Quantcast

Meteorology major, completely OT

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
I'm enrolled in Norwich U. up in VT, as a mechanical engineering major, but I have decided its not for me, yada yada. I really want to switch to meteorology, but I'm not sure of the jobs thats are available after graduation, and I wanted to know if any of you could list or describe some jobs that could come with the major. I'm sorry it has nothing to do with biking, but I can't find too much on it, my advisor isn't helping much. Thanks, and if its too off topic I can delete the post.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Airlines, the big freight companies (fedex, DHL, UPS have huge meteorology staffs), shipping companies, and oil and gas companies need weathermen. Commodities brokers often employ meteorologists to help determine demand for a variety of futures. And of course it seems like the local TV stations have 10000 weather geeks now.

The money you will make I have no idea.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
my wife is a forecaster in the USAF... i d imagine there are some pretty good opportunities when ya graduate... i know that there is a number of US civilians who work with here at the OWS ) operational weather squadron.... they make pretty good $$$$ and hell, they live in europe and get to travel and see all kinda of cool cr@p.... plus, if they get hired from the US, they earn 'housing allowance' which is paid IN FULL by the military... off course the more exp, the more $$$...i know some people (not in the weather field - but an equivlent level / diff field) who get 2000 EURO a month for housing... thats ya tax $$$ there folks.. :rolleyes:

i can ask my wife if ya like, she ll have all the details...

personally i think mech eng is a far better choice :)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Are you a hot chic? If you are a hot chic w/ a degree in Meteorology, Id say you would have no problem having a good career.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
wow, you guys actually have a major for that? UTexas doesn't. i loooove that field, and would have gone into after getting tired of music, but alas...nothing to study.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
**** thanks for all the info. I was wondering about the military like someone posted, always been interested in a career in the coast guard. I would stay with mech. engineering but i have 10x more interest in meteorology.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sugarbushrider1 said:
**** thanks for all the info. I was wondering about the military like someone posted, always been interested in a career in the coast guard. I would stay with mech. engineering but i have 10x more interest in meteorology.
cool...

if ya have any specific q's i d be happy to ask the missus... i like weather as well... use to be a pretty decent amateur forecaster in my surfing days...

my wife has access to some INSANE gov't / military meteorlogy webpages... very interesting for sure...

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
marine forecast is big around here, wheather man, field observer, forest fire(wild fires create their own wheather), ummmm that's all I can think of for now.

VTApe

Monkey
Feb 5, 2005
Vermont
yeah maybe ill just say Fvck it and announce birthdays. seems easier.

partsbara-thanks a lot its good to know I'm sure I'll have some questions for ya in the next few months. do you know anything about the salaries/work hours for a typical meteorologist, if there is such thing?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sugarbushrider1 said:
yeah maybe ill just say Fvck it and announce birthdays. seems easier.

partsbara-thanks a lot its good to know I'm sure I'll have some questions for ya in the next few months. do you know anything about the salaries/work hours for a typical meteorologist, if there is such thing?
sorry dude.. that i don t know... i ll see what the missus reckons...

night

(fark - its 2.10 am)