Quantcast

Michelin tyres

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I'm looking for something fresh then my high roller combo for vallnord this year.

I'm interested in some Michelin's, DH 16/24, but I'm worried about how fast they will wear, Andorra's conditions are rough, rocky and dry, and i took down a rear high roller 42a in about a week or two, and I can't afford to keep replacing tyres.

How are the Michelin's for tire wear and grip in those kind of conditions?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i'll get 2.5 comp 24s front and back. cut the front tire if you ride in loose stuff.

24 wear really slowly, even slower if you follow the rotational direction.

comp 16s wear out really fast in the dry, but do great in the wet. i also wouldn't run 2.5 comp 16s in the dry, they fold over easy. 2.2s are great.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
cheers, i forgot to say that you might want to try comp 32s too. but i have no experience with them.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
cheers, i forgot to say that you might want to try comp 32s too. but i have no experience with them.
The only places I've found where the 32's performance overcomes their weight penalty are on big burly moto-style tracks like the Mount Snow, VT Nationals course. That's easily the roughest track I've ever ridden in 10+ years of DHing, with super high speeds and sharp, gnarly rocks everywhere.

It sucks, too, because you get the impression that the tread pattern could make for a great all-around tire, if not for the massive size and accompanying weight. It would be sweet to see a 2.5" Comp 32.

--JP

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
i'll get 2.5 comp 24s front and back. cut the front tire if you ride in loose stuff.

comp 16s wear out really fast in the dry, but do great in the wet. i also wouldn't run 2.5 comp 16s in the dry, they fold over easy. 2.2s are great.
It's not super loose, but it's not hardpack. I think I'll pick some of those up and see how they go

thanks.

damn i'm so pumped for this season haha

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina

Great advice here!!! Try the 24’s first and if you don’t think you have that much grip up front, pick up a Comp 16 2.5” for the front too. That way you can change it out when needed.

The only places I've found where the 32's performance overcomes their weight penalty are on big burly moto-style tracks like the Mount Snow, VT Nationals course. That's easily the roughest track I've ever ridden in 10+ years of DHing, with super high speeds and sharp, gnarly rocks everywhere.

It sucks, too, because you get the impression that the tread pattern could make for a great all-around tire, if not for the massive size and accompanying weight. It would be sweet to see a 2.5" Comp 32.

--JP
So true, so true... I have not ran a comp 32 since the last time I was at Mount Snow VT, back in 2002. As for the 2.5" Comp 32 I am still :disgust1: my head on why Michelin would not make this tire after so many DHers asked for it.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
How much quicker do the 16's wear compared to the 24?
Really depends on the conditions your riding in. Lose ground or Wet ground the 16 will last a good while. Dry or hard compact it will wear out fast.

A cut 24 does well in semi wet conditions and lose ground, but will also will wear out fast if you are pushing it hard a lot, as any tire will.

Get 2 Comp 24s and one comp 16. Cut one comp 24 and leave one uncut. Try the cut on the front and the uncut on the back. If you have plenty of grip on the front you are good, if not put the 16 on. If you don't have the grip you want on the rear, cut the rear.

Hope this helps.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
...As for the 2.5" Comp 32 I am still :disgust1: my head on why Michelin would not make this tire after so many DHers asked for it.
The 2 main qualities that make the 32 so great is it's large volume and the big, burley knobs. By shrinking it to a 2.5 you'll loose both of these.

It def. would be neat to see what they came up with if they tried but I don't think they need it, they have 2 really good 2.5 tires for a wide range of conditions.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
The 2 main qualities that make the 32 so great is it's large volume and the big, burley knobs. By shrinking it to a 2.5 you'll loose both of these.

It def. would be neat to see what they came up with if they tried but I don't think they need it, they have 2 really good 2.5 tires for a wide range of conditions.
This I do know as I have been on Michelins for over 13+ years now.

As for the Comp 32 I am mainly referring to how aggressive the tire is and how long it last. They need that format in a 2.5" and yes both the Comp 24 and 16 are great tires!!!!

the DH 32 also works amazing in wet stuff as well- rocks, roots, slick/mud spots...
i ran them front and back for a few weeks and was really impressed, but the rolling resistance was just nuts... traction was more than availible and braking power ruled, but they were just slow...
as a front tire though, it just rules, i've never broken one loose over anything unless i put a bunch of effort into trying...

DH32 front/DH24 rear is the best combo i've ever ridden...

sorry for the noob question, but how would you cut the DH24 for better traction?
i mostly ride loose over hardpack soil, but right now its all muddy and loamy down here and the tire rules in the back... it just breaks loose when its dry... very predictably though!!! thats kinda the good part!

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
The 2.5 DH24 is my favorite rear by far. I rode bootleg for 3 days on a new tire and it was pretty shredded at the end. Lots of tiny chunks were nibbled away and the knobs rounded out. I sometimes take my dh bike to work which is 16 miles round trip. The street is wearing it down fairly quickly, especially if you have lots of climbs.

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
...As for the Comp 32 I am mainly referring to how aggressive the tire is and how long it last.
... and since they use the same compound across the board, aggressiveness and knob durability is then only a factor of knob size, support and spacing, which will be different if the tire is scaled down.

A perfect example is the Comp16. The 2.2" is a VERY different tire than the 2.5". Both are great tires, but I don't think a 2.5" 32 will have much in common with the 2.8". Though if it ever went into production it might be a better 2.5" front tire than the Comp16?!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
... and since they use the same compound across the board, aggressiveness and knob durability is then only a factor of knob size, support and spacing, which will be different if the tire is scaled down.

A perfect example is the Comp16. The 2.2" is a VERY different tire than the 2.5". Both are great tires, but I don't think a 2.5" 32 will have much in common with the 2.8". Though if it ever went into production it might be a better 2.5" front tire than the Comp16?!
Ok, you win!!!!!:clapping:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
do you guys ride in wet or loose conditions all the time? coz just the thought of running a 2.5 comp 16 in front on anything close to hardpack scares me.

i would trust a 2.5 wetscream more then a 2.5 comp 16 on hardpack.

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
I rode around 10 days or more at Valnord last summer.
I ride Minion DHF front and back. I wouldn't go Michelin because with all the rocks they will puncture easier than Maxxis. (Last time I rode Comp 16 2.5 on the back I flatted in the rocks at the end of the Maxi Avalanche track, that was 2 years ago)
Last year I swithched to Maxxis and didn't flat once.
Plus I find the Minions last longer than High Rollers.
The ground is so abrasive that pretty much anything will grip.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I ride Minion DHF front and back. I wouldn't go Michelin because with all the rocks they will puncture easier than Maxxis. (Last time I rode Comp 16 2.5 on the back I flatted in the rocks at the end of the Maxi Avalanche track, that was 2 years ago)
Those rocks haven't got any smoother thats for sure :). I didn't flat once over the past 2 years on a minion/high roller combo 2.7's, so maybe I should stick with them.

Are you going again this year? Do you ride at grandvalira too?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Here is the definitive thread on Michelin Comp 24 cutting:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105501&highlight=cut+comp

I've not had a flat on a Michelin in 3 seasons. I must be graceful like a gazelle...right guys. :thumb:

Comp 32...my favorite all time tire for moto pleasure to the extreme. I love breaking it out at Snowshoe, Diablo, Windrock and Mt. Snow on the front. Haven't put it on the back since Mt. Snow a few years back. Talk about rear traction...geez! But the thing the Comp 32 accomplishes that makes me love it is you can go down an insanely steep chute and brake at the very last instant with a fistful of brake...and it won't break loose. It's the most confidence inspiring thing on the front to do that...especially the old straight down chute at Windrock in Trail 1.

In terms of trade-offs of the Comp 16 and 24, you can get away with running the 16's in most anyplace except hardpack. If a course is mostly off camber and the least bit soft, which most tracks are...it's going to work great on front. If you have a track where braking is more important, the 24 is a definitely better tire at bringing you down from speed, hardpack or softpack.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I've not had a flat on a Michelin in 3 seasons. I must be graceful like a gazelle...right guys. :thumb:[/IMG]
Ha Ha!!!! Right the opposite. I will have to say it’s amazing with your riding style you don't flat more than you do. Somehow you find a way to make it work. Word to the wise if you ever ride with Butch do ride behind him!!!!!!!!

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
Great link Butch!

So, I am looking at the Michelin info on the web and see that the comp 16 and 24 come in 2.2 and 2.5. Yet the weight difference on these is like 100g!? Is there a noticable size difference between the 2.2 and 2.5? Which size do you use for DH? and why? Do they both use kevlar beads or not?

I really like the fact that the Michelins are tubeless. I gave up trying to mount my Intense WC 2.5 tubeless. I am sure it would work, but the bead just would not cooperate. Ergo, I mounted a 2.3 Tioga DH, not my favorite tire, but will do until I get someting else.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
2.2 is a bit smaller then what maxxis call 2.5 and 2.5 is closer to what maxxis call 2.7. quite a huge difference really. all michelin dh tires use steel beads.

the new intense FRO's actually work really well tubeless, of course you would need sealant, but they got a good tight bead.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Great link Butch!

So, I am looking at the Michelin info on the web and see that the comp 16 and 24 come in 2.2 and 2.5. Yet the weight difference on these is like 100g!? Is there a noticable size difference between the 2.2 and 2.5? Which size do you use for DH? and why? Do they both use kevlar beads or not?

I really like the fact that the Michelins are tubeless. I gave up trying to mount my Intense WC 2.5 tubeless. I am sure it would work, but the bead just would not cooperate. Ergo, I mounted a 2.3 Tioga DH, not my favorite tire, but will do until I get someting else.
Their is a noticable size difference between the two. I run both 2.2 and 2.5 for DH. I am just lucky enough to have many of both laying around to change from for different courses. If you are only getting one pair go with the 2.5s.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I had Maxxis Minion 2.5s and i always felt sketchy when leaning the bike into a corner as if it were going to slide. I got a pair of Dh 24 2.5s because they have the extra row of tread between the middle and side which allows me to grip better when laying it down. Thats just why i got them, i really couldnt care too much about how fast they roll if i cut out those knobs, i would rather have control.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
I had Maxxis Minion 2.5s and i always felt sketchy when leaning the bike into a corner as if it were going to slide. I got a pair of Dh 24 2.5s because they have the extra row of tread between the middle and side which allows me to grip better when laying it down. Thats just why i got them, i really couldnt care too much about how fast they roll if i cut out those knobs, i would rather have control.
the cut increases the rolling resistance, but the main point of it is to increase the cornering traction.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
interesting cause i always thought it was the other way around.. idk i guess i was just skeptical of the treads rolling or something. i ride on campus a good bit too so its nice to have that extra tread to lay down on pavement. you kinda need it when you're blazing through the masses of students walking to class

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
you have got to be cornering pretty faking hard for the side knobs on the comp 24s to fold over, cut or not.

which way are you running your tires? in the opposite direction to the rolling direction they are close to high roller semi slicks. roll bloody quick!

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
i was referring to me being afraid of rolling the tread on the minions. i havent and am 98% sure i wont cut my michelins. they work great for me. i did turn mine to roll the opposite direction yesterday actually but havent made it out to the trail yet due to rain

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I've found my Michelins to have a much longer life than Maxxis, for no obvious grip deficiency. I've been running the same cut DH24s for 12 months and they are just starting to tear now. A SR High Roller would only be good for 2 months doing the same amount of runs.

I think anyone can make a grippy tyre, but an experienced tyre company like Michelin (or Continental, who I wish would make DH tryes) can make a grippy tyre that isn't so soft that is rips itself to shreds.

olie

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Newcastle, Uk
anyone got any ride time on a mud 3 compared to swamp thing or a wet scream, can be cut or not. in the market for some new mud tyres and wondering what to get.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
anyone got any ride time on a mud 3 compared to swamp thing or a wet scream, can be cut or not. in the market for some new mud tyres and wondering what to get.
forget swamp things, they are not proper mud tires. i found the mud 3s dig in more then the wetscream, but hit any rocks or roots and you are in trouble. the 2.5 wetscream seems like a better all round mud tires.

nothing beats mud 3s on wet grass. :drool:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
forget swamp things, they are not proper mud tires. i found the mud 3s dig in more then the wetscream, but hit any rocks or roots and you are in trouble. the 2.5 wetscream seems like a better all round mud tires.

nothing beats mud 3s on wet grass. :drool:
Agreed. The Mud3s are narrow and have very long knobs. They would be scary to use on anything but more or less all mud/grass courses. Swampthings, though they don't seem to get too much praise these days, are good tires. I like them on the kinds of muddy courses we get where I am: muddy, but always has rocky sections that I'd rather not be on a true mud tire with.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
they do work well in the right conditions, but i find that cut down spikes do that job really well and work in a wider range of conditions.

my favorite tires are the minion, comp 24, barracuda, comp 16 and cut down wet screams. next tires i am going to try is the intense fro range. mainly the dh and 909. maybe the edge too. i love trying new tires, they are all so different. if you use them in the right conditions, it makes your ride so much better.