Quantcast

Michelin 24.1 Light/ Hot-S

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Hi all,

sorry for busting your b@lls with michelin again, but in the UK you cant get them easily due to distribution problems, so feedback on them is minimal.

Quick question

Comp24.1 Lite (850gr) 2.2
Hot-S 2.2 (630gr)

I see that they have nearly identical thread patterns. What about their compound? I need something that will last 6mile road rides towards the woods, but at the same time will give me the traction i want for trail/dh(nonracing) action inside the woods.

My guess is that the Hot-S will be of a harder compound since it is aimed more towards trailriding in comparison with 24.1lite which is classed as a DH-Race tire.

Any ideas?

Braap

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Acadian
I personally choose to run the Comp 24.1 light's on my trail and DS bikes. I just prefer the feel of the DH compound. I've tried the Hot-S in the past and even tho they do work great, you can't ride as agressive with them like you can with the Comp 24.1's.
Luc thanks for the feedback! With respect to the rubber compound, with they last the 6mile road rides to the woods? (normal calm ride...no skidding or anything like that...).

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Has anyone run a Comp 24.1 Lite on the front and a Hot S on the back? I was thinking that they might wear evenly and provide the extra grip in the front that many often looking for.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by dromond
Has anyone run a Comp 24.1 Lite on the front and a Hot S on the back? I was thinking that they might wear evenly and provide the extra grip in the front that many often looking for.
Is there such a difference in the wear rate between the Hot-S and the 24.1 Lite????

Given your very good idea, wouldnt a 200gr weight difference from front to rear affect the bike? (if it is total bvllsh1t ignore my question about balance)

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Originally posted by math2014
Is there such a difference in the wear rate between the Hot-S and the 24.1 Lite????

Given your very good idea, wouldnt a 200gr weight difference from front to rear affect the bike? (if it is total bvllsh1t ignore my question about balance)
I don't really know about the wear difference, although I assume that the softer rubber wears faster. People commonly run larger tires on the front so I don't think that the weight is an issue.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
Ive clocked in many Urban ride hours on my 2.8/2.5 Michelin combo, and ive gotta say they are wearing much better than my old maxxis 60d high rollers.
DONE.

That is what i needed to hear, coz my benchmark for wear rate were Maxxis 60a compound, and the crappy Specialized Roll-X tires i run now....

Now flame me at will for having such a crappy tire for so long...

Thanks everyone for the feedback on michies

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
As others have said, Michies wear very well. I have several pairs and they all have done very well.

What conditions are you riding in? Says UK in the profile...usually means mud...which usually makes the 24.1 a bad choice. Others might not disagree with me but I have found the 24.1 to be terrible in mud and wet. Not so bad on rocks but terrible in dirt. Great on hardpack, some loose stuff, though.

If you haven't finalized this yet, I would take a glance at the Comp 16 2.2. That might be my favorite all-time tire. Still good dry performance with much better perf. in wet and varied conditions.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by JRogers
As others have said, Michies wear very well. I have several pairs and they all have done very well.

What conditions are you riding in? Says UK in the profile...usually means mud...which usually makes the 24.1 a bad choice. Others might not disagree with me but I have found the 24.1 to be terrible in mud and wet. Not so bad on rocks but terrible in dirt. Great on hardpack, some loose stuff, though.

If you haven't finalized this yet, I would take a glance at the Comp 16 2.2. That might be my favorite all-time tire. Still good dry performance with much better perf. in wet and varied conditions.
If there was a Comp16Lite at 850gr like the Comp24.1Lite i would seriously consider it. Dirt magazine which is a UK mag, says that an ideal combo is comp16 front, comp24.1 in the real.

By saying terrible you mean it clogs up in mud a lot?

At the moment i am considering the Hot-S , the Conti Diesel and the new Panaracer Cinder as other alternatives.