Quantcast

>>> Middle Nonsense<<<

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just plowed into a FedEx driver who stepped out from behind his truck into the bike lane. Thankfully the box he was carrying took the brunt of the impact. Never played football but somehow my instinct was to lower my shoulder and hit him in the midsection with decent form.
Wow. Is the bike okay?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've almost been hit multiple times on the 1 mile ride from my house to the sheltered bike path around southern Denver-metro. I don't ride my road bike anymore unless I'm starting at the sheltered point. People in general are stupid.
I think it was when my younger brother and I lived in aurora that he got nailed riding home from work at the REI flagship store that he worked at....still has the colnago he got out of the insurance settlement to this day....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've almost been hit multiple times on the 1 mile ride from my house to the sheltered bike path around southern Denver-metro. I don't ride my road bike anymore unless I'm starting at the sheltered point. People in general are stupid.
I live where I do in part because my 7 mile route to work is almost exclusively on a protected multi-use path physically separated from cars by a curb and distance. Only one semi-sketchy road crossing, which has a pedestrian crossing light that I've taken to using as of late.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I live where I do in part because my 7 mile route to work is almost exclusively on a protected multi-use path physically separated from cars by a curb and distance. Only one semi-sketchy road crossing, which has a pedestrian crossing light that I've taken to using as of late.
I had 3 collisions when I commuted on the Burk Gillman. Two head on collisions where people were looking at their phones while riding and veered into me. Another where someone rear ended me after I had to stop because a group of pedestrians decided to take the whole width of the path. Safer than getting hit by cars but people pay even less attention when cars are removed from the equation. Now throw in inexperienced people zooming around on rental e-bikes.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
as far as living in colorado...

worst....highline village apartments in ...aurora....although we did have mountain views...

wheatridge....first place we moved to after aurora...duplex off of 470 going towards golden...quietest spot.

wheatridge....part two....small apartment building three or four blocks from wheatridge cyclery....quiet also....REI flagship store was only a couple miles away I think...closer commute for brother since he abandoned his westy....

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I remember waking up on the operating table with my face split open from when a driver swung across the center line to hang a right into his driveway and I went through his windshield with my face. Then I blacked out again and came to a couple of days later with 24 stiches holding my face together and a dealing with a TBI for years

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had 3 collisions when I commuted on the Burk Gillman. Two head on collisions where people were looking at their phones while riding and veered into me. Another where someone rear ended me after I had to stop because a group of pedestrians decided to take the whole width of the path. Safer than getting hit by cars but people pay even less attention when cars are removed from the equation. Now throw in inexperienced people zooming around on rental e-bikes.
You managed to misspell both Burke and Gilman. :D

Seattle's paths are much more heavily subscribed. I'll encounter maybe a dozen other trail users over 7 miles on a typical commute, most of them people walking dogs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Saw a pileated woodpecker in the backyard tonight. Was digging into some old rotten stumps, and I managed to have my camera nearby. Got close enough for some decent pics and even a video. Will upload those from the camera tomorrow.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
as far as living in colorado...

worst....highline village apartments in ...aurora....although we did have mountain views...

wheatridge....first place we moved to after aurora...duplex off of 470 going towards golden...quietest spot.

wheatridge....part two....small apartment building three or four blocks from wheatridge cyclery....quiet also....REI flagship store was only a couple miles away I think...closer commute for brother since he abandoned his westy....
Evergreen drivers = terrible
Outback drivers = terrible
Outback drivers near Evergreen = get far out of their way

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Evergreen drivers = terrible
Outback drivers = terrible
Outback drivers near Evergreen = get far out of their way
I only ever remember going to evergreen once to drop my brother off for the triple bypass I think...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, wifey had a sleep test done a month ago, as she was having problems with snoring, and never feeling like she got a good sleep. Turns out she has mid-grade sleep apnea, at one point in her study, she didn’t breathe for 17 seconds. Which is quite a lot. They are prescribing a cpap, and she’s pretty bummed about it. Any of you deal with this?
God, we are feeling old.
But the snoring was terrible...