Quantcast

Meth

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
So I heard that Meth was getting big in the US, but apparantly it is getting HUGE these days...

From Oregon, (apparantly one of the worst affected states):

With meth use rampant and growing, the scourge falls increasingly on children - from birth to broken families, from first-time use to addiction. Meth use by parents is the cause for an estimated 71 percent of the children placed in foster care statewide.
And from the Beeb:

...a methamphetamine epidemic that is crippling small-town America..
Crossville, which sits on the wooded Cumberland Plateau in central Tennessee, is typical of the kind of place where meth has thrived, from California to the Carolinas.

Since meth first appeared on the radar here around six years ago, life has changed dramatically for the 50,000 people who live in the county.

Sitting in his cramped office at Crossville's Justice Center, Sheriff "Butch" Burgess, rattles off some alarming statistics. Violent offences are up 500% - petty crimes have increased six-fold.
Any of you :monkey:s seen much of the black-toothed masses?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
The shop I work at has ALOT of tweekers coming in, The place is the middle of white suberbia and I can not belive how many people are totaly spun out

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I live right next to the Meth capital or Or., Medford. You are always hearing about lab busts and such.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i deal w/ meth heads a lot but i stay the hell away from labs. if i walk up on one....i slowly back away and call the special SBI team that handles them. too many chemicals and crap to mess w/ for me.

it's worse than crack and a lot easier to get. it's not HUGE here....yet, but it's making its way in from the western part of the state.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
There is a certain amount of karma in the fact that the same people who voted all those years for tough drug laws are the same ones who are going to have their families ripped apart by the justice system if the drugs don't do it first.

It's sad karma, but I think that we need to imprison meth users for their own good. State prison seems to be the best treatment for addiction, doesn't it?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
The shop I work at has ALOT of tweekers coming in, The place is the middle of white suberbia and I can not belive how many people are totaly spun out
Dude, they are your parents!!! Try to be nice!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Luckily, this is a recognized problem, from meth mouth (a good way to lose your teeth) to heavy controls on cold medicine, a critical element to make meth.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
There was a house on the way to a riding spot, looked like any other.

Then, one day, a bunch of dudes in black coats with matching black suburbans show up and tape it off.

The next day the house was GONE, like Off the face of the earth gone.

We don't mess around up here.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Meth has been pretty big here in California for quite some time. It's a really nasty drug, that sucks people in really fast. There is no shortage of meth labs in the Palmdale/Lancaster and the Inland Empire...AKA the 909.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I fairly recently found out that my sister was kind of close to meth..

she moved to Texas with her ex-fiancee...
ex-fiancee got all tweeked out.

She left him.

It was kind of shocking to hear that there were people using meth in her kitchen....

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Meth is huge here in AR. A lab blew up about a mile from my house, and another one was discovered about a mile and a half from my house by the police and cleaned up.

It's not the inner city types that are doing this is the rednecks out in the boonies. Just east of Little Rock in Lonoke AR, it's really bad, I think the town has a population of like less than 10,000 and they busted over 100 labs in one year.

At least in AR this seems to be largely a rual thing............

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Fortunately, traditional New England sensabilities have kept meth at arms length in these parts. We'll stick to good old Heroin, thank you very much.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
blt2ride said:
Yeah, but meth will destroy your teeth...

So does halloween candy.

I know a girl with methmouth. She used to be someone we hung out with before she closed the curtains and became a cave dweller. I see her out every once in a while and she's literally just a ghost. There was a while when a mutual friend tried to get her away from her tweeker boyfriend that got her into it but he gets all violent and such. Meth rules.

I used to live in one of the more money towns in tahoe and drugs in general are pretty rampant with the youngsters but somehow the speed came into play outside of good old fashioned coke. It's also what fuels the construction industry up here. Yay. Tweekers building support beams structures.

If we weren't spreading liberty, it might be something the country wants to address seriously outside of just reporting on it. But alas, we have more important international duties to perform.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
blt2ride said:
Yeah, but meth will destroy your teeth...
There is this chick that works at the local book store. She seems really hot, nice body pretty face etc, then she starts to talk and you see the 5 blackened rotting teeth left in her mouth and you want to vomit on her face.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
kidwoo said:
. It's also what fuels the construction industry up here. Yay. Tweekers building support beams structures.

If we weren't spreading liberty, it might be something the country wants to address seriously outside of just reporting on it. But alas, we have more important international duties to perform.
I think it fuels the construction industry everywhere in America.

There are a lot of domestic issues our country should be focusing on and isn't. Part of that is due to the conflict in opinions on what should be done. You have the far left liberals that think there should be a govn't program for everything, which would tax us all to death. Then you have the Christian Conservitives that think the death penality is the answer to everything (except for unborn babies of course).
If anything is going to be done about the Meth problem, I think we should wait until Bush is out of office. This would at least allow for a fighting chance at getting a decent program.

I just hope we get a decent Presidential Canidate next time around.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
scurban said:
I think it fuels the construction industry everywhere in America.
What gives you that impression? I'm in construction here in New England and the vast majority of people I come in contact with aren't junkies. Skilled labor/contractors tend to be white guys (who are often firemen as well) while the general laborers are Brazilians or unusually hardworking white guys. The WT, showing up drunk/high worker doesn't really exist around here anymore. I'm not doubting you, just curious how things are in other parts of the country.

stinsonblvd

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Seattle
When I was living in Minnesota, I briefly had a job as a painter. That lasted until noon, when everyone went into the van and smoked meth. I told them I didnt do meth, and I was fired by the end of the day. Even the boss was in on it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Silver said:
It's sad karma, but I think that we need to imprison meth users for their own good. State prison seems to be the best treatment for addiction, doesn't it?
Not really. It is extremely easy to get meth in prison. I was in general pop for a total of two hours before I was offered weed and meth. (clerical error, I paid my ticket... it went to warrant because the stupid court clerk didn't do their job correctly.)

E

enkidu

Ciaran, you're back! How was the h-moon? Do you have a thread for that with pics?

[Edit] Did you see any meth problem in Ireland while you were there?

. . . now, is this better (more pertinent), Changleen? [/Edit]

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ciaran said:
Not really. It is extremely easy to get meth in prison. I was in general pop for a total of two hours before I was offered weed and meth. (clerical error, I paid my ticket... it went to warrant because the stupid court clerk didn't do their job correctly.)
That was sarcasm, dear fellow :D

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
kidwoo said:
Rad. I drive up I-5 pretty frequently, usually part of a long road trip and boy do I get tired long about medford. That's good news!!!:thumb:
Yea :thumb:

If you stop in Ashland you can get weed, and Medford has the Meth. It's perfect.

XtCamZ

Chimp
Nov 19, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Yep, Arkansas has had a huge Meth problem for a long time.

Andy, I don't think you hang out with the "right" kind of people, because it is coming into the cities pretty fast. I found out 2 weeks ago that one of my friends from high school doing it. She was, and still is, one of the really popular and pretty girls. Then our "superstar" quarterback and a couple other guys got into it and you can barely recognize them now. They all had football scholarships, but lost them within 2 years. Now they're skinny and sick looking. All of these people I mentioned graduated with me in 2001. This is up in Fayetteville by the way.

XtCamZ

Chimp
Nov 19, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
One more thing!

This really pisses me off and makes me want to beat the living **** out of every meth head: You can't get the good cold medicines after the pharmacy closes. So if you can't sleep at night because you can't breath at all and you have a huge exam the next morning, you can't go down to Walmart and get the sinus medicine you need. Nope, just deal with it and do hsitty on your test.

Fu*ckers should be shot.

/rant

JMP

Chimp
Oct 5, 2005
Near Olympia, WA
Meth has been slowly working its way from the west coast to the east coast since the early 80's. The Hell's Angles were, for the most part, the original producers and distributors of meth. Meth is extremely prolific on the west coast and in many small towns until you hit Chicago. Its big in New York but as far as I know that is the only large east coast city that is beginning to feel the effects. The area that I live in has an insane number of labs and users. There is a lab bust just about once or twice a month with in the county. I'm not sure about the dude who said guys in black jackets with matching black suburbans showed up and took it out. That is a movie version of how it is done. Usually a Haz-Mat team comes because the chemicals used to produce the drug are so volatile, and dangerous. The area I live in now is relatively poor but the area I moved from is extremely wealthy. For about the last 3 yrs before I moved with was invading the area and was being abused by all generations in a town that once used only cocaine. Meth is cheap and way powerful. Last but not least if meth is not in your town yet, it will be sooner than later.
PS check out the movie Sultan Sea, its a fairly decent overview of the meth life.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
XtCamZ said:
Yep, Arkansas has had a huge Meth problem for a long time.

Andy, I don't think you hang out with the "right" kind of people, because it is coming into the cities pretty fast.
I don't hear much about it in the news in Little Rock, but all the time up here around Sherwood, Jacksonville, Lonoke and Cabot. And here in AR you have to get the "good" cold medicine over the counter now - so a week ago Noah had to go to bed with a bad cold and I couldn't get anything for him because all the pharmacists had gone home..............:angry:

The Wal-Marts (esspecially the Super centers) seem to be full of these skinny people with black teeth......it's almost like night of the living dead sometimes............

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
kidwoo said:
Really?

How many times has that happened?
discovered two by accident w/ a few other officers checking out a new construction site and have been on a search warrant that turned into a meth lab bust. once we opened the door and our eyes started to water from the fumes we got the heck out of there and waited for the SBI team. i don't get paid enough to play around chemical time bombs.

there has been a rise in mobile meth labs in the back of vans. reports of officers dying from opening bottles with unknown liquids and taking a big whiff, thinking it's moonshine instead of the amonia.......somethin-somethin that it really is.

scary stuff for sure

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
There are so many meth labs in parts of California, that you must show ID to purchase "over the counter" cold medication and you can't buy more than two bottles at one time. Apparently, there are some ingredients in products like Nyquil that these meth heads use to make their meth...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
blt2ride said:
There are so many meth labs in parts of California, that you must show ID to purchase "over the counter" cold medication and you can't buy more than two bottles at one time. Apparently, there are some ingredients in products like Nyquil that these meth heads use to make their meth...
Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine are speed analogues. Two reactions away from methamphetamine once isolated/purified.