Quantcast

>>> Middle Shitshow GMT<<<

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We've started to just donate a ton of nice furniture that doesn't fit around the house since we moved Hannah's room and got Haley her new bed. It's not worth the $100 we *might* get out if it.

I really want a new bike, but I don't think I want to deal with the effort of selling mine (nor adtl px of a new bike). I might just change the angles a bit steeper, stiffen the hell out of the shock and call it a day.

I had one person try to pull the Bicycle Blue Book price on a small FS bike I just sold. Told her to fuck off. There are zero nice(r) small FS bikes available right now. Demand drives prices, not what an online organization says.

People just expect too much for too little.
"I'm a single mom and I've been saving up, will you sell it for half price"

I can't remember if that was for the DJ or one of the two DH bikes I recently had to deal with people and sell.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
We've started to just donate a ton of nice furniture that doesn't fit around the house since we moved Hannah's room and got Haley her new bed. It's not worth the $100 we *might* get out if it.

I really want a new bike, but I don't think I want to deal with the effort of selling mine (nor adtl px of a new bike). I might just change the angles a bit steeper, stiffen the hell out of the shock and call it a day.

I had one person try to pull the Bicycle Blue Book price on a small FS bike I just sold. Told her to fuck off. There are zero nice(r) small FS bikes available right now. Demand drives prices, not what an online organization says.

we usually donate/curb alert old shit for this reason. Selling furniture/household items can be very difficult and is rarely rewarding. I've found that stuff you can ship will usually attract real buyers. Earlier in the spring I sold $400 worth of gear in an evening over the course of several beers. Packing it up and shipping it off took some time, but pictures and listing and throwing it on "online swap meet" netted me four sales in an hour.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

for small items its not worth the hassle of selling, but i keep track of what i donate when it comes to itemize taxes. or maybe that's just what us poors do.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
we usually donate/curb alert old shit for this reason. Selling furniture/household items can be very difficult and is rarely rewarding. I've found that stuff you can ship will usually attract real buyers. Earlier in the spring I sold $400 worth of gear in an evening over the course of several beers. Packing it up and shipping it off took some time, but pictures and listing and throwing it on "online swap meet" netted me four sales in an hour.
maybe its just around here, but we've had good luck selling random stuff locally (eg pickup only) through FB market place. hell we've had people give us money for stuff we listed for free.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My wife has been fighting her mom on this for a while. The in-laws have so many housewares type items that they want to sell, but don't know how to use FB marketplace nor have any idea what things are worth (or lack there of). Just because you paid money for it and it's never been used doesn't automatically make it still worth money.

Yard sale this past weekend yielded some results, but I think it was eye opening for MIL. Spending 30 hours getting ready for a yard sale that earns $250 isn't worth all the effort.

People just don't want to pay $40 for some rickety old antique chair, just because it's an antique, when people are giving away that sort of thing for nothing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
People just don't want to pay $40 for some rickety old antique chair, just because it's an antique, when people are giving away that sort of thing for nothing.
We can't get MIL to let us finish emptying the CA condo and starting a reno because "there are still antiques in there". Thought shit. That empty condo is costing you at least $3500/m of income and has been for three years. Are they worth $126,000? Because that's what it's cost you to date.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My mom (who's in France) found a local market vendor who put together a fresh fruit basket and brought it to me at the hospital.

Screenshot_20210901-123834_Photos.jpg

I can't even begin to explain how good this made me feel, and how much better this food is than what they serve at the hospital.

Winning

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
for small items its not worth the hassle of selling, but i keep track of what i donate when it comes to itemize taxes. or maybe that's just what us poors do.
You have enough deductions to *itemize*?!? :eek:

We can't get MIL to let us finish emptying the CA condo and starting a reno because "there are still antiques in there". Thought shit. That empty condo is costing you at least $3500/m of income and has been for three years. Are they worth $126,000? Because that's what it's cost you to date.
Trying to reason with a hoarder... seems like a fool's errand. Have you considered burning the place down? Or maybe sell "as-is" and let some other poor motherfucker deal with all that horseshit.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Trying to reason with a hoarder... seems like a fool's errand. Have you considered burning the place down? Or maybe sell "as-is" and let some other poor motherfucker deal with all that horseshit.
An old friend from high school hired an auction company to come out and deal with all the junk her mom had hoarded. That house was crawling with junk vultures who wanted to throw their money away. Don't know what the commission was, but definitly better than trying to deal with it yourself.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Oh ... I've tried to get her on board with selling. She "just can't find a time for her Realtor to come look at it".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
An old friend from high school hired an auction company to come out and deal with all the junk her mom had hoarded. That house was crawling with junk vultures want to throw their money away. Don't know what the commission was, but definitly better than trying to deal with it yourself.
my wife did that with her father's house after he died, but after we went through pretty much everything ourselves to take what we wanted (tools, furniture, etc).

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
She's really upset that there is an issue of spiked housing costs for renters in Santa Cruz. I've been holding on calling her out as part of the problem. Because she has a unoccupied residency, which should be available to the rental market. If she doesn't register the amount of money her "antiques" are worth, I'm calling her out on that. It might cause tears.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
And from the good Wal-Mart customer service department…
recently I ordered a new IPad 8th generation for $299. Great, came quickly. Everything looked good, said 8th Gen on the box, came with the new usb-c charger, etc.
While doing some task or another, I notice in the ‘about’ page in settings that it is actually a 6th Gen.
Called Wal-Mart, sent them a screen shot, and they refunded the entire amount, and told me just to keep it.
Sweet!
the evil empire did me a solid!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just received an email regarding our Ikon Passes:

"Europe Is Yours: Italy’s Dolomiti Superski and Austria’s Kitzbühel join Zermatt in Switzerland."

Meanwhile:

:disgust:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I read if you have a clean test you’re OK, or at least it wasn’t as draconian as it sounded from the headline.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001