Quantcast

Micro Brew vs. Mass-Production Beer

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So lately I've been drinking Magic Hat #9 instead of my normal Budweiser for parties and such, and I was just wondering if you guys think its worth it to get good beer when cheap beer will still do the trick. Where I am a 6-pack of Magic Hat (favorite brewery ever) is about the same as a 12-pack of most mass produced beers (in bottles) and I'm not sure its worth spending all that extra money for good beer compared to the piss water factory-made beer. I know that any small-batch beer is going to be better but is it worth it if im just trying to get sh!tfaced?:headbang:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
piss beer = 3.5 %

craft IPA = ~7 %

So every IPA is like drinking 2 of the piss water. Every 6 pack is like a 12 pack! your not saving any money by buying trash, just depriving yourself of a tasty beverage

but this magic hat is only 4.6%. Not the same as your average IPA. If your just trying to get drunk why not cut to the chase and drink everclear?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Gotta agree with above. I don't mind cheap whiskey (or get horrendous hangovers at the spry age of 22), so if my goal is to get hammered...Ancient Age it is.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
piss beer = 3.5 %

craft IPA = ~7 %

So every IPA is like drinking 2 of the piss water. Every 6 pack is like a 12 pack! your not saving any money by buying trash, just depriving yourself of a tasty beverage

but this magic hat is only 4.6%. Not the same as your average IPA. If your just trying to get drunk why not cut to the chase and drink everclear?
This is wise advice. If its money thats keeping you from the quality beer start off with the good stuff, after the first 4 or 5 it all starts tasting the same imo.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm all about kicking a night off with something good, then letting it slide from there. Example. Tonight was Avery The Czar, followed by a DFH 90 min, then a lot of keystone. I'm wasted. Good beer is better. Just recognize when you can't tell the difference anymore.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Gotta agree with above. I don't mind cheap whiskey (or get horrendous hangovers at the spry age of 22), so if my goal is to get hammered...Ancient Age it is.
when the year is over.....i'm expanding my horizons....

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
Since discovering Fat Tire Ale, it has become my beer of choice, so anytime you come over, there is a Fat Tire Ale chilling in the fridge. I never did understand the PBR thing.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
The only way I could justify drinking that piss over a Magic Hat is if I were to drink and get wasted every night. If you're only drinking socially, spend the extra money.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
First, for you guys suggesting IPA, i drink it on occasion, my favorite is Sweetwater IPA.

And yes I am drinking to get drunk but I like to enjoy the process and not have the sh!ts the next morning. :thumb: I hate whiskey but I will drink rum when I have the extra money because my favorite (captain morgan's spiced rum) is $25/fifth $33/handle here.

And whoever said everclear NO. Everclear is the main cause of nights that I don't remember, mornings waking up in strange places, and all out confusion the next day.:twitch:

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Whoa. I think your problem starts with the assumption that MH#9 is good beer...
exactly, it sounds like you're just starting to experience with some quality beers and you just happened to stumble on to Magic Hat. There are hundreds of other quality beers as well that would make Magic Hat seem like sh*t water.

Speaking of craft vs mass production, ( I hate to even mention this but ) have you tried the new " Bud Lite Wheat" at all? They're giving you that nice wheat beer taste in a greedy American bottle. bastards!!!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I drank a Hamms the other day afte digging for 3 hous. That beer was so damm good.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
craft IPA = ~100% terrible

So every IPA is like drinking 2 of toilet water. Every 6 pack is like barium enema! your not saving any money by buying IPA, just depriving your toilet of a clog remover!
seriously? IPA tastes like paint thinner and it only serves as a dick measuring contest between "crap" brewers to see who can throw more hops in a bottle, not who can make a well balanced beer with depth of flavor. If i want to eat hops, I'll go buy some, or just rub my tongue on some sandpaper. I don't need to have some retard stuff a bottle with it and then every middle class white boy jerk off to it nightly while calling it good ("Hey bro, try this 120 minute IPA, it tastes like tree bark and it burned a hole in the floor, but it's 9%abv and it's got more hops than germany and the color matches the stain on my flat billed hat")

I agree with most folks that you start off with the good and end with the cheap, unless you're just having a few, in which you can just drink good beer from the start. It's all about your investment vs. return...if you're doing a caserace, don't buy sam/harpoon/brooklyn etc. If you're sipping on a few, with dinner or whatever, pick up a nice ommegang or delerium or long trail or whatever. **** beer has it's place, and that's usually frat parties or beer pong tables.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
yea well, most microbrews won't give you diarrhea like Bud or PBR
Sam Adams Black Lager will fvck your insides up. Bad. My roommate and I (both Red Sox fans) split a 6er of it over a Sox game a while back. I was on the throne for about a week straight after that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sam Adams Black Lager will fvck your insides up. Bad. My roommate and I (both Red Sox fans) split a 6er of it over a Sox game a while back. I was on the throne for about a week straight after that.
Never had an issue with it (granted I've only had it once). Might have been something you ate? Or maybe a bad batch?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
seriously? IPA tastes like paint thinner and it only serves as a dick measuring contest between "crap" brewers to see who can throw more hops in a bottle, not who can make a well balanced beer with depth of flavor. If i want to eat hops, I'll go buy some, or just rub my tongue on some sandpaper. I don't need to have some retard stuff a bottle with it and then every middle class white boy jerk off to it nightly while calling it good ("Hey bro, try this 120 minute IPA, it tastes like tree bark and it burned a hole in the floor, but it's 9%abv and it's got more hops than germany and the color matches the stain on my flat billed hat")

I agree with most folks that you start off with the good and end with the cheap, unless you're just having a few, in which you can just drink good beer from the start. It's all about your investment vs. return...if you're doing a caserace, don't buy sam/harpoon/brooklyn etc. If you're sipping on a few, with dinner or whatever, pick up a nice ommegang or delerium or long trail or whatever. **** beer has it's place, and that's usually frat parties or beer pong tables.
:disgust1: the part about the flat bill hat was funny though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

:facepalm: where to start...

if that's your opinion of IPA's, then I really don't think you have tried a proper, balanced IPA.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

LOL. So much hatred. I've had some tasty IPA's before. Granted, I haven't had a drink of any booze in over 4 years. Maybe I shouldn't even comment on this page. fwiw, if your just trying to get drunk who cares about the taste anyways? why all the hate?

For the original poster- The everclear comment was a joke about getting drunk cheap. I took a triple shot once, coughed most of it out my nose, puked the rest out 10 seconds later, and STILL caught a buzz.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Personally, I dont like IPA's, too much on the hops side. too many of them do taste like alot of different flavors just jammed together witht he hope itll come out of ok.

Personally, I like browns, Reds, and Pales......

Pilsners have there place thats for sure... usually a frat party, or a large banquet which your supplying the beer....<makes for a cheap keg>

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
magic hat and sam adams are both pretty much mass-produced pisswater beer at this point. They water down the taste of their beer so it appeals to a wider audience. Try anything by oskar blues, stone, dogfish head, flying dog, or victory for something MUCH better. Right now I've been loving Flying dog's "raging bitch" and Stones "oaked arrogant bastard"

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Mass produced beer is crap, haha. The only ones I like are Arrogant Bastard, Long Hammer (I think thats it) IPA and Alaska IPA....if I'm playing beer pong or drinking games I'll just drink something cheap like Coors (from CO originally so I have to, lol).

Otherwise, I walk or drive down to my favorite place for "fresh" beer. The Downtown Brewing Company (really in uptown SB but whatever). If it's Tuesday I'll get their locally brewed pints for $2, and if not....get a growler. Sorry, but there's just a certain taste you get out of beer at a bar/restaurant that brews their own beer that you can't get out of something caned or bottled.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
magic hat and sam adams are both pretty much mass-produced pisswater beer at this point. They water down the taste of their beer so it appeals to a wider audience. Try anything by oskar blues, stone, dogfish head, flying dog, or victory for something MUCH better. Right now I've been loving Flying dog's "raging bitch" and Stones "oaked arrogant bastard"
Stone IPA is AMAZING!
Funny to think that I used to HATE beer and would literally play beer pong with chasers. Now, all I like to drink are IPAs and anything with a really really really strong flavor.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Mass produced beer is crap, haha. The only ones I like are Arrogant Bastard, Long Hammer (I think thats it) IPA and Alaska IPA....if I'm playing beer pong or drinking games I'll just drink something cheap like Coors (from CO originally so I have to, lol).

Otherwise, I walk or drive down to my favorite place for "fresh" beer. The Downtown Brewing Company (really in uptown SB but whatever). If it's Tuesday I'll get their locally brewed pints for $2, and if not....get a growler. Sorry, but there's just a certain taste you get out of beer at a bar/restaurant that brews their own beer that you can't get out of something caned or bottled.
YOu can keep the AB ale.... I cant stand that stuff.....I thinks its def a love or hate brew.

But I am def with you on the note of getting a real fresh brew..... There is a brewery litterally a block from my house. Nice BBQ resuraunt, and they Brew on site...... ALways good beer to be had

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I say good beer all night. I can taste it no matter how much I've had. A personal favorite is New Beligum Trippel, its rad. If your just getting drunk go with good beer and a shot of some thing quality with every beer. Since no one has mentioned it I think Petes Wicked Strawberry Blonde with Yager is pretty good; wouldn't want to do that combo all night but good for a few.