Quantcast

Michelin 24 2.5 up front...what tyre at the back then?

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
gday!!! i got a sweet deal for a pair of micchy comp 24 2.5 tyres....but i am thinking of putting the micchy 24 2.5 up front and something else at the back..i know people ride with comp 24 2.5 ft and comp 16 2.5 back...but i couldnt get a cheap comp 16...over here its like 100(AUD) bucks for 1 of them..which is double the cost of a Maxxis tyre...so i am thinking of putting something else at the back
maybe Highroller at the back? or go with comp 24 front and back..
I like drifty tyres/set up btw...so...fire your opinions/recommendations!!

thanks

KC

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
comp 24 is a hard-pack tire, for dry conditions. It should only be used on the front if on dry conditions. It is often used on the BACK, with a combination of a comp16 on the front. The comp 16 is a great tire for soft/wet terrain (NOT peanutbuter mud). It is not the greatest for the dry because of the big side knobs.

SO:

1. if you are planning to ride in DRY conditions, then do use the comp24 on the front.
2. if not dry, then use a different tire on the front, like a comp16 or minion

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Dry: I use a Cut Comp 24 2.2 or 2.5 on the front and Comp 16 2.2 or 2.5 on the rear. The 16 helps with braking on the step stuff and allows you to wait to the last sec to brake.

Semi Wet: Use a Comp 16 2.2 on both front and rear. I find the 2.2 bite better in the wet than a 2.5 or larger tire.

Mud: Well depends on if it is wet mud or dry mud. Dry mud use a DH mud on front and a 16 2.2 on rear. Wet use both DH mud’s.

Everyone has their own preferred setups, you just have to find the ones that work best for you.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I've always known people (and myself) to run Mich comp24 tires only in back. I've read it's good to cut some of the treads if you want to run one in front (for control purposes). I think Acadian started a thread on this last year.

Otherwise you can keep both for the rear since they are soft and will wear somewhat quickly.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Comp.24's are awesome tires - pretty tough and roll really well. I'd be careful with running one up front - even in dry hardpack conditions the tread seems to break loose without warning causing the front end to wash out when being pushed at the limit. That's why a lot of guys run them in the back. You can control when and how they break loose and drift more easily this way.

For a rear tire it all depends on where you ride, what the conditions are, and your style of riding. Since the Michi's are too expensive down under, we'll take a look at the Maxxis offerings. If it is dry hardpack w/ some dust a Minion DHF in back hooks up REALLY well. Profro swears by em' and he gets to test new Maxxis tires through his hook-up. If anyone knows Maxxis it's that guy. In the same conditions, if you like to drift and skid/slide the rear end around, then the High Rollers are a good way to go.

If it is wet/muddy I'd go with a High Roller again because of the more open tread pattern when compared to a Minion. This helps to clear mud from the tire more efficiently. You could also run a "cut" Comp.24, but only if it is muddy/tacky at the most. In sloppy mud I'd go w/ a Swampthing, or even better a Wet Scream in a 2.5 60 duro (not available in the U.S. but everywhere else :wonky2:) . The higher duro helps the treads to dig in and not fold.

Hope this helps.

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
S.K.C. said:
Comp.24's are awesome tires - pretty tough and roll really well. I'd be careful with running one up front - even in dry hardpack conditions the tread seems to break loose without warning causing the front end to wash out when being pushed at the limit. That's why a lot of guys run them in the back. You can control when and how they break loose and drift more easily this way.

For a rear tire it all depends on where you ride, what the conditions are, and your style of riding. Since the Michi's are too expensive down under, we'll take a look at the Maxxis offerings. If it is dry hardpack w/ some dust a Minion DHF in back hooks up REALLY well. Profro swears by em' and he gets to test new Maxxis tires through his hook-up. If anyone knows Maxxis it's that guy. In the same conditions, if you like to drift and skid/slide the rear end around, then the High Rollers are a good way to go.

If it is wet/muddy I'd go with a High Roller again because of the more open tread pattern when compared to a Minion. This helps to clear mud from the tire more efficiently. You could also run a "cut" Comp.24, but only if it is muddy/tacky at the most. In sloppy mud I'd go w/ a Swampthing, or even better a Wet Scream in a 2.5 60 duro (not available in the U.S. but everywhere else :wonky2:) . The higher duro helps the treads to dig in and not fold.

Hope this helps.
WOW...thanks that really helped!!! okay i have decided to run the comp 24 at the back as you said...what should i run at the front then? highroller? or minion DHF or something else?

tjhanks...that was really helpful

KC

edit: Ohhhh...reading the thread again...theres heaps of mixed responses...some pple say to run comp 24 up front ONLY and some say the back ONLY....i guess i will have to try differnt combinations: so i think i will try....comp 24 at the front with a highroller at the back...and Highroller or DHF in the front and comp 24 at the back...and see how it goes...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Minion DHF in a 40d or 42d 2.7 on the front and what you have from Michelin on the rear would end up being a great combo, and the DHF is my favourite front tire for where I ride (East coast Canada), having tried all Maxxis has. If not, then try a comp 16 on the front.

TurnerDHRider

Monkey
Jul 5, 2004
Sydney, Australia
atrokz said:
Minion DHF in a 40d or 42d 2.7 on the front and what you have from Michelin on the rear would end up being a great combo, and the DHF is my favourite front tire for where I ride (East coast Canada), having tried all Maxxis has. If not, then try a comp 16 on the front.
thanks duder :thumb: i am going to give it a test run now...

KC

Aug 11, 2004
Ca and Co
As long as its somewhat soft, you cant lose with a cut comp 24 in the rear, and a comp 16 up front. The comp 16 hooks up, up front where the traction is needed, and the cut comp 24 hooks up way better than stock yet still has amazing rolling resistance. Its the way to go.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
NorCalRacer105 said:
As long as its somewhat soft, you cant lose with a cut comp 24 in the rear, and a comp 16 up front. The comp 16 hooks up, up front where the traction is needed, and the cut comp 24 hooks up way better than stock yet still has amazing rolling resistance. Its the way to go.
huh? amazing rolling resistance. YES, thats what i want - to go slower! :rolleyes:

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
NorCalRacer105 said:
You know what i mean. There's little rolling resistance and they hook up amazing.
yea yea:monkey: . Well anway, Michelin tires are designed for less rolling resistance - if you run them in the 'designated' direction. If you run them the other way, you get more rolling resistance, but BETTER traction.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I ran comp 24s front and rear...never had a problem with it so long as it was dry. I lived in southern California, so it usually was...

Comp 32 front comp24 rear, however, is an incredible combo IF you can deal with the rolling resistance and weight of the 32.