Quantcast

MIDDLEBURN RS8 X-Type!!! Finally out....

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Middleburns look so much better on a steel frame than any of the newer crop of outboard cranks.

Would love a pair, dare say that the isis with an skf bb would last longer than an external though

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Would love a pair, dare say that the isis with an skf bb would last longer than an external though
Probably, I have been beating the crap out of the FSA in snow, mud, streams heat, dust and just all around slamming my weight on landings and its still going strong... Id like to run a SKF but for some reason I cant remember if it was hard to get or a PIA for me at the time to get ahold of one....

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I have a set of burns on my trials bike with the 16T 1 piece ti bash they used to make now for going on 8 or 9 years ?!?!?!?!??? and they have taken a serious beating,no signs of replacing or fatigue.

Awsome to see this,too bad I just ordered saints the other day.

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Is it just me or does it look like they just made an axle to use there isis cranks with an x type bb. Im not knocking the middleburn cranks just seems a bit lazy when we've been waiting for so long for them to make these and thats all they do.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
YAY! I've found the cranks for my NAHBS bikes.
I don't think I'd ever trade in the Saint cranks that I use on DH and DS bikes, but it'll be rad to have a more "modern" choice for XC bikes that need to be geeky.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
RS-8's are a XC crank, they need to do one for the RS-7. I ran Middleburns for years and never had a problem with them. On my DH bike switched to Saints a few seasons ago, and at this point don't think I'd go back to Middleburns for DH.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is it just me or does it look like they just made an axle to use there isis cranks with an x type bb. Im not knocking the middleburn cranks just seems a bit lazy when we've been waiting for so long for them to make these and thats all they do.
That's not an ISIS spindle.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
That's not an ISIS spindle.
It's not an ISIS spindle, but it looks like ans ISIS spline on both ends, and a preloader on the left like 970 XTR. So they could be the same arms as before with a new spindle that fits outboard BB's. Otherwise, why wouldn't the arm be fixed to one side of the crank ading strength and saving weight?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's not an ISIS spindle, but it looks like ans ISIS spline on both ends, and a preloader on the left like 970 XTR. So they could be the same arms as before with a new spindle that fits outboard BB's. Otherwise, why wouldn't the arm be fixed to one side of the crank ading strength and saving weight?
My point was that I don't think a normal ISIS crank arm would fit on the end of that spindle. IIRC the spindle has to be 24mm diameter to fit a Shimano BB, and an ISIS spindle is smaller than that. I could be wrong though.

You're probably right that doing things that way would be better, but from a manufacturing standpoint it's also a bunch harder. I'm sure that's why they did it. I still think they're different arms though.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Probably, I have been beating the crap out of the FSA in snow, mud, streams heat, dust and just all around slamming my weight on landings and its still going strong... Id like to run a SKF but for some reason I cant remember if it was hard to get or a PIA for me at the time to get ahold of one....
They don't make the SKF wider then 68/73. That was the problem for me. I have a SKF fr-600 or whatever it is and they are pretty bomb proof.
I have 2 sets of Middy 7s just sitting because the FSA 83mm bb is impossible to find in the States, only place that still has them is CRC.