Quantcast

Metric RC4 Chicanery

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Anybody have a good source for shims? I just picked up another small shaft RC4 for myself, but it's valved for a Session and has a fuckton of rebound damping and very little compression, presumably because the average leverage ratio on those was like 14.5:1.
What sizes do you need? I have a bunch of most sizes for an RC4.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What sizes do you need? I have a bunch of most sizes for an RC4.
I haven't cracked that one open yet, so I'm not sure what's in there. I'll pull it apart one of these days and make a plan from there. But thanks, I appreciate the offer! I'll let you know once I've had a look inside.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Next challenge:

Adapting an RC4 to one of these fucktard Trunnion mounts. Anyone done this yet? I have some janky ideas.

Also looking out for an 8.5x2.5 RC4 to adapt to a 205x60 on a 2020 Enduro.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
A 200x57 might be easier to make work. I do it with a solid tube of 7000 series alu threaded on each side for the trunion screws. I took out the bushings in the eyelet so the tube can be a slightly bigger diameter. It looks like you could run the Enduro in the high hole with a 200x57 shock and have a 345 mm bb height and 9mm less travel more or less.

I didn’t find a better pic but here’s my attempt at a Trunion delete.

890B2C91-C8B2-4A79-9D23-C32538754B97.jpeg

And one in Bex
2A6BB35B-88E6-4B9F-AB7B-0A760A17959B.jpeg

DanMcDan

Chimp
May 1, 2020
Hi guys, I too am looking to fit an RC4 onto my V4 Nomad, I have the cascade components LT link and am looking to shorten a 241x76 by 11mm, I have a few CNC machines to use so was initially going to make a 11mm delrin spacer, however after reading this thread I’m not sure it’s so easy due to the rebound position?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, as discussed you can't just make a spacer and put it on the shaft. It needs to stay stuck to the sealhead, and be a close slip fit on the shaft in order for the topout control to work right. Ideally the spacer would hold the topout bumper too, but that's a little less critical.

I did it with a press fit into the gland for the topout bumper and despite @Udi's concerns, my buddy hasn't died yet, at least as of half an hour ago when he was texting me arguing about tires.

DanMcDan

Chimp
May 1, 2020
First ride is later today. Cascade link is pretty damn good. I can’t believe how well it pedals considering it’s got 190mm rear travel, I consistently get my best climbing times on the nomad rather than my 5010, and as for the descents, it’s pretty much a DH bike.

DanMcDan

Chimp
May 1, 2020
So just done a 22ml ride, it includes 2 DH rocky segments that are about a minute long. Initial thoughts are that it’s pretty good, more supportive than the Vorsprung tuned RCT and a lot more supple. The uphill sections were just as good, and the one 6 minute technical climb over roots/rocks was very good, a lot more traction.

DanMcDan

Chimp
May 1, 2020
I'd really want proper mechanical retention for the spacer into the sealhead rather than just a pressfit into the shallow gland. Then again if the rebound locks and your friend dies, shock remains unharmed + that's another small-shaft Kash RC4 for you.

I approve.
The seal head has a recess in the groove, I turned a reverse taper over the fit area and it clipped in perfectly. I had to remove one of the spacers as I sold the shock over the weekend and it took 10 mins to prize it out.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Bringing this thread back...

Speaking hacking shocks, I have one of those Push MX-2 tuned Fox shocks. It's 7.875x2.25 and I want to make a 9.0x2.5 out of it. I'm thinking what I can do is get a 9.5x3.0 DHX5 and get a shaft and rebound needle from a 8.5x2.5 shock, put it back together and then have my local suspension shop tune it for my current frame. Make sense??

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
**Bump** Still looking for a shock if anyone can help:

currently got a RS vivid air on my my V10.6 running 26“ #heritagesize wheels. Do mostly park riding (Whistler) but blowing through the travel. Would an RC4 be good? Guess I would lose some liveliness but would like not to worry about pedal strikes so much..
Found a brand new RC4 for cheap. People here seem to recommend the thinner shaft, Air Assist model but this one is the Boost Valve. Wondering if it'll still do what I want it to do (not blow through travel, mid stroke support) or if the thicker shaft/boost valve is a deal breaker.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
**Bump** Still looking for a shock if anyone can help:

Found a brand new RC4 for cheap. People here seem to recommend the thinner shaft, Air Assist model but this one is the Boost Valve. Wondering if it'll still do what I want it to do (not blow through travel, mid stroke support) or if the thicker shaft/boost valve is a deal breaker.
I’m going to go with probably yes, at the expense of absorbing bumps. It’s basically position sensitive and that boost valve really negatively affects the bumps and the shaft size doesn’t displace enough oil. You can definitely set it up to not blow through travel, but the boost valve is usually a deal breaker.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'd run an RC4 over a Vivid Air any day, especially in a DH bike. Should be an improvement in both support and bump absorption provided you pick the right spring rate. You can also remove the boost valve pretty easily if you're comfortable with rebuilding shocks, it's not related to the fat shaft or the DSC compression assembly in the neck. Just be careful not to scratch the IFP tube while removing the BV circlip if doing this. I'd try it stock first, might be fine.

The other issue worth checking is whether the neck uses the thicker single-turn circlip to retain the compression adjusters, the older thinner snap ring with multiple turns has a tendency to fall out (along with all the oil). One benefit of the later small-shaft Kashima model is that it's guaranteed to have the circlip update.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Cheers for the replies, guys. Will spend a bit more time and try to find one of those elusive Air Assist models, but if not, Boost Valve version it is.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I've got a 2013 10.5*3.5 RC4 fat shaft Boost Valve laying around here if anybody is interested.