Quantcast

&&& Middle FTS &&&

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Not ready for it to only drop down to the mid 60s at night. had the ceiling fan over the bed cranked up. The Sheriff is in town, a buddy from Durango is rolling in. We are supposed to go for a ride after I get home from work. It better be under 90* by then. He will kill me out on the trails but who cares fun will be had.

Espresso then I'm outta here

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
5G implant injection has been scheduled for Sunday morning.

I think my veggies outside are on the brink of swimming. It has been raining here every single day for what must be going on 7 days now. One of the peppers looks like it won't make it. :(

Its May, give us some warmth and sun dammit!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Brakes in the alfa are grinding, meaning it's past time to replace them. Not sure what that means as a dude was in there literally a week ago poking around with the tire. Coincidence? Probably. Either way, I'm sick of throwing money at the car, and am wondering if it's time to get aggressive about replacing it or just fix it and replace further down the road...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Low grade fever and body aches seem to have passed. Now it's time to work and think about putting my taxes together. God damn taxes. :rant:

word nerd. I'm not trying to fix this, I know it's always going to be an FCA product made in italy but if I spend $700 on rear brakes I can drive it until the warranty runs out rather than having to make a decision this weekend.
Oof. I don't know if I'll ever bring myself to spend $700 having someone do my brakes, knowing that parts are half that and the work is fairly easy.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Hannah decided 12:00 to come into our room and 1:20 was a good time to punt Wifey in the back and wake us both up. Who needs REM sleep?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
:wave:

Low grade fever and body aches seem to have passed. Now it's time to work and think about putting my taxes together. God damn taxes. :rant:

Oof. I don't know if I'll ever bring myself to spend $700 having someone do my brakes, knowing that parts are half that and the work is fairly easy.
How much is your time worth?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
word nerd. I'm not trying to fix this, I know it's always going to be an FCA product made in italy but if I spend $700 on rear brakes I can drive it until the warranty runs out rather than having to make a decision this weekend.

How long have you had it?

I sold my last car at 11 years and 150,000 miles and every time I would rotate the tires I would be amazed how the brake pads still had a ton of life in them.

My brakes grind a little bit now and then, but because my car sits for so long between driving it that the rotors get rusty.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How long have you had it?

I sold my last car at 11 years and 150,000 miles and every time I would rotate the tires I would be amazed how the brake pads still had a ton of life in them.

My brakes grind a little bit now and then, but because my car sits for so long between driving it that the rotors get rusty.
And $700 on REAR brakes. What?

What about the front brakes, those aren't cooked? Seems backwards. :confused:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I decided it was time to change the battery in my Pixel 3 yesterday. Brought it into the repair shop and when he pulled the case off, we discovered the back glass was all smashed. Guess I'll stop riding with my phone in my pockets.

Drizzly dreary day. Kids are still "schooling" at home, with no end in sight. Also still no word on when I might get a vaccine. Also still no word on when I might get across the (provincial) border to where the good riding is at.

Blah.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
monocle brake story ahead...

A girl I know dropped off her Porsche for service, including brakes. The service guy included 4 new rotors in the estimate (like massive drilled/slotted OEM rotors) at a significant cost. I had her ask the service guy if they measured the old rotors, they did not and ultimately said "oh no, your rotors are WELL within tolerance, we just thought you'd want new rotors".

No. No she did not. $$$$$ saved.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Here.

Round 3 of "Restrictions" announced last night, new plan is called "Stop the Spike" . Pretty weird to see our 1 Province being decimated by 3rd evolution Covid, while others are over it and moving on already. It sucks because we are on the brink of a civil war between the "Lockdown so we can get over this" people and the "Fuck you, it's my right to not listen to anything" people.

Need to note that the "Fuck you, its my rights" people are primarily legal gun owners and the other side are the "People don't kill people, guns do" crowd...

Most. Political. Flu. Evar.

Just glad I'm working....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Here.

Round 3 of "Restrictions" announced last night, new plan is called "Stop the Spike" . Pretty weird to see our 1 Province being decimated by 3rd evolution Covid, while others are over it and moving on already. It sucks because we are on the brink of a civil war between the "Lockdown so we can get over this" people and the "Fuck you, it's my right to not listen to anything" people.

Need to note that the "Fuck you, its my rights" people are primarily legal gun owners and the other side are the "People don't kill people, guns do" crowd...

Most. Political. Flu. Evar.

Just glad I'm working....
you mean the group that calls themselves patriots and screams about freedom then acts like a selfish twat?

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
you mean the group that calls themselves patriots and screams about freedom then acts like a selfish twat?
Not really. I'm an in-betweener, Very few of us left.. Not an ounce of common sense outside my group....

{Edit} Also would like to add that my friends group is split on this too, its a fight for your right to party thing, and we are very much pro-gun-ownership, but know measures needed to happen. I think we missed the opportunity to get over this quick and our own demands (see: Selfishness) have caused it to stretch out this long. Now our government is trying to solve our problem without "t-t-t-triggering" anyone. Even the Police are now fighting the government over rights infringing "lockdown" measures.... It's bazaar to me.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Oh no, dont get me wrong, I totally understand why you'd pay to have it done. No judgement here.

I'm just not in a position in life to spend that kind of money when I know I can do it in a couple hours for half that.
I never thought i would either. I changed the brakes on my infiniti in a crooked driveway and wondered the same thing

then I had kids, and a house, and my time for recreation dropped to a couple of hours a week, so I'm not going to spend that doing something I can pay a professional to do correctly the first time. Plus all the ancillary concerns...I'd have to buy a new jack, jack stands, adapters for each car, etc. etc, then if I do something wrong and my car is out of function for a week...yeesh. The cost is part of the reason I want to dump the car....brakes on a hyundai are going to be more plentiful and cheap than the Alfa.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Total twilight zone moment.

Driving my wife's car on some rural country roads and the on-board phone app lights up with a call - which appears to be outgoing? It shows an option to transfer from the phone to the cars audio system. Press the button and I get garbled down the well speech coming through. Now this is strange as my phone is NOT paired with her car, nor does it have Bluetooth enabled, so there is no way that it can be trying to communicate with the car. Where the F is this anomalous call coming from? Anyway, call disconnects, then the same thing happens another 2 times in the next 5 minutes.

By this time, I'm kinda freaking out. Pulled my phone out during one of the calls, and sure enough, nothing on mine, no connection, nada, zero, zilch. A few minutes later another call, this time it appears to be incoming and the number coming up appears to be my son's?!?!? Again, transfer to car, and get the down the well garbled speech

Now I'm hearing spooky tv show theme music in me head. I'm retired IT, so have a little bit of knowledge and am coming up totally blank and it's kind of unnerving...

Get to an intersection and notice a big white truck grill behind me. Got a bit of a fuzzy brain for a couple of seconds, then started to laugh my damn fool ass off. The truck behind me was my son. His phone IS paired with his mom's car. He was close enough behind me at a couple of points during traffic that his phone paired with his moms car when he was trying to talk to his girlfriend.

Ain't technology grand?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not really. I'm an in-betweener, Very few of us left.. Not an ounce of common sense outside my group....

{Edit} Also would like to add that my friends group is split on this too, its a fight for your right to party thing, and we are very much pro-gun-ownership, but know measures needed to happen. I think we missed the opportunity to get over this quick and our own demands (see: Selfishness) have caused it to stretch out this long. Now our government is trying to solve our problem without "t-t-t-triggering" anyone. Even the Police are now fighting the government over rights infringing "lockdown" measures.... It's bazaar to me.
Imma go out on a limb here and guess you're in Alberta.

Total twilight zone moment.

Driving my wife's car on some rural country roads and the on-board phone app lights up with a call - which appears to be outgoing? It shows an option to transfer from the phone to the cars audio system. Press the button and I get garbled down the well speech coming through. Now this is strange as my phone is NOT paired with her car, nor does it have Bluetooth enabled, so there is no way that it can be trying to communicate with the car. Where the F is this anomalous call coming from? Anyway, call disconnects, then the same thing happens another 2 times in the next 5 minutes.

By this time, I'm kinda freaking out. Pulled my phone out during one of the calls, and sure enough, nothing on mine, no connection, nada, zero, zilch. A few minutes later another call, this time it appears to be incoming and the number coming up appears to be my son's?!?!? Again, transfer to car, and get the down the well garbled speech

Now I'm hearing spooky tv show theme music in me head. I'm retired IT, so have a little bit of knowledge and am coming up totally blank and it's kind of unnerving...

Get to an intersection and notice a big white truck grill behind me. Got a bit of a fuzzy brain for a couple of seconds, then started to laugh my damn fool ass off. The truck behind me was my son. His phone IS paired with his mom's car. He was close enough behind me at a couple of points during traffic that his phone paired with his moms car when he was trying to talk to his girlfriend.

Ain't technology grand?
I was going to go with 5g vaccine.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
monocle brake story ahead...

A girl I know dropped off her Porsche for service, including brakes. The service guy included 4 new rotors in the estimate (like massive drilled/slotted OEM rotors) at a significant cost. I had her ask the service guy if they measured the old rotors, they did not and ultimately said "oh no, your rotors are WELL within tolerance, we just thought you'd want new rotors".

No. No she did not. $$$$$ saved.
We've had a few situations like this before with Wifey. One more reason why I hate people.