Quantcast

mexican recipes

bilbo

Chimp
Apr 27, 2005
Well the rest of my family is on holidays and this time i plan on eating decently so im after some really good mexican recipes. I really enjoy mexican food but being in australia we dont get that much of it and the mexican resturants in my town are expensive. Does anyone have any good mexican recipes such i like chilli, buritos, re-fried beans, tacos, buritos and enchilada but im also open to trying other stuff.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here's an easy one...more kinda tex/mex, but still works for me.

start some rice
take some boneless chicken, cut up, and sautee in a pan. brown, and cook through (~8-10 min on med heat or so), reserve
sautee some onions and when they are nice and soft, add in some minced garlic (i also like to add cumin and coriander).
lower the heat, and toss in a can of black beans (w/ liquid)
throw in a bay leaf and 1-2 tbsp of tomato paste if you want
take 1 or 2 chiptole peppers in adobo sauce, mince, and add
add the chicken back to the pan

stir and let simmer for ~10-20 minutes.

grill a tortilla, lay down some cooked rice, spoon some chicken/bean mix over, add some grated monterey jack cheese, fold into a burrito, crack a beer, and enjoy.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
Here's some authentic ranch cuisine, like my family has made in Arizona for the last 200 years (that's since it was part of Mexico)-
Grill 1 flank steak: marinating in lime and garlic, if desired. (You knw the drill here, medium-rare, turn once etc)

Make pico de gallo: add nearly equal parts finely diced tomato, white onion and jalapenos, with a bit of cilantro and a pinch of salt.

Make up some pinto beans: (soak them, discard soaking water and add new; and then cook low & slow by themselves 'till tender- then add some uncured pork fat/fatty tissue of your choice and salt, cook until fat renders, serve in liquid)

Make up some Mexican rice: In a wide, flat-bottomed pan cook long-grain rice in a bit of canola oil until slightly brown, add diced white onion, wait until rice gets nice and hot and brown, then dump in chicken stock and 1 diced tomato along with a few healthy grinds of black pepper and a pinch each of oregano and cumin. Cover it tightly, reduce heat to med/low and don't touch for at least 30min. If done well, you'll have a delicious crust on the bottom of the pan.

Slice steak and serve with beans, rice and pico along with your choice of beverage and corn tortillas. (it's a scientific fact that good flour tortillas aren't found except within 200mi of Tucson, Az)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I guess I'm lucky to live next to Mexico. There are tons of inexpensive Mexican joints in Phoenix but some of the food prep can be a little questionable.

Chicken breasts, refried beans, lots of sauce and spices, cheddar cheese, fresh tortillas and beer.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
Au contraire, N8-
"Mexican food" as understood by 98% of the US populace is not representative of the entire spectrum of the cuisine. I won't go into too much detail, but thinking that enchiladas and burros comprise all "mexican food" has to offer is like assuming American food begins and ends with pizza, hamburger and your aunt Nell's tuna hot dish.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
Well the rest of my family is on holidays and this time i plan on eating decently so im after some really good mexican recipes. I really enjoy mexican food but being in australia we dont get that much of it and the mexican resturants in my town are expensive. Does anyone have any good mexican recipes such i like chilli, buritos, re-fried beans, tacos, buritos and enchilada but im also open to trying other stuff.
Hey man, i don't know if this helps but this store carries La Costena products, which are the most reliable, as mexican as it can get outside Mexico. http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/Web/44.htm

Our food is quite simple, you just need the basic: tortillas(soft ones), beans (real mexican beans contain no Cuminum, as matter of fact we don't use Cuminum at all) another primary ingredient are peppers(the most important are Chile Serrano, "Virgin" Jalapenos, some onions, and lots of oil or lard.

Chalupas:
Ingredients:
tortillas (corn tortillas)
baked potatoes
lettuce
green sauce

To begin, you should smash the baked potatoes, add a little bit of salt.
Fry the tortillas until the get a little bit hard.
Spread the potatoes in the tortilla.
add a little bit of lettuce
pour as much sauce as you want
you can cut some radish in small circles, add one or two circles per tortilla

If you can't get the green sauce, here is the recipe
Tomatillo Salsa

2 pounds Fresh tomatillos

1 cup Onion -- chopped
1 Or 2 hot peppers, cored Seeded and chopped. (you can also use dried chiles, leave seeds in either dried or fresh for more heat)
1 cup Fresh cilantro -- minced
1/4 cup Fresh lime juice
1-2 cloves garlic
salt to taste

Remove husks from tomatillos, wash throughly, dry and halve or quarter. Combine tomatillos, onions, chiles, and garlic in a non-reactive pan. Over med-high heat bring to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 mins. Cool a little or a lot then put into blender with cilantro and lime juice, blend away, salt to taste, and you have some GREAT salsa verde Mexicano.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
enfrijoladas:
its the same process as the enchilada, just change the baked potatoes for refried beans

Chilaquiles

Tortillas (corn tortillas)
Green sauce
Steak or chicken
Cheese (manchego or similiar)
A few onion rings
Cream

Cut the tortillas in triangles (2"), the fry them until they get hard (chilaquiles must be crunchy!!) pour lots of sauce 'till you cover all the tortillas. Cut the chicken in small pieces. Cover them with sour cream, add cheese, enjoy

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
http://www.fireworksfoods.com.au/Web/44.htm
Mole!!!!
This is the real deal, you won't believe how much ingredients the mole contains, there are literally hundrenths of different moles, again i recomend La Costena, the taste just as good as my mom's. A good mole needs Chicken (hole pieces), rice and tortillas.

My favorite... Cuitlacoche
I love it!!! And probably you don't want to know what it is, but you won't care once you taste it.

The most basic way to eat cuitlacoche is in quesadillas

But you can use it as part omelette stuffing, for tacos....