Quantcast

>>> Middle FTS<<<

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
he can't be bothered with details when it comes to the remote combustion vehicle revolution.
I really fucking can’t, actually, you’re totally right. There are 100,000 better solutions than a fucking overweight gas pickup truck. People just need to stop fucking around and understand where they really live. Just one more time on that location:

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
EVs would be cleaner overall (the logistical issues of power grid reliability in your locale aside) even if all fueled by coal, iirc.

I knew I'd find stupid in that thing

In essence, it assumes that any additional electricity needed to power an EV
would come from the same mix of sources that generate electric-
ity to meet all other current demands.

Not only does their model not take into account population growth, it assumes no additional demand from completely switching all vehicles to EVs. The idea that every gas vehicle on the eastern seaboard and the west coasts can just hop on a grid and not increase demand seems a bit ludicrous.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
first time turning on laptop in a month.....that update i had put off for the last year due to lack of space took about a hour....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I knew I'd find stupid in that thing

In essence, it assumes that any additional electricity needed to power an EV
would come from the same mix of sources that generate electric-
ity to meet all other current demands.

Not only does their model not take into account population growth, it assumes no additional demand from completely switching all vehicles to EVs. The idea that every gas vehicle on the eastern seaboard and the west coasts can just hop on a grid and not increase demand seems a bit ludicrous.
Given that PV is the cheapest way to add power now, it’d probably be a more realistic option to assume PV (with battery storage) is the source.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Given that PV is the cheapest way to add power now, it’d probably be a more realistic option to assume PV (with battery storage) is the source.

You're getting as bad as changleen posting industry trade mags making the case for the industries they represent. It's about like asking richard cunningham about intense bikes ;)

Living the land of almost endless sun I do agree that solar needs to explode way more than it has. I don't however agree with your original premise that 100% EV cars would still be cleaner even if running off 100% coal power.

And not everyone has the cash to just convert their house like you did. I'd take our govt a lot more seriously if this is where they put investment.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Ugg. We cleared about 5 acres of dense scrub oak and doug firs this week. Leaving behind so-called “mother oaks,” some marketable doug firs and about 2 acres for planting grapes. Feel like a murderer, frankly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't however agree with your original premise that 100% EV cars would still be cleaner even if running off 100% coal power.
high carbon.PNG
low carbon.PNG

Citation included in the top screenshot. This is kind of a stupid paper overall in that much of it was just figuring out that there are minimal differences in various charging scenarios (like WP is workplace charging, TR time restricted) as compared to the overall impact of the carbon-intensity of the grid powering any of these charging scenarios.

But it also shows that even on 93% coal against their hypothetical modeled gas vehicle that's probably much more efficient than the median gas vehicle out there now BEVs are still marginally cleaner. PHEVs win in that scenario because of their on-gas miles being more efficient.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
View attachment 187331View attachment 187332

Citation included in the top screenshot. This is kind of a stupid paper overall in that much of it was just figuring out that there are minimal differences in various charging scenarios (like WP is workplace charging, TR time restricted) as compared to the overall impact of the carbon-intensity of the grid powering any of these charging scenarios.

But it also shows that even on 93% coal against their hypothetical modeled gas vehicle that's probably much more efficient than the median gas vehicle out there now BEVs are still marginally cleaner. PHEVs win in that scenario because of their on-gas miles being more efficient.

I'll check it out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
And not everyone has the cash to just convert their house like you did. I'd take our govt a lot more seriously if this is where they put investment.
Private industry is kinda taking care of this, at least here.

From a recent bill of mine. Even though we are net negative over the whole year and only drew a small number of kWh from the grid net this particular month, my Renewable*Connect program subscription still offsets what it assumes my house size should draw from the grid... and as the bill shows at least for this month this program cost me negative money.

It's a REC program, sure, but one backed up by actual large PV installations that Xcel has rolled out so not some carbonfund trickery.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Private industry is kinda taking care of this, at least here.

From a recent bill of mine. Even though we are net negative over the whole year and only drew a small number of kWh from the grid net this particular month, my Renewable*Connect program subscription still offsets what it assumes my house size should draw from the grid... and as the bill shows at least for this month this program cost me negative money.

It's a REC program, sure, but one backed up by actual large PV installations that Xcel has rolled out so not some carbonfund trickery.

why am I not seening panel cost and installation (and in my case the snowproofed versions)?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
why am I not seening panel cost and installation (and in my case the snowproofed versions)?
This is a program through Xcel that involves PV on their utility-scale end. Distinct from my own PV.

I'm just still signed up for it out of inertia from before we had the panels and knew we'd overproduce for the year. And now that I know it's actually making me a pittance no reason to have them not pay me $5/mo, really.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
View attachment 187331View attachment 187332

You know what would help even more? Not driving your vehicle as much, no matter what type of fuel it runs on. Driving and EV is for most folks around here just a way to greenwash their otherwise not so sustainable lifestyle.
We need to change our lifestyle and not just try to make it "greener".
But hey, why should I care? You guys have the kids for which you ruin the planet. ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You know what would help even more? Not driving your vehicle as much, no matter what type of fuel it runs on. Driving and EV is for most folks around here just a way to greenwash their otherwise not so sustainable lifestyle.
We need to change our lifestyle and not just try to make it "greener".
But hey, why should I care? You guys have the kids for which you ruin the planet. ;)
Whether it'd help even more or wouldn't depends on the specifics. But yes, even if the ~20% of total carbon emissions due to passenger vehicle miles magically turned into 0% a whole chunk of the problem remains and is baked into our infrastructure.