Quantcast

@^@ Middle GMT@^@

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
worst part about flying....the clusterfuck that is getting picked up...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the only time i have a fever is when i'm blowing chunks....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
DIA is super-easy in this regard... one of the advantages of a "modern" airport.

I guess 1995 isn't really "modern" any more, but you get the idea. :D
i can describe getting picked up at the charlotte airport to the start of a formula 1 race...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
97.3°F here. Been pretty solid 97-97.5 daily since we got this thermo a couple months ago...
I run a consistent 97.5.
Dad brought his thermometer over and I re-checked... 97.7º on his thermometer. So I re-checked with ours, and it showed 97.7º as well. So... I might have moved around or accidentally opened my pie hole a bit on that first go-round? Either way... no fever. And a bit cold-blooded?

Grrr...

Both fucking hard drives failed on my desktop. 0/C:, a SSD, failed 9/26, replaced it, now 1/D:, 2 TB hard drive, making noise and it has my whole life on it.

Might have backed it up something like a year ago...

I guess I will be asking a recovery service to try to save my sorry ass...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Grrr...

Both fucking hard drives failed on my desktop. 0/C:, a SSD, failed 9/26, replaced it, now 1/D:, 2 TB hard drive, making noise and it has my whole life on it.

RAID in your future?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Grrr...

Booooo.......

My next computer will definitely have a RAID array of some sort. I currently back everything up manually and it's a pain in the dick.

Which reminds me, probably time to do it again. I also keep a third HDD in my locker at work with most of our digital pictures on it, just in case anything ever happens to the house. This was driven home last march when our neighbors house caught fire. The fire was put out pretty quick but their desktop suffered water damage.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
i've entertained the idea of doing it as well, especially now that hard drives are so cheap. all my photos of my kids are digital, plus over a decade of my own.
I ended up with a Synology Diskstation DS418 a month or so back. Have it set up with 4 x 4TB drives in a RAID 5 array. It holds the past 10 or so years worth of photos along with my entire music library, and every digitized home video of my childhood. This NAS backs up to the Backblaze cloud for additional safety.

I want to say it cost me about $800, which is a small price to pay for the priceless memories it retains.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
usually in the low to mid 97s as well. so if we're all regularly in that range where the hell does the 98.7 "average/normal" temp figure come from? paging @Toshi to the white courtesy phone

So far today I have:

- done a 30 minute Power Zone Max on le Peloton
- snuggled with the baby and given her good tickles and eating of her baby neck
- rolled into work late and gotten my half day's worth of work done posthaste
- given lectures to the residents via Zoom on pancreatitis and financial matters, intruding on Stoney's turf

Still left on the docket:

- study visit two for the COVID vaccine trial, 100 mcg more of placebo or mRNA into my arm to come
- donating blood
- cooking up two lovely wagyu hybrid bavettes

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

So far today I have:

- done a 30 minute Power Zone Max on le Peloton
- snuggled with the baby and given her good tickles and eating of her baby neck
- rolled into work late and gotten my half day's worth of work done posthaste
- given lectures to the residents via Zoom on pancreatitis and financial matters, intruding on Stoney's turf

Still left on the docket:

- study visit two for the COVID vaccine trial, 100 mcg more of placebo or mRNA into my arm to come
- donating blood
- cooking up two lovely wagyu hybrid bavettes

Since you mentioned the ///Peleton, have you looked at or tried the Assault Bike? I might see one in my future. My current trainer arrangement isn’t floating my boat.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
That will just add complexity to what he needs to do and offer a false sense of your stuff being backed up.

If one drive is garbage or corrupt, the second, third, fourth etc etc will also be the same.
n00b here: Correct me if i'm wrong, which seems to be the case based on your above post, but isn't the whole point of going with an array to back shit up when a drive goes tits up?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
n00b here: Correct me if i'm wrong, which seems to be the case based on your above post, but isn't the whole point of going with an array to back shit up when a drive goes tits up?
It really depends on what you're trying to protect against and also what raid level you're using.

RAID 1 for example, which will mirror drives might protect you from a disk failure, but if you're actual data is corrupt/infected/encrypted/deleted/whatever, the data on both drives will be fubar'd. Some people don't realize this and get screwed over.

@Adventurous has a good handle on it, it looks like. RAID protecting from a local disk failure and if everything goes tits up, there is a disconnected backup somewhere else.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It really depends on what you're trying to protect against and also what raid level you're using.

RAID 1 for example, which will mirror drives might protect you from a disk failure, but if you're actual data is corrupt/infected/encrypted/deleted/whatever, the data on both drives will be fubar'd. Some people don't realize this and get screwed over.

@Adventurous has a good handle on it, it looks like. RAID protecting from a local disk failure and if everything goes tits up, there is a disconnected backup somewhere else.
its been a while since i've read, but IIRC i'd want at least RAID5

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

Gotcha.

I guess a physical failure is my biggest worry. It's not like I'm some kind of super user or running IT at some Fortune 100 conglomo. I'm just trying to protect against losing all the baby pictures.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Gotcha.

I guess a physical failure is my biggest worry. It's not like I'm some kind of super user or running IT and some Fortune 100 conglomo. I'm just trying to protect against losing all the baby pictures.
Keep it simple and just back them up somewhere else. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Booooo.......

My next computer will definitely have a RAID array of some sort. I currently back everything up manually and it's a pain in the dick.

Which reminds me, probably time to do it again. I also keep a third HDD in my locker at work with most of our digital pictures on it, just in case anything ever happens to the house. This was driven home last march when our neighbors house caught fire. The fire was put out pretty quick but their desktop suffered water damage.
Understandable if you don't trust teh googles et al, but how about cloud storage. All my shit goes to a dropbox account. I just keep personal financial data seperate.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Since you mentioned the ///Peleton, have you looked at or tried the Assault Bike? I might see one in my future. My current trainer arrangement isn’t floating my boat.
Didn’t try anything else.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Afternoon Monkeys.

We may have a winner. This truck is in overall very good shape and seems to run well. It's dirty, but that is just effort. I think I can get it for about $5k. That would be half the price of the one in Tacoma. That would make me a very happy man.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Understandable if you don't trust teh googles et al, but how about cloud storage. All my shit goes to a dropbox account. I just keep personal financial data seperate.
Google can have the baby pictures. I really ought to look into this more, but as it sits our entire digital photo library consists of just shy of 72GB. Not sure what that cost me a month, vs 10 minutes a month backing up to 2 hard drives.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Google can have the baby pictures. I really ought to look into this more, but as it sits our entire digital photo library consists of just shy of 72GB. Not sure what that cost me a month, vs 10 minutes a month backing up to 2 hard drives.
Well you don't need to keep backing up the old stuff. I'd archive the existing 72GB on a few different bits of physical media stored in different locations and just cloud the new stuff. Google pictures gives you 15 GB gratis.