Quantcast

Microsoft Surface

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So tech monkeys what do you think? I never understood regular tablets because you could not work on them and they were silly gadgets for me but with a keyboard in my opinion it is a great alternative to netbooks. You could take it on the road with you. So far I need mostly office for my work so it would work and it seems portable enough.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx

Really cool. Can't wait to get one. However, I'm puzzled as to why the keyboard is bluetooth. This would drain the battery and require a battery in the keyboard. Why not have a connection?

I'm also looking forward to a Nook with Windows Phone 8 for less than $200. Maybe they could make the cover a keyboard and an e-ink display.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Whoa. I approve. It definitely starts blurring the line between laptops and tablets, allowing a full keyboard when you need it (and probably a separate bluetooth mouse) and it's just a tablet when you don't.

It'd probably be utterly perfect for my wife who wants a tablet (primarily for surfing the web, checking work email, playing videos, etc) but feels the need for a keyboard since typing on pure tablets could be a pain in the ass.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I love the form factor with the keyboards.

The reason the keyboards are bluetooth is to maintain that easy zero-connections magnetic attachment point, like the Apple Smart Covers (which are fuggin' BRILLIANT, and I am so happy someone else is doing this).

For portable computing, I don't need much, so a laptop is really overkill and an ultrabook is very appealing. This is the upsides of an ultrabook - portability and hopefully battery life - but with a cover I can disconnect when I want it to be a tablet.

This could actually cause me to cough up the bucks for a retail tablet, which hasn't been the case so far.

legalize

Chimp
May 15, 2012
NYC
I wrote a little something about this thing on my site... Basically, it will probably cost way too much and still be a tablet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, you could also say it will "probably" have bad battery life, or poor performance, or it'll get too hot, or whatever.

Without knowing, though, it's just speculative. Microsoft did a stellar job with the Xbox, so let's not pretend they can't produce a good piece of hardware and keep the price low.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If it is good but expensive it will still sell, Panasonic and Fujitsu have been doing OK with tablets aimed at the business market and they are seriously dear for what they are but people buy them because they are reliable.

I wonder who they are getting to build these things for them.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I said the ipad was a useless gizmo, until I borrowed one for a job interview to show my portfolio on. Now I use it constantly the form factor and function are amazing.
And you cant show that on a laptop? I agree they are kinda good as a portable screen thingy but the lack of keyboard, the need to wait for an app for everything (sometimes it takes very long) and no flash support kills it for me. For that price I couldnt justify it.

@Legalize - there are 2 os options. Windows RT (tablet) and Windows 8 which acording to ms should be a full blown win.

If I can instal programs like a normal person, use it as a tablet, have flash and have a keyboard it is the perfect device.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
the real winner is the implementation of a full speed USB 2.0 port. Some folks were moaning at the lack of LTE/GSM/3G/cellular connectivitiy, but the that single USB port saves em. granted, it doesnt have the convenience of built-in functionality, but i wouldn't be surprised if that comes in Surface 1.1.

In terms of form factors, nothing new: it's like the iPad with teh convenience of a desktop replacement like the Asus EEE Transformer.
The big thing rather for microsoft is the kernel: write once, run everywhere.
One kernel across their whole OS product portfolio. Sure took their time getting there.

I was in the market for an android tablet, but after the Surface announcement, I'm holding off for the next few months till release date. Gonna be pricey no doubt, but i'm really hoping that microsoft needs to pull finger and subsidise all Windows 8 based products (phone, but esp the Surface), the same way they sponsored the price of the Xbox. Look where the xbox is now after many naysayers said it didnt stand a chance in the then existing market dominated by Nintendo and Sony. Price is going to be crucial when what Microsoft is really offering is not that different functionally from what's currently available. Tile based UI? Please, someone, quickly write an skin app. Thanks!
suck it up micro$oft: make that price juicy!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I really hope they do because initial predictions are very close to the price of an ipad and that makes no sense. Look at kindle fire and how much market they grabbed with good prices.