings of the "soccer ball" formation for a dirty bomb. Fvcking terrorists always going for the win!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I guess I'm the only one that didn't that the "easy/cheap" way had to be under $2K. When I tell someone I'm going to bend something the easy/cheap way, it involves a BFH.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
I guess I'm the only one that didn't that the "easy/cheap" way had to be under $2K. When I tell someone I'm going to bend something the easy/cheap way, it involves a BFH.
I was talking easy/cheap relative to more industrial use slip rolls that cost upwards of $10k.

I'm creating a few of these as gifts, but I like to use that as an excuse to buy more tools. :D

The idea is to plasma cut a design or two in the flat plate, then roll it. I'm sure it won't roll perfectly, but something to get me close would be nice.

I have access to a cnc plasma cutter, so I would like to be able to use it, but it has to be flat sheet, so that rules out the cutting a 14" tube idea.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Would certainly solve your issue and be a ton easier to make. CNC plates out, weld together. Plus, I happen to think they look cooler personally.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Like this-
not this design, but this is the concept. I have a unique one that I'd like to make for gifts, but I want to be lazy and use the cnc.

Maybe I can't have it both ways.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
So you're making firepits with fancy schmancy designs in them. So why not just go with a lighter gauge metal? Something you can bend without a roller or heat. Though I am still unsure why you don't want to use heat. Heat + metal = buttah!

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Like I said, diamter and thickness can be variable, the measurements I provided are just what I had in mind- not that they really matter. I just thought that 20ga at .037" thick might be a little thin for this (since that's the capacity of most "cheap" slip rolls)