Quantcast

Midnight Skateparkin'

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
Wooie, Just got back from my first skatepark session, I hit the ashland skatepark up. I can't really do anything yet, i was just riding around and getting used to it. I love how the bmx flows up and down and all that good stuff. Any tips on some things i should be try as a beginner? good good stuff, too bad i'm ready to faint after just a few minutes(i never leave the seat on my mtb).

Oh btw, this is the park (don't be stealin my idea, don't need any cops cruisin ;) )Ashland Skatepark It looks different in the dark, half the snake run is pitch black.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
You have lights at that park? I tried a midnight run a few times, it doesn't work out so well when it's been raining all day. Sliding over the lip of the bowl and going 8 feet to flat sucks.

That is a gorgeous looking bowl, damn.

The Ito

Aug 28, 2003
Ashland, OR
It's a dawn till dusk park, so there are no lights in the park. I wanted to go when no one was there so kids wouldn't make fun of me. The park is dark and theres a babbling brook that runs next to it, so the noise of 1 bike is easily masked, plus the bikes all black. I was feeling all stealthy.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Oh and things to learn, riding fakie(backwards) I have no idea hos to do it well but it's rather essential and looks god when you can do it well(may help you save face in front of the 12 year olds).

The Ito

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
riding backwards is all about practice...thousands of hours...find a slanted drive way or just a fairly steep hill, pedal up to it seated, come to a stop take off your foot, push back, put foot on pedal, pedal backwards(helps with balance) and try to go for a long time, to get back just hit your rear brake lift up your front, look where you want to go and turn around, after awhile you should be able to do it without brakes...but yeah its a b**ch, just someday spend like 4 hours trying, and keep practicing...have fun!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Misfitslacker
learn to double peg and stall on a quater, its the best and most important thing for bmx in a skatepark...oh yeah droping in is pretty importat
Double peg is pretty advanced... try getting comfortable going back and forth in a mini, get a feel for pumping the bike so you can do it without pedaling. That skill will make you smoother (and less tired) everywhere else in the park. :)

The Captain

Chimp
Aug 30, 2003
High on a Mountain Top
Have fun!!! don't be intimidateted by those that haven't even hit puberty yet. just go out and do what feels right to start with. Get a feel for how the park flows. try hopping just before the lips to make the drop in smooth. PLAY HARD!! It looks like a fun park to ride. Unfortunately our park in Asheville is skateboards only..... We used to poach it at night but some jack off spraypainted all over the park and now they have security cameras....no more late night missions.