Quantcast

Mick Hannah injured at Mt. Snow

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Here's a press release from Mick's manager.

MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, 28 AUG 2005

In what has proven to be a mixed weekend for Australian riders, with Luke Strom injuring himself in practice and being unable to race over the weekend and Jared Graves taking two NORBA Series Championships, Mick Hannah was taken to hospital with suspected neck injuries after slamming into a tree in the DH at the final NORBA Round in Mount Snow, Vermont.

Hannah was released late today with severe bruising that may restrict his World Championship assault.

"It is pretty sore right now, but structurally the doctor said there will be no issues with racing. It is going to be sore for a bit, but hopefully by Wednesday it will be back to full movement," said Hannah, "The doctor said the muscle area took most of the brunt, but that also means I have some pretty deep bruising which will take a bit of time to heal".

After a poor Dual Slalom result, Hannah was chasing a good DH finish to the NORBA season, but the crash put an end to any hope of another victory to add to the last weekend's double-win.

"I was beginning to think the season was going to be injury-free for Mick," said his manager, Gavin Donehue,"He has had such a bad run in the last few years that I must admit I wasn't too surprised to get a phone call at 2am on Sunday telling me he was being taken to hospital".

Mick will still fly out to Italy for the World Cup as scheduled , but will undergo Physio treatment as soon as he arrives.

Freesport Management

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Shame hes so amazing. Maybe its a sign to wear some kind of armor since i never see him with any leg pads or anything.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
With a quote like this in a PR from your manager-sounds like its time for a new manager (and some body armor)...

"I was beginning to think the season was going to be injury-free for Mick," said his manager, Gavin Donehue,"He has had such a bad run in the last few years that I must admit I wasn't too surprised to get a phone call at 2am on Sunday telling me he was being taken to hospital".

That would be like the PR guy for Hyundai putting out a press release; "our cars have been really running great, but when I got a call from our drivers at 2am telling me the car broke down-I was not surprised" :o:

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
That's great news !! I saw Mick getting carried out of the Yard sale and I was very concerned that His injuries were more severe.

Right after His crash qualifying was halted. times and points were thrown out and the course rerouted with every racer having to do another run down the "new course" all but 9 pros had to get thru the yard sale in the pouring rain to qualify. The course should have been modified as soon an rain started to fall. Bad call on norbas part. Oh almost forgot....." MT SNOW SUCKS"

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
stiksandstones said:
With a quote like this in a PR from your manager-sounds like its time for a new manager (and some body armor)...

That would be like the PR guy for Hyundai putting out a press release; "our cars have been really running great, but when I got a call from our drivers at 2am telling me the car broke down-I was not surprised" :o:
That's what I was thinking when I read that. It seems like his manager is more of a hindrance than a help.

dbp

Chimp
Aug 26, 2005
mobius said:
Shame hes so amazing. Maybe its a sign to wear some kind of armor since i never see him with any leg pads or anything.

generally pads won't stop those types of injuries....

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Heh - yup, sounds like Mick needs a new Manager.

With PR like that, who needs critics?!

I gotta tell you though, after watching him, this guy is like a Pittbull... Super aggressive style.

Hope he heals up and can make some more races safely.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i find it ironic that me and GR were at the top of the yardsale talking about how scary the course was when Mick chimed in "I love it that way, this is my favorite track" (insert thick aussie accent)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think you're taking it out of context. I think his team manager recognizes that at the top level, winners like Hannah have crashes that are serious and very rarely minor. Especially considering to win in pro, you have to be on the very edge of what is smart and the slightest mistakes have tremendous consequences.

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
bizutch said:
I think you're taking it out of context. I think his team manager recognizes that at the top level, winners like Hannah have crashes that are serious and very rarely minor. Especially considering to win in pro, you have to be on the very edge of what is smart and the slightest mistakes have tremendous consequences.
I agree. To me he was just saying that Mic pins it every year and usually has to deal with injuries. I didn't think he was putting him down at all..

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
bizutch said:
Sounds like this is the first email you have seen from the manager.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Sgt Brown said:
I agree. To me he was just saying that Mic pins it every year and usually has to deal with injuries. I didn't think he was putting him down at all..
Exactly...something you do not want to be 'promoting' when you are trying to find a ride for your athlete.

"Perception becomes reality"

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
stiksandstones said:
Exactly...something you do not want to be 'promoting' when you are trying to find a ride for your athlete.

"Perception becomes reality"
You do have a point. No need to mention it at all I guess. Just report on the facts at hand..

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Pip3r said:
i find it ironic that me and GR were at the top of the yardsale talking about how scary the course was when Mick chimed in "I love it that way, this is my favorite track" (insert thick aussie accent)
Yeah, he told me that before about some really stupid sections. I think it is the aussie tough guy reflex they have built into them.

Fact remains, he will heal and be back to Brute status momentarily.

Sgt Brown

Monkey
Feb 19, 2002
Trabuco Canyon, CA
stiksandstones said:
Wow, let me spell it out for you...

If someone is looking for sponsorship for the next season should a person be doing their best to make themselves look like a marketable rider? or putting out PR that displays your faults (i.e. 'not surprised he was hurt')

Now, with your reasoning and lack of understanding I bet you are one of those guys that when looking for sponsorship sent out a resume that listed your faults, not your accolades?

Nevermind, this is like trying to teach my nephew how to walk.
I was aggreeing with you...

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
what i found amazing was that even after the seriousness of the crash, Mick felt good enough to coast down to the finish (where the medics then elected to put him on a backboard & take him to the hospital). Mick's one tough mofo. Still what's amazing....is that he still QUALIFIED 29th for the FINAL! ....if it were me....i'd still be there crying in agony.

Spoke to mick after he got back from the hospital. He said he's all good....gonna be sore for quite a while....as you would expect. he can't really turn his head all that well...but that should be getting better every day. Apparently he did have a bit of trouble swallowing at the time of the incident, & when they put the neckbrace on, he had troulble breathing......so there was definately a lot of swelling there. Anyway, as GNARLY as the crash was.....it's awsome to see he wasn't as hurt as he could have been!

The weekend was pretty jacked up though....i don't think they've had a Final at Mt Snow in the past few years where they've let riders go through the Yard Sale because of the wet/dangerous conditions.... so why not just get rid of the damn section?!?! Soooooo many riders have been hurt in that area for something that could have been provented. Stupid in my opinion.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
yah, sucks for Luke Strom too... He was riding extremely well during practice. unfortunately during the timed runs, he hit one of the g-out drops right out the start & lost his front wheel. He slammed himself into his handlebars (bars to the chest) & snapped his carbon dh bars. luckily he didn't puncture his chest. Unfortunately he did slam his head into the ground pretty hard. I ran down & was the first to him. he was knocked pretty silly, mumbling incoherently, but pretty quickly came to. he was still out of it & later told me that he couldn't remember 2hrs after leaving the start gate.
Luckily for him, course marshals called the medics pretty quickly & he was attended to top notch! Although he probably didn't need it, we took him out on a backboard for procautionary reasons.

Although he wasn't able to race...& also couldn't through out the mandatory points for Mt Snow, Luke still managed to hold onto TOP 10 overall results in 4X & DH.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
DylanDeanDesign said:
yah, sucks for Luke Strom too... He was riding extremely well during practice. unfortunately during the timed runs, he hit one of the g-out drops right out the start & lost his front wheel. He slammed himself into his handlebars (bars to the chest) & snapped his carbon dh bars. luckily he didn't puncture his chest. Unfortunately he did slam his head into the ground pretty hard. I ran down & was the first to him. he was knocked pretty silly, mumbling incoherently, but pretty quickly came to. he was still out of it & later told me that he couldn't remember 2hrs after leaving the start gate.
Luckily for him, course marshals called the medics pretty quickly & he was attended to top notch! Although he probably didn't need it, we took him out on a backboard for procautionary reasons.

Although he wasn't able to race...& also couldn't through out the mandatory points for Mt Snow, Luke still managed to hold onto TOP 10 overall results in 4X & DH.
starting countdown to some gibber starting a "Carbon DH Bars Kill" thread in 5.....4......3......2.....*

So anyway, you snap some clean pics up there or not bro? Now that Spom's is holding back all his cards from the forum, why don't you ante' up with the goods!!!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Hannah was my pick to win the World Championship this year.....not the most obvious choice but he seems to be able to raise his game to high levels at times. Also over the past year he has been laying done some serious smack on the free-ride scene schooling those guys.......not at comps but off camera, nailing the sickest lines....

Coming off of Snowshoe where he beat Graves by 3 seconds i thought he was doing a nice job peaking out his season......and on form for the "Rainbow upset" in Italiano...

Hope he heals quick.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
bizutch said:
starting countdown to some gibber starting a "Carbon DH Bars Kill" thread in 5.....4......3......2.....*

So anyway, you snap some clean pics up there or not bro? Now that Spom's is holding back all his cards from the forum, why don't you ante' up with the goods!!!

No Sh*t huh,........did someone post it yet?....ok,how about now?? hah

the way he crashed, & by the force, i think a normal set of alum. bars would have bent SEVERELY. so either way....he & it would be jacked.

yeah, got a bunch of pics from Mt. Snow.... just gotta edit & sort through them all. sooo much to do, so little time. I've been meaning to start posting updates & pics from the races, but i usually don't have time to get to it.

Now that i'm a photographer, painter, team manager, agent, & whatever else i'm forgetting, i'm just trying to make room to breathe & eat! (notice i didn't say anything about sleeping! ) ha

I need to update my website too! I've still got Angelfire, Snowmass, etc pics i still haven't posted yet! aaack!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I saw you at Snowmass and you snapped a picture of me in one of the left hand berms right before the road crossing. I remember telling you at the USOpen to not waste storage space on me. :p so I guessed you where testing your flash. ;)

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
stiksandstones said:
I think it is the aussie tough guy reflex they have built into them.
sounds like a good guess.

i think the reason he said the section is so awesome is because he practically HAS to. i can't believe how much confidence comes into play and what you have to THINK to be able to ride sections at certain speeds. it seems almost a necessity these days to be a 'badass' in your mind and to be on the podium.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
DylanDeanDesign said:
No Sh*t huh,........did someone post it yet?....ok,how about now?? hah

the way he crashed, & by the force, i think a normal set of alum. bars would have bent SEVERELY. so either way....he & it would be jacked.

yeah, got a bunch of pics from Mt. Snow.... just gotta edit & sort through them all. sooo much to do, so little time. I've been meaning to start posting updates & pics from the races, but i usually don't have time to get to it.

Now that i'm a photographer, painter, team manager, agent, & whatever else i'm forgetting, i'm just trying to make room to breathe & eat! (notice i didn't say anything about sleeping! ) ha

I need to update my website too! I've still got Angelfire, Snowmass, etc pics i still haven't posted yet! aaack!
I know even if you did, they arent ready, but did you take any non-pro pics? Such as Jr X DH and Sport Dual Slalom?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
DylanDeanDesign said:

you forgot to mention standing out in the freezing cold and rain to hold up an umbrella for riders who were waiting to get into the starts gate.... much appreciated my friend.

harobloke

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Another dimension
stiksandstones said:

It seems to be common knowledge that Mick has been on various frames this year branded as Haro (Craftworks, Cove, ?, ?) but are you suggesting he's looking to get off Haro, or that Haro are looking at dropping Mick from the squad?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
harobloke said:
It seems to be common knowledge that Mick has been on various frames this year branded as Haro (Craftworks, Cove, ?, ?) but are you suggesting he's looking to get off Haro, or that Haro are looking at dropping Mick from the squad?
Stik's not suggesting that. Mick's promo people are responsible for tying in outside sponsors to support their race team. That's what Stik is talking about. If you were to bad mouth your own rider, it would make it harder to attract sponsors to help Haro foot Mick's bills...you're "assuming".

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
This stinks. Hannah is one of my favorite riders; I really wanted to see him at 100% for the Worlds. I was about 5 feet away when he crashed at Snow. It was one of those crashes where everyone just kind of goes quiet. No "GET UP!" or "RUN!" from the crowd. Just "Uhhh, don't move." His head and neck slammed into a tree.

mfrdhracer

Chimp
Feb 19, 2005
Vermont
JRogers said:
This stinks. Hannah is one of my favorite riders; I really wanted to see him at 100% for the Worlds. I was about 5 feet away when he crashed at Snow. It was one of those crashes where everyone just kind of goes quiet. No "GET UP!" or "RUN!" from the crowd. Just "Uhhh, don't move." His head and neck slammed into a tree.
Check your PMS