Quantcast

>>> Mid Fvckitall gee em tee<<<

gonefirefightin

free wieners
anytime i have tried airbnb....the price they quote on the calendar never matches the price at checkout...

from now on as far as glacier national park is concerned...just going to stay at the belton chalet...right across from the entrance...quiet as shit...
they basically have been boosting fees in three different spots on the invoices,

The cleaning fee of course has been getting out of hand but not why you think, Local managers have been struggling to find and keep reliable cleaning contractors and as a result, have been using bigger cleaning companies than relying on local housekeepers since the local housekeepers make more with private clients they choose not to work for Airbnb hosts and management firms.

The "service fee" has been slowly climbing for quite a while and you tend to get a run around as to what it actually goes to and I have seen them swing from 20-80 bucks at times

Lastly, the Occupancy fees is something I just don't understand and neither do they apparently, they also include taxes in this category but anyone with a calculator and see what the add ons are for their area.

After you get to the end there is often an additional 200-300 bucks on the contract with all things added up and they can still tack on an additional fee even after the checkout.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:wave:

Day two of the conference, coffee all the things!

Liver pokes and tests have revealed that the orange cat doesn't have cancer. Looks like it might be just an inflamed liver. Which is good, but just have to get him healthy again or find what happened. He meowed this morning when I stuck my head in the crate, first time he's sounded grouchy in a while, so looking good.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
its been cool enough i've only been running the furnace to keep it from getting chilly. tonight i might have to start a fire.
we turned on the heat a while ago. I don't need to measure my dick by making my family cold. This isn't directed at you so much as other new englanders who are #sobrave. It was 37* this morning and felt like 30. My days of bike commuting may be short, though I need to go through my winter hat, gloves, and shoe warmers before I give up entirely.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We have the heat going occasionally too. The temps here have been down to almost 0c recently.

And it doesn't help that we live in an old cottage, which has no basement or crawlspace. All the HVAC vents are in the ceiling, which is sub optimal for keeping the toes thawed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think @Toshi's VRBO/AirBnB/MillionDollarRental has security cams installed...

:popcorn:
No cams. Was going to put one up aimed outwards from a window to check when the construction dumpster finally was removed but it disappeared before I installed it.
we turned on the heat a while ago. I don't need to measure my dick by making my family cold. This isn't directed at you so much as other new englanders who are #sobrave. It was 37* this morning and felt like 30. My days of bike commuting may be short, though I need to go through my winter hat, gloves, and shoe warmers before I give up entirely.
We finally switched over from AC a week or three ago. :D Now we're in this minimal-heat mostly just coasting along on insulation state.

/me rode with his 3.75 year old to her preschool. Still a bit unnerving but she's doing well. Lots of "stay to the right!" refrains.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:stupid:

I set the comfort range and let it do its thing. Heat when I need it, AC when I need it. No sense in diddling with it all the time if I don't have to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:stupid:

I set the comfort range and let it do its thing. Heat when I need it, AC when I need it. No sense in diddling with it all the time if I don't have to.
when we had our HVAC system replaced in July we asked for a wifi thermostat. it has been pretty sweet so far. there were a few times in the last few weeks i've woken up for my 5am piss and didn't have to go downstairs to turn the heat on. and its way easier to program timing and such. back in august i was even able to set it to be back to normal temps the night before we drove home from vacation.

when we had our HVAC system replaced in July we asked for a wifi thermostat. it has been pretty sweet so far. there were a few times in the last few weeks i've woken up for my 5am piss and didn't have to go downstairs to turn the heat on. and its way easier to program timing and such. back in august i was even able to set it to be back to normal temps the night before we drove home from vacation.
Nice if you want hackers to get into your home networking stuff.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Nice if you want hackers to get into your home networking stuff.
Not that I want to encourage such things, but it feels like if they want in, they're getting in. Little I can do about it, beyond having a strong wifi password and security setting. Same with CCs being stolen, it's not a matter of if but when.

Then again, I'm no IT pro, so network security isn't my strong suit.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not that I want to encourage such things, but it feels like if they want in, they're getting in. Little I can do about it, beyond having a strong wifi password and security setting. Same with CCs being stolen, it's not a matter of if but when.

Then again, I'm no IT pro, so network security isn't my strong suit.
generally most appliances don't require wifi.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
No cams. Was going to put one up aimed outwards from a window to check when the construction dumpster finally was removed but it disappeared before I installed it.

We finally switched over from AC a week or three ago. :D Now we're in this minimal-heat mostly just coasting along on insulation state.

/me rode with his 3.75 year old to her preschool. Still a bit unnerving but she's doing well. Lots of "stay to the right!" refrains.

awesome.
man, I'd have high-vis, flashy lights all OVER that kid if commuting becomes a regular thing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
awesome.
man, I'd have high-vis, flashy lights all OVER that kid if commuting becomes a regular thing.
When we're not on the nice neighborhood multiuse paths and instead on the painted on bike lane areas then she has me as her shield, hanging to the left and back of her with my high viz panniers and orange shell so as to be maximally visible to drivers.

The black fabric is also retroreflective, not just the silver patch.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
says the guy that has to write all his passwords down.
Pretty sure that's someone else you're thinking about. :confused:

I understand the sentiment, but having online devices in your house that you can get to from OUTSIDE your network opens up a whole new can of worms...

while i can't speak for all devices, the version we have requires 2SA
The threat environment is dynamic. What's supposed to be secure today might well not be in the short or long term future. Most if not all manufacturers of this household stuff do not keep up with the as the threats evolve and don't revise and update firmware. An attack on device A can propagate to B and C, which could include your home networking equipment.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The threat environment is dynamic. What's supposed to be secure today might well not be in the short or long term future. Most if not all manufacturers of this household stuff do not keep up with the as the threats evolve and don't revise and update firmware. An attack on device A can propagate to B and C, which could include your home networking equipment.
How widespread are these attacks and what are they after? Ransomware attack? Stealing financial information/account access? Using your equipment to hide their tracks? D) all of the above?

Obviously it's a thing, but what are the actual chances of it happening to any one particular individual?

Seems like everything in life is only getting more connected, keeping it all safe feels like a pretty daunting task.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How widespread are these attacks and what are they after? Ransomware attack? Stealing financial information/account access? Using your equipment to hide their tracks? D) all of the above?

Obviously it's a thing, but what are the actual chances of it happening to any one particular individual?

Seems like everything in life is only getting more connected, keeping it all safe feels like a pretty daunting task.
LiVe In FeAr TeChNoLoGy Is ThE DeViL

They are very widespread. Some set up household devices to perform denial of service attacks, some are capable of burrowing into computers and phones, and using them to collect financial information, passwords, and so forth. The connected environment is currently unsafe.

Look at https://www.schneier.com/ if you want some current examples.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
IBM MQ is a pain in the undercarriage.

Thank you for coming to my MonkeyTalk.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

It *is* a daunting task, and one that many "Internet of Things" manufacturers seem to be woefully inadequate in...

I'd say that the chances of something bad happening are low on an individual level, but the risk of something like a ransomware attack on your home network, for most people, would be pretty severe, esp since most people to fuck all for backups of their home stuff.

IBM MQ is a pain in the undercarriage.
MQ?

1666215050801.png

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Awfully nice of you to help your dentist to be able to buy that rumored new Yeti. The dental bike industry appreciates your commitment!
I'll just put my used/budget build on hold while the dentist enjoys the Yeti. He'll probably enjoy it more anyway. You know, after sleeping so soundly at night.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Well I just won a bunch of points. Wifey had these patterned Mikasa wine glasses that her gma gave her, back before we met. All broken and only a memory now. We were getting ice cream at a store that doubles as an antique store and they had an unopened box of them that I saw off to the side. Acquired. Tears happened.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well I just won a bunch of points. Wifey had these patterned Mikasa wine glasses that her gma gave her, back before we met. All broken and only a memory now. We were getting ice cream at a store that doubles as an antique store and they had an unopened box of them that I saw off to the side. Acquired. Tears happened.
thats actually pretty cool. total random find too.