Quantcast

@@@Middle finger GMT@@@

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
1) I shaved the beard from about 2" to 1/8" to start anew. I don't like seeing my face. :grumpy:

2) Local people: if I were to play mountain biker and suffer up the climb to see if going downhill is fun, where would you recommend renting a bike from and where would you ride? I'd hit it on a weekday to avoid crowds. My 29er is all set up for commuting and I'd rather rent than buy real tires that'd outclass the rest of it.
Come down south. I'll borrow you a bike and we can suffer the Gold Camp Road climb and come down Teh Chutes.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Hmm. I shall take you all up on your offers to ride but first I'll rent a bike and get a weekday ride in just to see if I have any stomach for it any more. :D From my riding in Seattle in 2013-2014 I know I can still technically ride and make it down this or that but it's a question of whether it's fun enough to be worth the cost and time.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hmm. I shall take you all up on your offers to ride but first I'll rent a bike and get a weekday ride in just to see if I have any stomach for it any more. :D From my riding in Seattle in 2013-2014 I know I can still technically ride and make it down this or that but it's a question of whether it's fun enough to be worth the cost and time.
I hope you post your cost benefit calculation.

Just get yourself a new Dentist Radiologist bike and be done with it. Consider it a proactive step when in a few years you realize you are fat and at risk for various first world diseases. Hopefully a mountain bike now will prevent the desire to buy a tri-bike later.

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I hope you post your cost benefit calculation.
I don't enjoy autocross enough to do it these days, either. I'm just becoming a sad sack in my dotage. :D

Just get yourself a new Dentist Radiologist bike and be done with it. Consider it a proactive step when in a few years you realize you are fat and at risk for various first world diseases. Hopefully a mountain bike now will prevent the desire to buy a tri-bike later.
I already fully acknowledge that I am fat. That's no secret. Somehow my blood pressure is fine as is my pancreas. My normal weight wife has worse A1C than me (long-term glucose level indicator). Genetics.

I think renting first and testing the waters is more prudent. Cost-benefit aside there's a chance I'm just too old for this, older at heart than jbp and Shared Skittles alike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't enjoy autocross enough to do it these days, either. I'm just becoming a sad sack in my dotage. :D

I already fully acknowledge that I am fat. That's no secret. Somehow my blood pressure is fine as is my pancreas. My normal weight wife has worse A1C than me (long-term glucose level indicator). Genetics.

I think renting first and testing the waters is more prudent. Cost-benefit aside there's a chance I'm just too old for this, older at heart than jbp and Shared Skittles alike.
In your wasteful days of youth you just have yet to fear your own mortality.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Cost-benefit aside there's a chance I'm just too old for this, older at heart than jbp and Shared Skittles alike.
Um, yeah, gotta call bullshit on this on Dr. Photomat. You are in your mid 30's correct ? I didn't start racing DH until I was in my 30's. My Dad stopped riding last year officially at 77 and it was with great reluctance due to having severely impaired vision. If he could see just a wee bit better, he never would have stopped.

If you think your age now is too old for mountain biking, then you seriously need some friends outside of work collegues who are not scared to step of a curb; i.e. you are around the overly cautious too much.

And for fuck sakes, you're a Radiologist, you can afford to treat yourself to a new bike. It might just make you feel young again or at least your actual age. Also if you buy one, you will feel obligated to ride it unlike a rental which is temporary. Do it now before you really are too old.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I've raced cyclocross, cross county, trials, downhill. I've been around the block already. I'll give it another shot, though, but I'm not going to buy anything big until I'm sold on it anew.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@Toshi Ok then, if cost is an issue, then buy a bike on closeout. Ride it a few times and then decide if you wanna keep riding. You can probably get your money out of it if you don't want to keep it.

Come on dude, commit to staying young. Don't let the man keep you down.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've raced cyclocross, cross county, trials, downhill. I've been around the block already. I'll give it another shot, though, but I'm not going to buy anything big until I'm sold on it anew.
As an alternative you can spend your time watching Matlock on Amazon Prime VHS.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Since when is this a biking site? :D

Hell, I plan to be retired (or at least able to) before age 50... I just need to grow a bitchin' stache in the 1800s style of jbp.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Being made to climb to the top of Belcher might not be the best first ride out to persuade him to ride more :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Um, yeah, gotta call bullshit on this on Dr. Photomat. You are in your mid 30's correct ? I didn't start racing DH until I was in my 30's. My Dad stopped riding last year officially at 77 and it was with great reluctance due to having severely impaired vision. If he could see just a wee bit better, he never would have stopped.

If you think your age now is too old for mountain biking, then you seriously need some friends outside of work collegues who are not scared to step of a curb; i.e. you are around the overly cautious too much.

And for fuck sakes, you're a Radiologist, you can afford to treat yourself to a new bike. It might just make you feel young again or at least your actual age. Also if you buy one, you will feel obligated to ride it unlike a rental which is temporary. Do it now before you really are too old.
i'm in my early 30's and i thought i was a whiny old bitch. glad to know i'm not the biggest nancy here.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I have more hair than that South Park dude! :D

Things I'd do in retirement:

- travel
- hang out in mountains (I still do like to ski, as far as I know, although I haven't been in a while)
- play trumpet
- read books, watch movies, troll people on internet
- count my gold dubloons periodically

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
In Toshi's defense, I look at all the stuff I used to do on a bike and how I used to ride in my teens/early twenties and I can't help but feel enormously deflated. These days, if I could be even 25% as confident/skilled as I used to be, I'd be a happy guy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
In Toshi's defense, I look at all the stuff I used to do on a bike and how I used to ride in my teens/early twenties and I can't help but feel enormously deflated. These days, if I could be even 25% as confident/skilled as I used to be, I'd be a happy guy.
Ride more. You'll get back there.

I rode Dakota Ridge recently and fucking HACKED my way through it. I just need to ride more.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I was 36 I was the strongest I have been my whole life. Was still racing, eligible for 'vet' class but started racking up overall wins. Now at 42 I am significantly slower, I am pretty confident this is due to lifestyle. Past two years have been fucking miserable as far as biking is concerned. Too much stress, work, travel, food and beer, too little sleep and riding.

Although I am less willing to take risks I feel like I am a more skilled rider now. Learn new shit each year, albeit in very small increments. Unfortunately my psoriatic arthritis means that every injury I rack up will likely be a lingering pain in the ass for the rest of my life. I push the envelope less often but work to embiggen said envelope.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I'm with @Westy - I rode more often 5-6 years back but I feel like my confidence has increased as I've ridden a wider range of terrain. I'll bomb gnar/tech stuff now I wouldn't have back then, or at least at the same speeds. I wish I could ride more often and get back to a better fitness level so I could go for longer rides, but you've gotta take what you can get. I'll take every second. I turn into even more of a bitchy grumpy asshole than usual the longer I go between rides.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have more hair than that South Park dude! :D

Things I'd do in retirement:

- travel
- hang out in mountains (I still do like to ski, as far as I know, although I haven't been in a while)
- play trumpet
- read books, watch movies, troll people on internet
- count my gold dubloons periodically

No mahjong?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Wrong Asian subtype. I could train as a middle aged half-Japanese sumo wrestler, I suppose, or pound mochi or the like.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wrong Asian subtype. I could train as a middle aged half-Japanese sumo wrestler, I suppose, or pound mochi or the like.
I'm great with stereotypes... how tall are you? I could send you a bike for the summer, a real one with proper size wheels and working everything. You could spray paint it back so no will know how knar it isn't.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Thanks for the offer but I'll be set. Golden Bike Co rents some nice gear, it looks like. Dentist-level.