Sep 15, 2008
Has anybody seen new Michelins yet?

This Giant appears to have something new on it:

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
You may see some Pics start floating around in the US about Interbike time. They are really wanting to keep things under rap right now. The Giant Team may start riding and testing some of them around then too.

Cecil

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Wish I could...

but the staff really wouldn't like it if I took pics of them, then posted them on the internet. I like my job too much to risk that.
FYI, an ex-coworker of mine (very much for the better) got his hands on some internal Tweel papers from Michelin ~ a year ago. He destroyed them, but hopefully these new Michelin tires fall in the hands of the same guy who leaked that stuff :D

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
FYI, an ex-coworker of mine (very much for the better) got his hands on some internal Tweel papers from Michelin ~ a year ago. He destroyed them, but hopefully these new Michelin tires fall in the hands of the same guy who leaked that stuff :D
Things do not leak out from Michelin unless Michelin wants it to be leaked out. The Tweel has been around for a lot longer then a year, and any info info that your ex-coworker had was useless to our competitors. Proprietary info does not get out.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Dear Michelin, Please make sure the DH32 beads are strong enough and/or tight enough to stay on the rim for longer than a couple runs.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
isnt the Tweel 3 or 4 years old already?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Dear Michelin, Please make sure the DH32 beads are strong enough and/or tight enough to stay on the rim for longer than a couple runs.
Are you sure it wasnt rider error?? I never had 1 problem when i ran my 32's with and without tubes. I had enough confedance to run them in my races too....

wachtourak

Chimp
Apr 26, 2008
Wellington, NZ
Whut? I have a set of old DH32's and they have crazy tight/strong beads. I sometimes snap plastic tyre levers getting them on and off my rims (729's). The DH24 I have and Maxxis Minions etc go on easy enough, sometimes without levers...I've run them at 15psi or something stupid and never rolled one off. Maybe I ride too slow.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
We were using "tweels" on robots that I designed at Draper in 2001, so that's at least 8 years and I'm sure that I wasn't the first one to do it. My inspiration came from a caster wheel and who knows how long that thing was around. Same inspiration for the supercharger and turbocharger bashguards incidentally.

I agree 100% with Piper. That 2.5 Comp 32 is SO overdue. They should have made that tire in 2002.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Yea, Tweel has been in development forever. I'm pretty sure it's actually available for limited commercial use.

Anywho, it was ~100 pages of proprietary info that I had no interest in thumbing through. The guy's a douche and was always displaying questionable ethics, so I'm happy he's no longer working with me.

Back to the topic:

Can't wait to see Michy's new tires. Without a doubt the best working tires for my style. For dry/soft conditions a cut DH24 is awesome for a rear tire.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
We were using "tweels" on robots that I designed at Draper in 2001, so that's at least 8 years and I'm sure that I wasn't the first one to do it. My inspiration came from a caster wheel and who knows how long that thing was around. Same inspiration for the supercharger and turbocharger bashguards incidentally.

I agree 100% with Piper. That 2.5 Comp 32 is SO overdue. They should have made that tire in 2002.
hah hah...first time I met you, me, you, Jeremy R and John P were dividing up loot out of their box trailer at Mt. Snow after finals were over. Pretty sure that was the end of the heyday at that very instant.:thumb:

Edit: to clarify, dw was having to BUY tires for his team that day if that tells you his devotion to the sport.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Does this look like a DH 24 with one of the nobs missing (The one everyone clips out)?

Maybe they finally did this for us.

Then again, this gives you less options for custom cuts.

Also, this tire looks like it is running in reverse (from the way the arrow indicates). Will they finally reverse the arrow on the DH 24? It just seems weird to have a DH tire with the arrow pointing in the direction that gives you less traction (not that it is really an issue, just strikes me as strange).

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Does this look like a DH 24 with one of the nobs missing (The one everyone clips out)?

Maybe they finally did this for us.
they already did do that, not for us though (for WC teams/riders). I have a couple of 2.1 DH casing comp 24s that're molded so those knobs are virtually flat. the old 'Hot S' XC tyres were molded like that too

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
A 2.8 Comp 32 has almost killed me before due to a weak bead. I've also flatted their tires before from rolling them off the rim and pinching them through a corner (yes with higher pressures). Never tried them tubeless legitimately, only the ghetto setup which blew out through the bead also, but on a non-tubeless rim. A 2.5 Comp 32 with a Maxxis style casing/bead would be on my bike in a heartbeat though.

Pretty sure I'm going to be running the 909 tires for a while though.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
they already did do that, not for us though (for WC teams/riders). I have a couple of 2.1 DH casing comp 24s that're molded so those knobs are virtually flat. the old 'Hot S' XC tyres were molded like that too
There were some leaked specs of the 2010 Glorys out there and the tires listed were 2.4 Hot S's! :confused:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ran Michy's since 2001 exclusively and have only ever shredded one sidewall and that was at Massanutten and it was a used one from the season before. I was being a little elitist and saving my new tire for "race run".

In all fairness, there hasn't been a tire made that Massanutten hasn't given the kiss of death at race speed. Then again, tires are made of super soft organic matter, not adamantium, so anything can happen to any DH tire, except IRC...they just die on the rack.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Ran Michy's since 2001 exclusively and have only ever shredded one sidewall and that was at Massanutten and it was a used one from the season before. I was being a little elitist and saving my new tire for "race run".

In all fairness, there hasn't been a tire made that Massanutten hasn't given the kiss of death at race speed. Then again, tires are made of super soft organic matter, not adamantium, so anything can happen to any DH tire, except IRC...they just die on the rack.
I ran the Comp 32 up front from the year it came out until 2006, the very first ones had some sidewall issues but in the 2nd year or so they came with a + sign on the sidewall so you could tell it was a reinforced version. I did lose a bead on the gen 1 Comp 32s but never again after the newer version came out. I still have one sitting in my basement, just don't think I have a fork anymore that it will fit in well as they are huge!

I still run a Comp 16 2.2 on the rear and ran a Comp 16 2.5 on the rear up until this year, just don't have Mich on the front anymore but would if the Comp 32 came in a smaller width. Never lost a tire on the rear with Mich UST.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
hmmm, bike shop in the village at northstar has half a dozen sitting on the rack....dirt cheap too!
Hmm, if only I could get out there. :think:

As far as reliability, I haven't had problems running my comp32 with tubes or tubless... and that's with the tire starting to dry-rot :D

I think it works better with stans than the minions too after massanutten. With the comp32, you just saw a wet spot, but with the minions stans just sprayed out of the tiny holes.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Good to know about the newer sidewall/bead, I've been running the older version Comp 32 and 24 (cut) and have had two beads break. The tires didn't roll off the rim; the bead broke and the sidewall blows out. I suspect using Stans sealant had something to do with it though, the steel bead was rusty on the Comp 24 that let go.

Still my favorite tires by far though.

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I'm excited for the new ones too. I just hope they reinforce them a bit so you can run them tubeless in pointy rocks. Takes me about 2 days on a new tire to poke a big enough hole that sealant wont seal it - luckily I still have a pile of them.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Hurry up new Michelins!!!!! I'm down to my last 2 Comp 16's and one's on the bike. I had four 3 weeks ago. Damn N* rocks:mad:
you're running comp 16's at northstar.....? Srsly?

EDIT:
I have a bunch of comp 16's and other michelins lying around for sale, CHECK MY ADS

Last edited: