Quantcast

Micky D's is taking on Starbucks

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think McD's new "McCafe" coffee still sucks.

But then, I don't like Starbucks coffee much better either.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Could it be possible for them to take each other out?

If I have to buy coffee other than what I make, it's either from our LBS/Coffee Bar or Dunkin' Donuts.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I actually stop for mcd's coffee on the way to work a couple times a week. it's better than the horse piss at work and it's on the way so the convenience factor is there...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The best coffee places are the independent places. Tasty and usually cheaper.
Those are few and far between here. Portland used to be the land of awesome coffee, but most of the real good ones have been bought out.

Stumptown is still kicking. Also from down south, Dutch Brothers has made a huge push north and is very awesome.

My personal favorite was Coffee People and they got absorbed.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Also from down south, Dutch Brothers has made a huge push north and is very awesome.
Aside from the fact that DB has got to be either part of:

a) the young republicans mafia

or

b) a cult

There's a dutch bros walk in cafe in Corvallis and it's pretty much choice A. It reminds me of these people from the movie best in show:

P.S. I liked coffee people too. Unfortunately, Starbucks opened up across the street and bye bye coffee people.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have a 150 dollar Krups Espresso machine in the office and get my beans from some hippie in Willimas Lake, BC. Great cappuccino and at no where near the cost of all the companies mentioned.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Consumer Report ranks Micky D's "regular" coffee much better then overpriced Starbucks
For all the fat, middle aged real estate hair, black pant wearing hens that clog up every single starbucks ordering their liquid snickers, they still make somewhat 'decent' coffee.

Heating up folgers (once was a coffee bean) granules to 10000 deg C still doesn't make good coffee. Sorry mickeyD

And yeah......peets is my crack.

But this quote is priceless

“If you want a cup of coffee in under 15 minutes do you go to Starbucks?”

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Aside from the fact that DB has got to be either part of:

a) the young republicans mafia

or

b) a cult

There's a dutch bros walk in cafe in Corvallis and it's pretty much choice A. It reminds me of these people from the movie best in show:

P.S. I liked coffee people too. Unfortunately, Starbucks opened up across the street and bye bye coffee people.
They did that everywhere, it's horrible. The rumor I heard from a friend who worked in the Coffee People office was Starbucks bought out Coffee People because they had exclusive rights at PDX airport. Otherwise they would have just straight run them out of town the way they do elsewhere.

My wife used to work at Tee Time Coffee Shop in Grants Pass right down the street from the first Dutch Brothers drive through. They used to come in for breakfast every morning before opening up. She was talking to one of the brothers a few years ago and he said the other brother had gotten sick, so they decided to franchise. They have been doing well and I give them some business to support the local folks. They opened a drive through 2 blocks from my house, so it's easy too.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Sounds like you could use a day off.
Probably. I am running off of very little sleep and too much caffiene today though. I drank this stuff called Aqua joe, or H2joe, or water joe or something like that today and it was too much. I'm feeling kind of edgy.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You guys should get a coffee pot. It would pay for itself in about a week for what S***bucks or whatever trendy little pisswater shack you visit in your gay tight jeans and thick rimmed black glasses charges you. Want a quality brew? Get some dunkin donuts! Comin' to a store near you for your percolater at home.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
You guys should get a coffee pot. It would pay for itself in about a week for what S***bucks or whatever trendy little pisswater shack you visit in your gay tight jeans and thick rimmed black glasses charges you. Want a quality brew? Get some dunkin donuts! Comin' to a store near you for your percolater at home.
I think Dunkin Donuts coffee sucks at life. Can do alot better if you know what to get from the local supermarket.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Get some dunkin donuts! Comin' to a store near you for your percolater at home.
I brew my own coffee 98% of the time and I have enough Dunkin' Donuts coffee samplers to last me all year (I think). It's very good coffee, but I wouldn't pay for it. My wife works for a marketing firm that did some promos for it, so I got what they didn't give away.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Shoot me your number and I'll call you on my pink phone while I am getting my Caffe' Latte. :busted:

LeRoy

Monkey
Apr 11, 2002
Wellington - NZ
In the coffee war game... Canada's got a blessing with Tim Horton's. Buck-fifty gets to a giant cup of no-nonsense joe and they serve it to you and have you out the door in seconds. I miss it.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
I like starbucks, but only buy their black coffee, none of that fruity stuff.

Coffee is personal. I like theirs because I prefer a darker roast, like an italian or french espresso.

Half of the problem with McD is that 80% of the time people are buying starbucks is not because of the taste but because of the cachet of the name. It's a social thing. There is nothing "cool" about McD, no matter what the coffee tastes like.

Tim horton's has good simple coffee, I have it when I am in canada.