Quantcast

Mid-top SPD's?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I have some really boney ankles and it seems I'm always hitting them on my cranks.

I've used Addidas Hematoma's in the past, and my favorite shoes EVER are the Pearl Izumi X-Alp mids... They don't make these any more and I left my pair at the top of a shuttle trail about 2 hrs from home.

So who else makes a good pair of high top or Mid-top SPD's?

I've seen these Shimano's, but that's about it:

Any other shoes that might be an option?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Been riding those Shimano shoes for about a year now with no real complaints. They breathe well, have a rigid enough toe box to deflect most hits, and are have a good balance between stiffness and compliance for off the bike excursions. Only downside I have noticed is that they tend to collect debris inside the shoe fairly easily.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sone made a very similar shoe for specialized. Loved mine. Dont know if they are still available.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006

i have these Shimano AM 50 and i like them a lot.
stiff enough for serious pedalling, still comfortable and rather sturdy. and i prefer velcro over ratchets and / or laces.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Depending on where your ankles are contacting the crank arms, Shimano DXs might work for you. I suppose they are considered "low tops", but the inside lip of the shoe is raised so that it protects the ankle bone from rubbing/banging on the cranks. I've had 3 pairs over the years and they have been great - good cleat clearance, adequate toe protection, shoe lace cover, and are OK to walk around in (but I would not consider them ideal for any extended hike-a-bikes).

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Are the Shimano's heavy like the Hematoma's?

Or are they more of a "trail" shoe?
No, the Shimano's are not as heavy as Hematoma's. They would fall into the "trail" category as the uppers are fairly flexible, not padded, and have copious sections of mesh venting. I wouldn't hesitate to take them downhilling, but if they were to be a primary downhill only shoe I'd look elsewhere.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
have you ever considered using low tops with a pair of ankle guards? I've been using the 661 ankle biters for years
I had a pair of those (may still be kicking around some where). The only issue I had with these was that if you are hike-a-biking on a off-camber, they slide around in your shoe a ton.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
-BB- - what size do you wear? I have a pair of Hematomas in good shape - I think they are size 9s - if you would use them, I could send them your way in exchange for a few bucks or parts in trade.

Feel free to PM if they'd be a good fit.

Mark