Quantcast

middle chainring as single chainring

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
are there any problems with using a normal middle chainring from a three chainrings set as single chainring on a DH bike?

i mean, beside the fact that it's easier to bend (but we have bashguards for that)

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
okay as a temporary solution, but those ramps and pins that make the chain move between chainrings easier will cause the chain to come off. you have a chainguide, right?

ArthurDH

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Italy
yeah, i'm gonna use it with an e.13 LG1

i was worried precisely about the ramps... could they affect the chain movements a lot?

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
yeah, i'm gonna use it with an e.13 LG1

i was worried precisely about the ramps... could they affect the chain movements a lot?
A smooth on the sides DH chainring without all the ramps & pins is the best bet.
I used a regular 32T with a similiar guide & it came off a few times.:disgust1:
I will never use anything but a DH ring with a guide.I would rather use a triple chainring setup to avoid the chain getting stuck in the guide.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I would agree that a DH Ring is going to be stiffer and more durable.But I dont believe that ramps and pins are going to cause the chain to come off(I have never tryed to run a ramped ring as a single).So when running a triple setup with ramped and pinned rings why dose'nt my chain come off?The ramps and pins are there to help lift the chain from a smaller ring to the ring.That is why the small or inner ring does not have ramps or pins.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
the pins grab the chain as it moves from small cog to larger cog, the ramps allow easier movement off the cog in either direction.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
It'll be fine - the only issue is that it will be slightly more prone to falling off when bouncing around but it's not the ramps or pins that'll do it, it's the lowered teeth . . .

Oh and it won't last quite as long as a plain ring as the teeth are slightly narrower where the ramps are (but this isn't why it'll fall off more).

G

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
In a pinch I have run ramped rings and not really had problems with them. Come to think of it I ran a big ring an entire season in my guide without a single problem. Now I just run DH rings though
holy crap you have a full stable of transition bikes do you really have them?

derailment over...

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
I use a triple ring XT crankset, granny removed, 38t in the middle and a bash guard on the outside with a LG-1; works really well.

Just make sure that your ring is for DH or Single Speed.