Quantcast

Microsoft Frontpage

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Has anybody used it?

We have a very elementary webpage for our office and it needs updating. I've only ever done very simple webpage work before but I think I could do some reading and teach myself Frontpage. The reason I'm thinking about using Frontpage is because it's the only program I own for creating/editing webpages.

PS. I'm a total noob to creating webpages.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

If you use Front Page, you can get stuck supporting the page with Front Page due to extensions and stuff that it will add to the page so you can't use anything else.

I have used BlueFish in the past (free) with great success, I am also not much of a web guy either. There are a few other free editors out there that would be better if you can find one you like.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jimmydean said:

If you use Front Page, you can get stuck supporting the page with Front Page due to extensions and stuff that it will add to the page so you can't use anything else.

I have used BlueFish in the past (free) with great success, I am also not much of a web guy either. There are a few other free editors out there that would be better if you can find one you like.
Cool thanks for the heads up.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
What I really need is a super simple program. I thought frontpage was it.
I'm looking for a "cut and paste" type program, blue fish doesn't seem to be that way.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jimmydean said:

Depends on the site really. I had to maintain a frontpage financial site(I didn't create it :p ) and I used notepad to do most of my editing.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Stosh, don't listen to the geeks. It sounds like for what you are doing Frontpage should be fine. And yes you can still alter pages later without it.

It's basically WORD for webpages. The help file is pretty good, and I can answer basic questions.

If you are somone like Transcend then yes, Frontpage would be horrible. But if you are like me and don't have the time or desire to learn HTML, JAVA, PHP, CSS, and various other acronyms then Front page is fine.

jimmydean said:
It's more likely that a permissions isue on the server would cause that problem. Extensions can be removed from the server. At work we currently have one of our little web servers with FP and Dreamweaver extensions on it. Some people use FP, some use Dreamweaver, and some hand code. No problemo.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ciaran said:
Stosh, don't listen to the geeks. It sounds like for what you are doing Frontpage should be fine. And yes you can still alter pages later without it.

It's basically WORD for webpages. The help file is pretty good, and I can answer basic questions.

If you are somone like Transcend then yes, Frontpage would be horrible. But if you are like me and don't have the time or desire to learn HTML, JAVA, PHP, CSS, and various other acronyms then Front page is fine.
Thats kind of the feeling I'm getting as well.

Thanks for the advice. Was your webpage done with Frontpage?
I really need to thank the guy who gave it to me too!!!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I used Mozilla Composer, and I like it. But I am the kind of person who will use VI to touch up his code...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Stosh do you have Photoshop? if you do, and it has imageready, that is a good way to go!!! I usually teach my students how to compose in PS, and use ImageReady fo the slices and then the more advanced kids also use DreamWeaver.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
brungeman said:
Stosh do you have Photoshop? if you do, and it has imageready, that is a good way to go!!! I usually teach my students how to compose in PS, and use ImageReady fo the slices and then the more advanced kids also use DreamWeaver.
I wish I learned all that stuff. :(

I want to go back to college to learn it.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stosh said:
I wish I learned all that stuff. :(

I want to go back to college to learn it.
you don't have to go to college to learn it, if you have PS, and you want to learn how to do it, I can give you a web page tutorial that would get you started.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
brungeman said:
you don't have to go to college to learn it, if you have PS, and you want to learn how to do it, I can give you a web page tutorial that would get you started.
I have PS 6 I think.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I would highly recommend dreamweaver for what you want to do. Not free, but more then worth it's price. Grab their demo and give it a go www.macromedia.com (now an adobe company).

And what Ciaran said, I use Text Wrangler (fancy notepad for mac) because the code DW puts out is ugly. Not as ugly as front page though...i shudder at the thought of using that program.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stosh said:
I have PS 6 I think.
Ok the best website I have used with the kids is here

now if you have questions PM me or just post again, but you can look through the tutorial, and see the design portion of it, and look at the later pages for the technical stuff of how to do the linking of pages.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Transcend said:
I would highly recommend dreamweaver for what you want to do. Not free, but mroe then worth it's price. Grab their demo and give it a go www.macromedia.com (now an adobe company).

And what Ciaran said, I use Text Wrangler (fancy notepad for mac) because the code DW puts out is ugly. NOt as ugly as front page though...i shudder at the thought of using that program.
I am in agreement with you on DW! you can use it as its own designer/compiler or as the compiler for photoshop designed stuff, to make all the links and tables work. It is worth its price. and if you know someone in college or grad school you can get a smoking hot deal from gradware.com

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
brungeman said:
I am in agreement with you on DW! you can use it as its own designer/compiler or as the compiler for photoshop designed stuff, to make all the links and tables work. It is worth its price. and if you know someone in college or grad school you can get a smoking hot deal from gradware.com
Only no one should be building stuff in photoshop and exporting in tables. Heck, no one should be using tables to present content.

Use DW, the built in CSS editor and use backgrounds, not tabular layout please. :)

Dreamweaver works wonders for people new to this however, as they can check out the code and learn as they go.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Transcend said:
Dreamweaver works wonders for people new to this however, as they can check out the code and learn as they go.
That is one of the benefits of a WYSIWYG editor like DW or FP. I have learned some code this way. Not enough to create a whole page but enough to help me understand how they work.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Keep in mind, the basic concepts of HTML are used in our posts. For example the uses of tags, like quote or bold, is similiar to html, except it uses <> and RM uses []

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have Frontpage (needed it for a Graduate class) and it's really easy to use...just like Ciaran said it's word for webpages. PM me if you have any specific questions. I think I have a good manual somewhere too...just have to dust it off ;)