Quantcast

))) Middle(((

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I am serious and I am building and maintaining instruments which sniff the air and detect chemical vapors like ammonia. The tightest range instrument we make is 0-50 ppm.

I know a certain aerospace company bought one we set up for hydraulic oil vapor. A deep sea company uses our instrument to test their rebreathers ability to scrub ammonia.

Mostly we sell these instruments in fruit and hop cold storage facilities around WA state. Theres not really any place like the PNW for sheer number of ammonia reefer facilities.
I wonder if we know the same people. We must only be a couple degrees of separation away. I’ve heard of oil vapor usage, and fruit ripe/rot detection. From what I’ve heard ammonia is one of the easier things to detect.

Did you ever see the Japanese breath sniffing robot gum commercials? I think it was “Mister Sniff” or something similar, where the robot could rate breath on a scale of 1 to 10.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
How about pee sniffers, better? ;)
Pee is harder to detect the smell of. The ammonia smell it generates isn't from ammonia in the pee when it’s released. There’s a subsequent chemical event that results in the ammonia smell. There’s various other things to sniff in pee, and it’s not a uniform composition. There’s coffee and asparagus and bacterial infections and the list goes on. The sniffer can’t easily identify just “pee.” Farts and turds are easier, or so I’ve been told. As pointed out, the issue is farting into the detector with enough gusto.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Pee is harder to detect the smell of. The ammonia smell it generates isn't from ammonia in the pee when it’s released. There’s a subsequent chemical event that results in the ammonia smell. There’s various other things to sniff in pee, and it’s not a uniform composition. There’s coffee and asparagus and bacterial infections and the list goes on. The sniffer can’t easily identify just “pee.” Farts and turds are easier, or so I’ve been told. As pointed out, the issue is farting into the detector with enough gusto.
I'd ask what makes you some kind of pee expert, but then I realized I probably don't want to know.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I wonder if we know the same people. We must only be a couple degrees of separation away. I’ve heard of oil vapor usage, and fruit ripe/rot detection. From what I’ve heard ammonia is one of the easier things to detect.

Did you ever see the Japanese breath sniffing robot gum commercials? I think it was “Mister Sniff” or something similar, where the robot could rate breath on a scale of 1 to 10.
Haven't seen the Japanese robot sniffer yet.

And yes people are using our instruments for ethylene detection in fruit ripening situations.

I can't imagine that ammonia detection is a big industry. Theres a chance my people know your people. Weirder shit has happened!