Quantcast

metal working monkeys?!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
So you're making firepits with fancy schmancy designs in them. So why not just go with a lighter gauge metal? Something you can bend without a roller or heat. Though I am still unsure why you don't want to use heat. Heat + metal = buttah!
You're right, but then I have to have some sort of form to make them round, use a lot of oxy/acetyline and it sounds like a PITA... to me.
I would love to be able to cnc cut, then run it through the roller and weld it together. If that's even possible with the thicker metal that I am talking about using, I don't know. But I'd like to know if there's a tool out there that could do the rolling. Maybe I could make my own ghetto slip roll that isn't wide so it could be strong.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
How many do you need to do? If it's just one, then it's not worth even trying, just pay to have it done. There is no way you are going to bend 1/8" in a circle without heat or a big ass slip roller.

Edit: Looking at it again....a 12" circle is really tight for 1/8". You would probably have to heat. If you are handy, you could maybe make a narrow slip roll with a large wheel to do it. Would have to be pretty stout to hold shape, almost like this idea, but for narrow sheet instead of pipe. Come to think of it, you may be able to modify the harbor freight roller for your need. Put flat rollers in there instead of dies for tubing and possibly widen the frame to accommodate your width.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html
I think you might be on to something, sir. I think modifying that thing to do this job could be perfect and actually fairly cheap. Thanks for the idea!

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Coolest thing I've ever seen was 4" steel plate being rolled into a ~6' diameter circle.
That does sound impressive. Was it just the inside corners matching up, or were they able to mash it together and but the ends together? Pretty crazy stuff either way!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
That does sound impressive. Was it just the inside corners matching up, or were they able to mash it together and but the ends together? Pretty crazy stuff either way!
Inside corners touching, then completely fill the gap with weld, then grind flush. Then go back and x-ray the welds for voids, drill and reweld back up as required.

I believe they were the shells for MRI tubes or something. The shop that were making it does HUGE scale stuff......when I was last there they were machining a ~12ft diameter disc of aluminum on a giant lathe. The operator climbs up a ladder to get to the controls.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I was talking easy/cheap relative to more industrial use slip rolls that cost upwards of $10k.

I'm creating a few of these as gifts, but I like to use that as an excuse to buy more tools. :D

The idea is to plasma cut a design or two in the flat plate, then roll it. I'm sure it won't roll perfectly, but something to get me close would be nice.

I have access to a cnc plasma cutter, so I would like to be able to use it, but it has to be flat sheet, so that rules out the cutting a 14" tube idea.
Tell your friend to buy a better CNC machine ;):

I love metal work. I'm actually building a rotary phase converter this weekend to run 3 ph equipment in my garage. Getting a sweet deal on a monster horizontal band saw that I need to be able to power.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I think you might be on to something, sir. I think modifying that thing to do this job could be perfect and actually fairly cheap. Thanks for the idea!
I've heard the HF rollers are actually decent if you mod them. Way better than spending $1k+ on something you aren't using every day. I think you could make it work for what you need. Honestly, for the ring, I would do like 11 gauge CR and they would be plenty sturdy. I'm with Crabby though, I kinda like the square ones. And the stars are fruity :rofl: