Quantcast

Microsoft preparing patch for Windows flaw :shocker:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's a good thing they let me know just how long I have to violate someones computer...
Shocking News!!!

Microsoft preparing patch for Windows flaw

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

REDMOND, Wash. -- Microsoft Corp. said Tuesday it has created a patch for a flaw that could let someone take control of another person's computer, but the fix is still being tested and isn't expected to be released until next week.

The Redmond software giant confirmed late last week that some people were using the previously unknown vulnerability to attempt to attack computers running Microsoft's Windows operating system. But the company said Tuesday that its research indicates the attacks are not widespread.

To be attacked, a user would have to visit a malicious Web site through Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser or be persuaded to open an e-mail attachment. The flaw affects versions of Windows desktop and server software dating back to Windows 98.

Microsoft said it hopes to release the patch on Jan. 10 as part of its regular monthly security updates.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think :shocker: should be a smilie.

Only probably not the kind of smilie you intended in the title of this thread.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There's an even better flaw right now being exploited. EVERY version of windows is affected - it involves any image file off the web or elsewhere being infected. No need to run any type of application, just view an image.

Currently no patch from MS.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
I think :shocker: should be a smilie.

Only probably not the kind of smilie you intended in the title of this thread.
Sorry, the :shocker: should have been flagged as "sarcasm" :D

I just think it's funny that they not only publish the flaw, but then they put a timetable on the fix!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
splat said:
Glad I use fedora
I still have a headache from trying to get that to work last night.

It no play well with new system, make H8R feel like caveman.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
H8R said:
I still have a headache from trying to get that to work last night.

It no play well with new system, make H8R feel like caveman.
Try using Vista Beta 2! Man, what a steaming pile...

You would think that they could get hardware detection figured out by now. It took me 20 minutes just to figure out how to intall a network card! I never did figure it out in the new UI, I had to use "Classic View". My heart goes out to the poor sucks who will be force upgraded.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jimmydean said:
Try using Vista Beta 2! Man, what a steaming pile...
Argh.

I was considering giving Vista a test run, since I have plenty of CPU power & RAM now. How's the stability?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
binary visions said:
Argh.

I was considering giving Vista a test run, since I have plenty of CPU power & RAM now. How's the stability?
I installed it first thing this morning an it's done nothing but piss me off. IE 7 doesn't have a stop button! So while going to developer.intel.com trying to download the graphics driver for my motherboard, half way through loading the page, it hangs, then says "Page can't be displayed". There is no way to stop it from loading to prevent it from this error because I know the page loads and I know the driver is there!

So I have to pull the files down on my laptop, then burn a cd (my jump drive is at home), then install the files from there.

Hardware detection sucks ass, the new UI is worthless, and it's dog slow (I'm running an Intel D945GNTLKR with 1gb of ram, 3.2GHz P4HT, and all SATA drives)!

It runs, but that's about all I can say. If I ever get the drivers installed, I might get some work out of it. Then again I've only been at it for about 6 hours :rolleyes:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would wait. It would hang, then refresh the desktop closing everything in the process.

The biggest gripe I have is the moving of windows. Sometimes you can drag, then other times it was a single click to maximize rather than move. If you click and hold on the title bar, it would maximize rather than drag.

Piss me off, it has a LONG way to go. But if I know Micro$oft, they will ship any day now...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jimmydean said:
Piss me off, it has a LONG way to go. But if I know Micro$oft, they will ship any day now...
You sure most of these aren't user settings? There's a setting in XP that allows you to turn all the garbage off and put it back to "classic" mode...