Quantcast

Microlube to Semi Bath conversion for Manitou Black

Whitz End

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Jumanji
Hello all,
I have here on my bicycle, a 2003 Manitou Black Comp fork (80mm/100mm) Now, being the second lowest model Black, it does not feature Semi-bath lubrication like its bigger brothers, instead, gets the microlube treatment via the ports behind the arch. It also runs those dust boots. Now, I was wondering, if the lowers were successfully sealed off, could I say convert this said fork to a semi-bath type? I was considering purchasing the Enduro seal kit for the fork and noticed that they have a seal kit which also included oil seals...if the threads holding the lowers on were fully sealed (say, plumbers teflon tape), the Enduro seals fitted and by using some 'top stuff' fork oil, it should work, right? Anyone have anything to add? Am I wasting my time?

The other thing was...what are the chances the microlube ports will leak if I did this?

Thanks in advance...

viper2pt0

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Somers, NY
Sorry I can't help you out on this...but I have the same fork I got off a buddy for free, have you found any rebuild info on it anywhere? I think with a rebuild it would be good to go.

Whitz End

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Jumanji
Oh rebuilding it is very easy. If rebuild it nice and regularly, it stays a very nice fork. Alas, I often come across interesting weather and the seals fitted on the fork arnt all that good (like I said, the next model got the Semi-bath/Evil Genius Seals)...

This is the best rebuild instructions I could find...its for a different model though but the procedure is very similar.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id16.html

My fork has the travel adjustment feature at the bottom...just take the cap off and underneath is a crush washer with this off looking clamp thing. Just squeeze it and it comes off. Under that is the bolt that fastens the lowers to the uppers. Once thats off, your away. It is this bolt I plan on sealing.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
After you torque it down to spec, back it out again then put a nylon crush washer or a metal cap washer and O-ring down under the bolt to seal it off.
This was the procedure for the rockshox Judy factory oil bath conversion almost a decade ago.
You shouldn't have to worry about leaking from the microlube ports.
Remember, your damping isn't going to be open bath, just your lubrication, so turn your fork upside down for a few seconds before your ride to splash oil onto the bushings and seals.
Good luck.

Whitz End

Chimp
Jan 23, 2008
Jumanji
Fantastic! Thanks for that!

I emailed the guys at Enduro, just to see if the lowers would accept the oil seals...I told the guy what I planned to do and he said more or less the same thing...he thought that maybe by sealing off the microlube ports with say silicone or something would eliminate any leaks as he was not sure of how they would hold.

Thanks again!

Marcolino

Chimp
Jun 5, 2007
try it and you wont regreat it.

i also converted a manitou stance with enduro fork seals and oil bath, it became a diferent fork!!!

i also would put silicone in the microlube ports, or at least something preventing the oil coming out that way...