Quantcast

Mid Fork Snoqualmie - Great News!

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
The appeals are over, no one sued, and after 9 years of effort, the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Trail is again open to mountain bikes.

Here's the scoop: Mountain bike access will be from roughly April 15th to November 1st, depending on trail conditions. Mountain bike use will be restricted to odd numbered calendar days only.

This is the start of a 3 year test period, after which the odd-day mountain bike opening will be evaluated. If the test period goes well, the trail may then be permanently open to bikes on odd-days during the dry season. As part of this test period, BBTC will be doing trail maintenance, educating users, and have volunteer mountain bike patrols on the trail to educate users.

I want to give a , huge thanks to Brian Jones and the other BBTC volunteers who negotiated this deal and sat through almost 10 years of discussions to get this trail reopened. We also want to thank Middle Fork Outdoor Recreation Coalition for their contributions to this process.

The success of opening this trial to mountain bikers is up to all of us. Please stop to chat with hikers, be extra cool to everyone you meet on the trail, pick up litter, and make sure everyone you know respects the trail closures.

Help BBTC go to bat for mountain bikers and get more results like this. Join BBTC today!

For the history and more information about Middle Fork Snoqualmie, click here: http://bbtc.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=23

Thanks!
Justin Vander Pol
Executive Director
Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC)
justin@bbtc.org
206-524-2900

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
juice said:
The success of opening this trial to mountain bikers is up to all of us. Please stop to chat with hikers, be extra cool to everyone you meet on the trail, pick up litter, and make sure everyone you know respects the trail closures.
Definately.... take the high road, i anticipate alot of attitude and flack from hikers while on this trail. Being an ambassador and being above that will go a loooong way in helping mt. bikers get more access to trails. Not just XC.
We got one back, this is an awesome victory.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Just shows that from time to time the pain pays off. Riding it Saturday and interested in seeing how it rides. Have not been there in a couple years. Not since the BBTC/WTA Trail Collage where the bikers did sum "edumicatin'" of the hikers as to what we liked.

The tide's turning. I can feel it.

I'm tellin' y'all, legal freeride is on the horizon...

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Borneo said:
I'm tellin' y'all, legal freeride is on the horizon...
I'm working my ass off on this... not just because its my job, but because I NEED legal places for freeride around here. Gas to Canada is killing me.

jvp

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
Didn't see many hikers on Saturday and the ones I did see were real nice. Didn't see any horses, horse trailers and only a few piles of turds.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Dave_Schuldt said:
Didn't see many hikers on Saturday and the ones I did see were real nice. Didn't see any horses, horse trailers and only a few piles of turds.
Ditto on that for my experience today. i was very happy to not run into anyone with a bad attitude out on the trail.
Really an awesome time to be had out there, just a neat trail to be enjoyed by the many mt. bikers in King County. Finally a true forest ride besides Tiger Mountain once again available for us.
23 riders plus many more outside of our group enjoying a great outdoor experience.

FatalExposure

Monkey
Sep 2, 2005
wow, I bet I've poached that trail 5-6 times since 2002. I never even realized it was closed. I rode right past some forest service guys who waved at me in 2003.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
FatalExposure said:
wow, I bet I've poached that trail 5-6 times since 2002. I never even realized it was closed. I rode right past some forest service guys who waved at me in 2003.
Well now you can ride it in a civilized pro-social manner. Don't worry we won't tell anyone, therefore damaging any "street cred" you might have accrued from past trangressions, albeit unintentional.

2 posts.... Welcome to the monkey. :dancing:

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Just a head's up - a buddy of mine was out there on Friday with another guy and their car got broken into... got his wallet and a backpack stolen. Keep your eyes open out there.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Happy said:
Just a head's up - a buddy of mine was out there on Friday with another guy and their car got broken into... got his wallet and a backpack stolen. Keep your eyes open out there.
weak.... :angry:

spin

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
For those who have rode the MF already, has the upper trail been cleared? I know the lower part from Dingford to MF trailhead is usually is maintained and gets cleared of blowdowns.

Thanks

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Depends on your definition of "cleared". The switchbacks down to the bridge were weed whacked and are clear. The lower 1/2 mile is "ridable" to the Hot Springs junction. No logs that I can remember.