Quantcast

Michelin comp 16 any good?

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with the michelin comp 16 as a front tire? Right now I am running a 2.8 dh32 and I really like the way it bites in the corners and brakes and I would like a tire that rides like it but in a smaller size, the 2.8 is huge and pretty much is a ballon. I run a cut dh24 in back and it works as a good rear tire but it breaks loose too easily in the front. I weigh about 230 and I live in socal so it needs to work good on rocks, sand, and hardpack.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The Comp16 is a superb tire, but it really shines in wet conditions. For rocks, sand and hardpack, you could also consider the Maxxis High Roller 2.5 SuperTacky. I've been riding the C16 for like 5 seasons, but my new bike came with the Maxxis HR and I decided to try them. I actually prefer them for dry conditions, but I always have a set of wheel with C16 on them for wet conditions.

The Michelin would serve you very well also, but I'm afraid you would find that it wears fast on dry rocks and hardpack.
:)

Jan 29, 2005
I'd get a 2.7 highroller or minion for your conditions. A 2.5 maxxis is noticably smaller than a 2.5 michelin, so make sure you take that into account when ordering tires

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Running a comp 16 in the front on dry stuff is sketchy. I like it in the rocks with loose dirt on top, but on hardpack, or just rocks, or soft non-wet stuff I prefer to run other stuff. I certainly agree with you on the fact that the 24 breaks loose too easy even if it's cut. I found that tire to be far better on hard pack than the 16. The 32 is a tough tread to beat. I wish they would put that out in a 2.5. It just works so well.

-Kevin

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
c24, c16 combo is an excellent combo. i have a set getting ready to go on the new sunday as we speak. i will have to agree with everyone else though about the dry stuff. its certainly not a bad choice when it comes to dry, but it deffinatly shines in my east coast muck.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Does anyone have any experience with the michelin comp 16 as a front tire? Right now I am running a 2.8 dh32 and I really like the way it bites in the corners and brakes and I would like a tire that rides like it but in a smaller size, the 2.8 is huge and pretty much is a ballon. I run a cut dh24 in back and it works as a good rear tire but it breaks loose too easily in the front. I weigh about 230 and I live in socal so it needs to work good on rocks, sand, and hardpack.
I was rocking the 16/24 combo in SB this summer. The 16 blows in socal, straight up. The knobs are too tall and they fold over. It definitely caused me to wash out a few times. Stick with the 32, thats what I did. I saw some others riding the 24/24 combo. But I like the 2.2 24/2.8 32 (r/f).

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
something to note, 2.5 comp 16 is a totally different tire from the 2.2 comp 16. the tread design is different too.

the 2.5 has really long side knobs, folds over very badly on hardpack. the 2.2 works fine on hard pack. but both of them will wear out very fast in dry conditions.

for the rear you might be alright with it. if you like the comp 32, you can get another one and cut the center knobs to make them roll faster. i think its called the jared rando cut?

otherwise the move to maxxis tires might be a good one.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
something to note, 2.5 comp 16 is a totally different tire from the 2.2 comp 16. the tread design is different too.

the 2.5 has really long side knobs, folds over very badly on hardpack. the 2.2 works fine on hard pack. but both of them will wear out very fast in dry conditions.

for the rear you might be alright with it. if you like the comp 32, you can get another one and cut the center knobs to make them roll faster. i think its called the jared rando cut?

otherwise the move to maxxis tires might be a good one.

how do you do the rando cut, any pics?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
dont have any. just cut down the centre knobs by a couple of mm or a bit less, and make them ramped with higher side being the side of the knob that will be doing the braking.

knowing what So. Cal soil is like, i would say that you have the best setup possible...

i noticed that on the 16, the cornering treads were too close spaced and narrow to be effective in our DG crap... the same went for the 24- the cornering treads are just too close and too small. wile it works awesome as a rear tire down here, i ran it as a front tire in a race at Ted Williams and was washing all over the place...

right now i have the DH32/DH24 combo and its the best ive ridden...

personally, i hated Maxxis high rollers for our soil along with Gazza's, Minions, and Blue Groove...
Kenda's Kinetics worked well for the short time i had it on my bike(i just took it off because i finally got my DH32...

also it seems like half the guys down here run Hutchinsons and love them... i have no experience with these though

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
im ordering a 16 for the front and a 24 for the rear. i think it will suit my ridin style just fine for fontona.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
jamesdc11, my first question would be where do you ride the most and the conditions you ride in? You are going to get so many different answers that may or may not suit you. Until you give us this info I would hold off on getting tires.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
jamesdc11, my first question would be where do you ride the most and the conditions you ride in? You are going to get so many different answers that may or may not suit you. Until you give us this info I would hold off on getting tires.
Heres a pic of one of the trails I usually ride, lots of rocks and hardpack and hardpack with sand on top.

Attachments

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
2.7 blue groove front
2.5 nevegal rear
I usually run 2.5 single ply but race and huck this set up for the heavy abuse. Works flawless so far, Fontana, tunnel, Cold springs, webb, mt. wilson, sjt, tamarack ID, Beacon (spokane wa), Beauty creek (couerdelane, ID), Slate creek (idaho), Bootleg I think you get the point!!!!!!!!!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Heres a pic of one of the trails I usually ride, lots of rocks and hardpack and hardpack with sand on top.
If you want to stay with Michelins, I would run Comp 24 2.5's front and back. Try them out first uncut. It you are not happy with the bite the tires have to the ground, then cut the Inner Outer Knobs out. The tire will act more like a Comp 16 with the knobs cut down in the conditions your riding in.

Good luck man....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
No one's mentioned cutting the comp16. There was a thread about this a loooong time ago. I think it was Acadian that posted the pics of how and where to cut the treads on the comp16 AND the comp24.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Michelin is going to be the next cult favorite.... :D
I want to try the 24/32 combo ( i like a 2.7 in front in the loose stuff), Im not saying that Kendas arent great (they are) but i want to try the michys as well. A little worried I wont like the hook up and have to swap again.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Michelin is going to be the next cult favorite.... :D
I want to try the 24/32 combo ( i like a 2.7 in front in the loose stuff), Im not saying that Kendas arent great (they are) but i want to try the michys as well. A little worried I wont like the hook up and have to swap again.
I think you will be supersized........ You will be fine with a 2.5” up front. Michelins have a little more Air Volume than most brands out there, so their tires are a little bigger than they say they are.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Comp 16 blows goats in so cal. Those tall lugs fold over way too easy on hardpack.
Not a fan of the Comp 24 either here. At least the comp24 break traction predictably instead of just dumping you.
Never tried a comp32 and never will. 2.8 is just too f'n big.

The tires I've had the best grip in so-cal with are the Minion DHF's, followed up by the High Roller.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Im ordering my Kendas right now for the season, how do the michys hook up compared to the Kendas in the SW/NW kind of conditions?
I really can't quote any other brand. I have been racing for Michelin for over 12 years. Every time I have raced or rode out West I have always ran the Comp 24s ether Uncut or Cut. Never had any problems. I will say that it is true that the Comp 16s will fold over on you if you are on Hard Compact conditions. That is why I said try the Comp 24s. The 16s are best here in the East and in Wet conditions. We have asked Michelin for years to come out with a Comp 32 in a 2.5". They say that cutting the Knobs out on the Comp 24's would be almost the same thing so that is why they have not done this.

Whatever tire or brand you run you will have a learning curve to get over to truly understand how it will react in any condition you ride in. Learn how to ride what you have and know. Then and only then it will work for you!!!!!

Good luck.....

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
They say that cutting the Knobs out on the Comp 24's would be almost the same thing so that is why they have not done this.
Is that right, eh?

Hmmm... I might try that out. The only thing I don't like is the comp24's profile. The comp16 is a little bit taller.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I just bought a few 16's & 24 Michelins! The 2.2 comp24 should be ideal size for my Bullit on the rear.
Wouldn't the 24 on the rear work better ran reverse of the arrow on the sidewall,then it would be (like a high roller) ?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I just bought a few 16's & 24 Michelins! The 2.2 comp24 should be ideal size for my Bullit on the rear.
Wouldn't the 24 on the rear work better ran reverse of the arrow on the sidewall,then it would be (like a high roller) ?
Ignore what the sidewall says. I believe someone said that Michelins molds were incorrect and that it was too expensive to fix so they left it. Ramps face forward.

-Kevin

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Ignore what the sidewall says. I believe someone said that Michelins molds were incorrect and that it was too expensive to fix so they left it. Ramps face forward.

-Kevin
Thanks for the info! I was going to run them with the ramps forward anyways; but was wondering wtf?!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Im ordering my Kendas right now for the season, how do the michys hook up compared to the Kendas in the SW/NW kind of conditions?
I think they'd do pretty well. Like others have said, the 24s are good for dry and hard stuff, not so good in the wet. Comp 16s are good in wet or mixed stuff, but the 2.5s fold over in the dry a little easily. The 16 2.5 makes a great tire for most wet courses I've seen- not sloppy enough or too many rocks for a dedicated mud tire but not dry enough for a regular tread. Not really sure which of those two would be best for dusty conditions- hardpack with a bunch of dust over the top.

The Comp 32 will stick to anything. If you're running Kenda 2.7s, then the 32 will probably not be too big for your tastes. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the tread area is slightly smaller on the Comp 32 compared to a Kenda 2.7, but the 32 has a higher air volume, height and more round profile. It damps terrain like no other tire out there and it sticks to anything and everything. It's a bit big for a lot of terrain (rolling isn't terrible, but certainly not fast) but it's a lot of fun.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Wouldn't SW and NW conditions be almost exact opposite? SW is dry, dusty and rocky, NW is more wet, muddy and rooty. I've ran both Kendas and Michelin, I'm currently on Michelin and I like them a little better, they seem to smooth out the trail a little more. They are also bigger tires. I run a 2.5 comp 16 in the back and a 2.8 comp 32 in the front, it seems to work fine for me. The 2.8 is heavy, but fun and I don't race so I don't really care.