Quantcast

@@@Middle finger @@@

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
only bike i wouldn't do carbon is DH. have carbon wheels on my half carbon trail bike (which also has carbon bars) and my enduro bike. pretty sure i'm heavier than you.
No regrets on carbon wheels. I'd do it again happily. That said, I'm not as convinced about carbon frames. I think my next bike will be alloy, if those still exist at that very future date.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
No regrets on carbon wheels. I'd do it again happily. That said, I'm not as convinced about carbon frames. I think my next bike will be alloy, if those still exist at that very future date.
I'm on CRABON bike frame numero cinco and have had zero issues with any of them. First set of CRABON wheels? Rolled down a steep rocky roll-in on a local trail going medium speed, rim cracked at the bead even with a Huck Norris in there. Wheels ain't even 2 months old, much less a season. Did I get a bad rim? No se. But the NOBLs have a lifetime warranty, so at least I get a new rim.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm on CRABON bike frame numero cinco and have had zero issues with any of them. First set of CRABON wheels? Rolled down a steep rocky roll-in on a local trail going medium speed, rim cracked at the bead even with a Huck Norris in there. Wheels ain't even 2 months old, much less a season. Did I get a bad rim? No se. But the NOBLs have a lifetime warranty, so at least I get a new rim.
One thing with carbon is that there is much greater potential for variability in the manufacturing process and much higher likelihood of the "infant mortality" you experienced. all Composite aircraft parts get tested with ultrasound to make sure they are good. My guess is that in the bike industry the consumer is the quality control department.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
"JRA"

Okay tubby.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Pretty much every carbon bike I see out on the trails creeks when being pedaled. I'm hearing impaired, and it's loud enough for me to notice. Nuh uh, nope to plastic frames. Do like my carbon bars though.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Wifey and kiddo got through to Canaduh. Apparently they were chosen for random tests, but NBD. The border guard approved of the goalie bag. He told my kid “I’m kind of a goalie, too!”
Hilarious.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Pretty much every carbon bike I see out on the trails creeks when being pedaled. I'm hearing impaired, and it's loud enough for me to notice. Nuh uh, nope to plastic frames. Do like my carbon bars though.
That sounds like more of a user error than getting a crabon frame. Mine only creaks when metal parts need service.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wifey and kiddo got through to Canaduh. Apparently they were chosen for random tests, but NBD.
Like what; algebra, ancient greek history, sing the full canuk national anthem without pausing??

We need to know!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wifey and kiddo got through to Canaduh. Apparently they were chosen for random tests, but NBD. The border guard approved of the goalie bag. He told my kid “I’m kind of a goalie, too!”
Hilarious.
A bad one at that if he let your wife and kid in. ;)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A friend of mine just went through his 3rd noble38 on the back of his Sentinel V2. He’s about 155lbs, had a cushcore in, running 25psi.

Didn’t last the day at Silver Star.

The rims are free, but the PITA factor hardly seems worth it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Went and visited wife's paternal grandmother in her assisted living place. She has her own apartment set up nice and accessible and has dinner in the common room.

Nothing much more planned.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
a. @mandown let me speak for all of us when I say, we're glad you didn't die
2. my buddy cracked his weareone rim while visiting and riding Apex. Claim made Wednesday, new rim delivered to the USA on Monday. BOOMSHAKALAKA!

B. dammit now I want prosciutto

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I try not to eat too much cured meat because of (often) all the nitrates but I do love it. There are a few local brands here who do it without nitrates which is nice. Prosciutto on a tricolour salad is great. Prosciutto with melon, or on pizza, all g.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I cracked two Yeti carbon frames when I stalled trying to pick through tall boulder sections and fell at slow speed, ending with me leaning on said Boulder, but having pivoted on the frame. I'll stick with my alloy going forward. Thanks. Plus they are 30-50% cheaper at the frame level.