Quantcast

Middle of the week Blurday

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I got up a 3 to bid on a couple of 1800s ivory-scaled straight razors. The blades are trash but I will harvest the scales for a couple of rescaling projects I have waiting.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 6.24.04 AM.png

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I got up a 3 to bid on a couple of 1800s ivory-scaled straight razors. The blades are trash but I will harvest the scales for a couple of rescaling projects I have waiting.

View attachment 145712
Essplain yourself? I love my 1950's safety razor. Why the F' we ever switched to the modern razors baffles me. Well not really it's all about selling more expensive heads but what exactly do you do with the above razors?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Essplain yourself? I love my 1950's safety razor. Why the F' we ever switched to the modern razors baffles me. Well not really it's all about selling more expensive heads but what exactly do you do with the above razors?
Yeah, those 40s and 50s Gillettes shave nicer than any multiblade turd you can buy today. And if you don't want to go vintage, you can pick up a Razorock Gamechanger for $60 that will last you for decades.

I have a Henckels Friodur straight razor that has broken scales aka "the handle." The blade is in like-new condition and Friodurs are getting rather expensive these days. I will depin the scales from one of these, reshape as needed, make some fancy washers on my jeweler's lathe, then peen them onto the Frio blade. Ivory is hard to depin because they peened them without washers, so most people don't mess with them, but I know how to do it with about an 80% success rate. When it doesn't work, the scale breaks. Basically I'm putting together a nice, highly desirable razor on the cheap.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Big day for the ITER project. Lowering the cryostat base into the tokamak pit. It's the largest single component of the entire machine at 1,250 tons. Placement will be within +- 2mm.
My dad used to oversee similar projects, but for the primary cooling pumps on nuclear reactors. design, validation, stress testing, installation. when he moved from working on subs (and the few nuclear aircraft carriers that were produced) to power plants the systems got way bigger. strict tolerances on the piping too, we're talking ID of about a meter +/- a few mm, and wall thickness of 3" +/-1mm. there were also very strict requirements for the metallurgy on all the components (piping, impeller, impeller casing) to withstand the heat and pressure.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
My dad used to oversee similar projects, but for the primary cooling pumps on nuclear reactors. design, validation, stress testing, installation. when he moved from working on subs (and the few nuclear aircraft carriers that were produced) to power plants the systems got way bigger.
It blows my mind that modern nuke subs never need to be refueled.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ride night. Woooo. Fingers crossed for no rain.

We now have most of a lawn. Our neighbor told us the previous owner was a biker and buried shit in the back yard. I've found brake rotors, electrical motors, cinder blocks etc etc.. new owner plowed it, laid down some new dirt and sod. They are going to do some repairs to the massive shed, so have left the back of the yard as is. They're going to cover the first water bill, so told us to water the new sod as much as we want. Front yard is the same story.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Ride night. Woooo. Fingers crossed for no rain.

We now have most of a lawn. Our neighbor told us the previous owner was a biker and buried shit in the back yard. I've found brake rotors, electrical motors, cinder blocks etc etc.. new owner plowed it, laid down some new dirt and sod. They are going to do some repairs to the massive shed, so have left the back of the yard as is. They're going to cover the first water bill, so told us to water the new sod as much as we want. Front yard is the same story.
I assume you've run all this past syadasti JBP for the appropriate approval?

:D

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Lovely morning here before the day turns hot and humid. This must be the 1st time since March when I don't have a meeting between 10 and 11AM so I baked a bread instead.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
also; pull-ups and chin-ups fixed every back problem I've ever had.

Unless you're court-ordered to stay away from playgrounds, go do some pull-ups.

wait, what?
It's true. I used to have this spot in my back that would bother me all the time. One day, mid pull-up, there was a small pop and a wave of relief washed over my hurty place. I'll get a knot there every now and again, but never once has it returned with the same fury.